Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with an anonymous source today and they said they spoke with Racor about filter rust. Racor said that they water pressure test all the filters. They dip them in water and pressurize with air looking for leaks.

They then immeadiatley put them in a plastic bag and seal it. They believe some of the moisture is sealing itself in the bag and causing rust.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
More like they water pressure test all the filters by putting them outside in the rain for a week then tranfer to plastic bag.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Why the water, couldn't you pressure test with air and measure pressure drop to show a leak or not? JEZ and they are suppose to be the engineers!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't understand the reason for applying pressure to test the the filter for rust?

The DMax fuel system builds absolutly no pressure until after the filter...not until it gets to the high pressure pump.

The filter itself is actually under a slight vaccum at all times when the engine is running.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmmm,

I think they are screwing the filter onto some sort of manifold and then submerging the whole thing in water. Slight pressurization of the manifold and it's very easy to spot leaks by looking for air bubbles. Sounds like they may need to do a better job of drying them off afterwards and/or simply throw a small bag of desicant in the "sealed" bag with the filter.

It ain't rocket science!Edited by: gwmayes

·
Registered
160 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=smText vAlign=top width="20%" bgColor=#fefefc></TD>
<TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#fefefc>

"Why the water, couldn't you pressure test with air and measure pressure drop to show a leak or not? JEZ and they are suppose to be the engineers!!!!"

It is dangerous to pressure test with air, as should there be a failure, it would be exsplosive in nature due to expanding air. We used to pressure test tires to failure, and always used water for this reason. Seems like they should at least make an attempt to dry them out before packaging.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Leaks under air psi are hard to detect as air compresses. The best way would be to submerge an air pressurized unit and visually watch for bubbles. Picture a home water system pressure tank. They will typically allow several GALLONS of draw down with only a 20 psi pressure drop.

Dunno why they chose water though

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's no excuse for using water when tests like mass spectometry with helium are available.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm planning to change my fuel filter in the next few thousand miles. Is there anyway that I can get a filter that I know came from the factory after this problem was fixed (assuming it has been fixed)?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I doubt it is fixed. Seems the emulsifier and corrosion inhibitor in FPPF Total Power is working for JEBar as his rust situation did not repeat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts