Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my racor 660R2 filter today. I intended to use this as a secondary/final filter. The elements that came with it are R60S(2 micron) filters, however on the side of the spin-on element it says:

>THIS IS A PRIMARY FILTER. USE ONLY WITH SECONDARY/FINAL FILTER IN PLACE.

I THOUGHT THE S stood for secondary. Why would they sell a 2 micron filter for primary filtration? Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a spare R60P 30-micron filter laying around. On this filter, after step 8 in the To Replace Element instructions there are the words " THIS IS A PRIMARY FILTER. USE ONLY WITH SECONDARY/FINAL FILTER IN PLACE".

On my back-up R60S 2-micron filter, those words are not present.

The only other distinguishing factor between the two filters is the R60P has red lettering on a tan colored filter can while the R60S filter has brown lettering on a tan colored filter can.

The "S" stands for 2-micron, "T" for 10-micron and "P" for 30-micron.

What you describe sounds like a possible problem with the filter assembly. I would call Racor or your distributor and ask for an exhange of filter elements or have them explain why this is on the filter can.

AlanEdited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I run the R60S 2 micron secondary filter (pre-OEM on framerail) per picture below. I believe Racor does not recommend running a 2 micron filter pre OEM as they probably think they would clog too fast. I would think all R60S filters are the same ... may be wrong.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
S = Secondary / Final 2 micron (Brown end cap).
T = Primary or Secondary / Final 10 micron (Blue end cap).
P = Primary 30 micron (Red end cap).

I'm running an R90S.... as a secondary filter... post OEM.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It brown on tan, says 2 micron, R60S,but it also says its a primary

Should I use them or return for an exchange?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It will work where ever you mount it. Where did you get yours? Later! Frank

·
Registered
994 Posts
It looks to me like it is a manufacturing error on the filter can printing. As I indicated above, my R60S filter does not have that printed on the side. A R60P filter that I have does have that printed on the side (and rightfully so, since it only filters to 30 micron). The statement you show should only be printed on the R60P filter. You would not want to use the R60P as your final filter. The R60T and R60S filters can be used as final filters (though I would not use the R60T filter by itself on our trucks). See the definition that Hoot wrote above.

I would call Racor or your distributor and ask them what is going on. You need some assurances that the filter media inside is actually a 2 micron filter (and not a 30 micron media).

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I would definately contact Racor.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have a case of r60S's and none of them say that.... and I have been using them as a primary since i have them....... I keep an eye on everything to wait for one to plug, but so far 8,000 miles and no trouble........ I had been using t's before this... I will cut it open and post the picture of the 2 micron primary once i pull it out...... im trying to get 10,000 out of it......

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Just replaced r90s at about 11,000 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I emailed racor the pics today. They emailed back and said they would send me new ones. I emailed back my address, so hopefully the will be here soon. I guess i can go ahead and install with this filter and change it when i get the new ones.

So hoot whats the parts list? how many feet of what sized fuel hose? 4 push lock hose connectors, was that a 3/8 radiator drain you used for priming? Did you have to move the horn? Simple angle iron bracket bolted to what under the air box?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Racor Part List....
600 Filter Head (Head has all 3/8 NPT Female Ports)
S90 Filter Cartridge (2 Micron)
(8) Feet 1/2" ID Premium Fuel Hose
(2) 3/8 NPT Male Pushlock Fittings for 1/2" ID Fuel Hose
(1) 3/8 NPT Male All Brass Radiator Petcock for Bleeding
(4) Suitable Hose Clamps for the Fuel Line
One Length of approx. 1-1/2 angle iron for Bracket (Home Depot's Largest)
Hardware for mounting and attaching at your discretion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hoot

did you have any air issues with the post r90s installation?

Engineer Bill

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
none at all.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hoot

I cut my R90S open yesterday after 13K miles.The filter looks like a quarter of it was used. This is mounted Post OEM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hoot said:
none at all.

Thats why i went with this one. Hoot knows what he's doing, just don't let him park it for you.

Hoot did you have to move the horn?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
GMCDURAMAX said:
hoot said:
none at all.

Thats why i went with this one. Hoot knows what he's doing, just don't let him park it for you.

Hoot did you have to move the horn?
LOL..

Yea, I had to bend the bracket backwards.

We had another huge tree fall tonight. Major winds. Tree was bigger than the last one but in the woods. I'll get a shot of it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hoot,

STAY OUTA THE WOODS!!!
(or keep a sharp eye out above your head).

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received 6 new filters from ups today, so i'll be set for a while. I told them 2, but i guess they wanted to make sure they had made things right. I got it mounted today, but hooking it up is gonna have to wait until after thanksgiving. Instead of Rivnuts I just replaced the center of the two piece clips with a stainless steel screw to make the inner fender easier to take off. It seemed to work very well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts