Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, still researching here. I did find install instructions for the recor kit and frankly do not like the idea of cutting the factory fuel line and installing compression fittings, goes against everything I ever learned about plumbing. Also, do not see the need for another WIF/ heater, so am leaning toward the nictane. My question is, does anyone have install instructions for the nictane kit and does it require cutting the fuel line? thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No problems to date with my Racor setup. I personally like the addtl WIF separator (where you can actually see the water) and the location for the drain is easier to get to if you install it inside the rail. My Racor kit came with clamps to go over the hose. I didn't really like this but installed it and haven't had any problems in 6 months and 7500 miles. I went with Racor simply for ease of installation - I didn't like the idea of having to lower the tank to disconnect the fuel fittings. I don't have a need for the heater part so just left it disconnected.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, just checked out nictane directions, does'nt look like you need to drop the fuel tank!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have installed both setups on different model years. The nicktane kit can be mounted and installed with out dropping tank on the LLY trucks, change in the sending unit that allows it. Very easy install. Racor kit is nice as it has a WIF and heater which may be important here in Michigan.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have put the Racor instructions on the web site. Just click on this link. All the filter setups do a great job of filtering. It just depends on the options you want and where you want it mounted.

Eric

What is different n the LLY that you don't have to lower the tank?

Greg

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Greg, the sending unit is offset in the tank now. Its easy to get to the lines. The sender is not 'centered' on top of the tank.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Thanks Eric that's nice to know.. i've seen an LLY sender but not the actual truck! that will make things easier. as it is, the only time i lower the tank is on 04 LB7. i lower it about 4". on 01-03 there is no need. now i know there isn't on an LLY either..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Educate me, Why would you need a heater in the fuel filter? There is one in the stock filter. Plus the fuel sits in the lines and the tank, and the cooler without being heated in the winter!? Why do you need one heater, let alone two?

·
Registered
704 Posts
The fuel may get too thick to flow through the filter media, but still flow through the line. Even though you have a heater in the OEM filter, it has to make it through the nictane filter BEFORE it can be heated by the OEM fuel heater. This could be an issue in the colder climates.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I will add adding the water seperator bowl and heater is cheap insurance .... In saying that those running the Cat system without in colder climates have not had issue that I recall ...

Todays winter "mix" along with a good additive seems to be jim dandy ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
i was a bit surpised too. i had 2 people call me this winter when their OEM filter gelled up... funny part was their pre-oem CAT filter was fine.. they said when it froze, they replaced the oem filter and were off and running.. hard to believe the cat filter is less prone to gelling than the oem with its own heater, but i guess anything's possible!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have had no problems with my Cat filter down to -2F. Not that cold compared to the Northerners, but cold enough for me!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I still have an OEM filter in pieces on my bench. The heater only heats the incoming fuel. So I guess I don't understand just what it is suppose to do. I suspect the heater runs a lot of the time in cold weather. Later! Frank

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is my S.W.A.G.

The surface area of the Cat filter is much larger than the stock filter allowing more surface area during cold weather so if gelling or freezing is occuring it may stack up in some areas of the filter pleats, but allow enough fuel to flow through other areas. Where as the stock filter being smaller and closer to the pump ( MORE SUCTION AT THIS POINT IN THE FUEL SYSTEM ) is really trying to pull the fuel through the filter when gelling or freezing may start to occur, and may create more of a problem. One other thought warm water freezes before cold so any moisture in the fuel may be more prone to freeze up when under the hood once the engine compartment begins to heat up the fuel filter, here again this is all just a S.W.A.G. and I may not even be close, but it's food for thought.

Fran

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rarely get -2 even here in Detroit, maybe with the windchill occasionally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
anyone from Alaska or northern Canada use secondary fuel filtration? I am in the market for a secondary fuel filtration kit, but don't want to put one on if I might have issues starting my truck in cold weather. I often go snowmobileing in -20F and -30F weather.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am sure their are plenty of Mega and Cat systems in those areas. I know that I have sent several both places. I little prevention is worth avoiding problems on the road.

Greg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts