Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever thought of it or tried it??

1st gear is so low on the allison that high HP trucks seem to blow right thru it on launch. I wonder what it would be like launching in 2nd gear? Maybe program a TCM with EFILive to start in 2nd gear and not use 1st?

Might hurt 60 foot times a slight bit, but you would then have "access" to immediate converter lockup as soon as you launched. It would also prbably be easier to launch high HP trucks (smoother and easier launch) because the higher gear ratio of starting in 2nd gear would reduce the chance of hopping all 4 wheels. I would think this "2nd gear mod" would be most effective with the 1057 converter due to its more agressive coupling when unlocked.

any thoughts about this??? Stupid idea or not?

ben

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Someone figured out the Overdrive Lockout with the earlier models, maybe someone can figure this.
I remember someone asking about "1st Gear Lockout", to be used when driving in ice or snow, but don't remember anyone with an answer.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
modified;1580869; said:
Someone figured out the Overdrive Lockout with the earlier models.
its not that someone "figured it out". GM released a whole new calibration for the early Allison TCM's, and offered it (the OD lockout featue) as a kit.;)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Ben, We were kicking the idea around before efi live came out. Seemed like a pipe dream back them, maybe doable now.

I'm not so sure it would be a great idea anymore. Might be hell on hard parts in the trannys. I know dodges run full billet shafts just to get into the 12's with there higher gearing. Is it because there shafts are weaker or the strain on the equipment doing boosted launches at 30psi?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
if only gear people would offer different gears past 3.73

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
How much trouble would it be to change the ratio of first gear?

·
Registered
334 Posts
what if you delayed lock up until 3rd? maybe converter slippage would hlep the planetaries live? wil

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
will w;1581696; said:
what if you delayed lock up until 3rd? maybe converter slippage would hlep the planetaries live? wil
If you delay lockup till 3rd you will go slower. This is the wrong thing to do.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think starting in second on the 6 speed is like traction control when in the manual tap shift mode isn't it? would it reduce power or apply brakes if tires started to spin?

·
Registered
335 Posts
IdahoRob;1580985; said:
...I know dodges run full billet shafts just to get into the 12's with there higher gearing. Is it because there shafts are weaker or the strain on the equipment doing boosted launches at 30psi?
The shafts in the Dodge are much smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Can someone please explain to me what Overdrive Lockout is Thanks

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
duramaxin14;1589069; said:
Can someone please explain to me what Overdrive Lockout is Thanks
Push your T/H button and hold for 3 seconds and it will lock out 5th gear. You will see a D with a slash through it lit up on the dash. Most people don't use feature.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Mike L.;1589116; said:
Push your T/H button and hold for 3 seconds and it will lock out 5th gear. You will see a D with a slash through it lit up on the dash. Most people don't use feature.
Does this work in low range like if you were sledpulling?? Not that I have that much power yet anyway.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
pmeg1;1591802; said:
Does this work in low range like if you were sledpulling?? Not that I have that much power yet anyway.
When you are in low range sled pulling, put the selector at 3 and let the big dog eat. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts