Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raced a 6.4 powerstroke

5K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  astieg 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my first post, I've been a F**d diesel tech for 18 years. I don't like the product I just work there to pay my bills. I've always owned GM products old and new. I recently traded my 05 lly for an 07 lbz. We got 3 of the new 6.4 powerstrokes in today and went for a test drive . I wasn't very impressed with it. I can tell you it's not gonna be fun to work on . One of my buddies works there and he loves F**ds he has a 7.3 w/ nitrous, propane , bigger turbo, & a custom program I raced him numerous times with my lly with an edge , intake , & exhaust and hurt his pride. He wanted to line up the 6.4 short bed 4x4 against my 07 dually long bed 4x4 lbz. First we raced from a roll and I beat him by 2.5 lenghts, next we raced from a stop and he loaded it to 20psi and I left at idle he beat me by about 1.5 lenghts then we raced from a stop and both left at idle I pulled 2 trucks off the line and it stayed that way. Overall I think the power is pretty close . The Chevy is a little faster . the F**d has alot of turbo lag . I'm glad I beat him everyone at work always give me s**t for driving a Chevy.

#3 ·
Kill that powerchoke fer sure again.

#5 ·
fordtech;1578940; said:
Hi, this is my first post, I've been a F**d diesel tech for 18 years. I don't like the product I just work there to pay my bills. I've always owned GM products old and new. I recently traded my 05 lly for an 07 lbz. We got 3 of the new 6.4 powerstrokes in today and went for a test drive . I wasn't very impressed with it. I can tell you it's not gonna be fun to work on . One of my buddies works there and he loves F**ds he has a 7.3 w/ nitrous, propane , bigger turbo, & a custom program I raced him numerous times with my lly with an edge , intake , & exhaust and hurt his pride. He wanted to line up the 6.4 short bed 4x4 against my 07 dually long bed 4x4 lbz. First we raced from a roll and I beat him by 2.5 lenghts, next we raced from a stop and he loaded it to 20psi and I left at idle he beat me by about 1.5 lenghts then we raced from a stop and both left at idle I pulled 2 trucks off the line and it stayed that way. Overall I think the power is pretty close . The Chevy is a little faster . the F**d has alot of turbo lag . I'm glad I beat him everyone at work always give me s**t for driving a Chevy.
Welcome Aboard!! Thank you for the unbiased review. We all look forward to you sharing your upcoming 6.4 repair nightmares!! Talking will make you feel better..........BTW, I am not a Shrink. ( No offence to anyone on here who actually is. )

#6 ·
turbo lag? how bad is it? i was loking forward to a truck that finally didnt have lag cause ive been told they didnt have any. not trying to start anything here just curious as to how bad is it? bad as the 6.0?

#7 ·
Yeah, When the 7.3 di came out I was thinking who the hell designed this crap it took a few years to get right. Then the 6.0 came out and its still a piece of junk. Now the 6.4 is probably going to have its share of problems you pretty much have to pull the cab off to do anything to it.

#11 ·
With the 6.0 we were seeing 26-28#s of boost. The 6.4 we saw 33#s . I originally thought it the twin setup was to prevent turbo lag cause it has a small turbo feeding a larger one but it did have quite a bit of turbo lag. Maybe it is for emissions and this trucks got plenty of it . I'm scheduled to go to the training center at the end of Feb. so I'll keep you posted .

#12 ·
It has twice the turbos to spool so why would it be faster? The air has to go through one then the other and then the intercooler before it enters the motor.

#13 ·
2 smaller turbos will generally spool faster than one large one; if the setup is designed correctly.

#14 ·
i just found out that the new ford engine is 2 big for the ambulances so ford is still going to be installing the 6.0 in them.go figue that one.

#15 ·
o and by the way ford tech its nice to here another gm boy working on ford for a living i have done it for 12 years though and 5 years on all vehicles.still cant stand them ferds.

#16 ·
hmmm, when will ford get something right? did they put twins on it so when one craps out the other can cover for it? :D

#17 ·
Just to clear all this smoke, there is hardly any turbo lag on the new 6.4. I drove one around for quite a while the other day ):h but I understand that a die hard chevy man isn't gonna say anything good about the other.

#18 ·
we still have more stock horse power and torque that the powerchokes and chummins. my best freind a huge ferd fan. he is looking at a powerchoke and we will be test driving one here soon. i will let you all know what i think of it when we test it.

#19 ·
Hey duramaxdude, go to the other vehicles forum and look at the videos of the 6.4 kill the duramax and cummins. I drive a dodge cummins so i'm not thrilled about it either.

#20 ·
f250powerhouse;1581357; said:
Hey duramaxdude, go to the other vehicles forum and look at the videos of the 6.4 kill the duramax and cummins. I drive a dodge cummins so i'm not thrilled about it either.
Don't bite my head off, but is it true what another DP member posted about the gear ratio differences between the F-450 and GM 3500?

#21 ·
Yea if the f-450 has lower gears than the other two it would give it an edge but a 5 second head start man that's crazy, I thought my dodge pulled pretty good when it was stock but I think the new Fords are underrated on the power specs, the 2008 xlt that I drove felt faster than the dodge and gm trucks.

#22 ·
Let them get tested by someone other than Ford and see how they do. Remember the old video of the GM dragging the Ford and Dodge backwards? GM did it so no surprise

#23 · (Edited)
the funny thing is, that ford always has to come out with their truck a year in advance against GM/Dodge, and they never test them fairly, but thats ford for ya! cum on, 450 vs 3500, where is the 350? The ford gear ratio is higher than the chevy, and they say that the ford smoked the chevy! OK! I am whilling to bet, if you put the same gears in the chevy, the chevy would take it. No one has a better set up than the duramax/allison configuration. I found the vid, so take a look for yourself! and who even knows if the guy in the duramax works for ford, and is letting off, just to make the ford look good to buyers.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...page=1&Main=3214697&Words=&topic=&Search=true

#24 ·
RJWesleyIII;1581648; said:
the funny thing is, that ford always has to come out with their truck a year in advance against GM/Dodge, and they never test them fairly, but thats ford for ya! cum on, 450 vs 3500, where is the 350? The ford gear ratio is higher than the chevy, and they say that the ford smoked the chevy! OK! I am whilling to bet, if you put the same gears in the chevy, the chevy would take it. No one has a better set up than the duramax/allison configuration. I found the vid, so take a look for yourself! and who even knows if the guy in the duramax works for ford, and is letting off, just to make the ford look good to buyers.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...page=1&Main=3214697&Words=&topic=&Search=true

Not Ford's fault that Chevy doesn't have something to compete with the F450. Dodge soon will have 4500/5500's to compete, but they'll be chassis cabs only I believe.

#25 ·
it just isn't equal testing. Its the same in every magazine that test trucks, its Fords and Dodges biggest against chevys smallest! I guess they gotta do something to keep up with the BEST!

#26 ·
Smashed Ixnay;1581698; said:
Not Ford's fault that Chevy doesn't have something to compete with the F450. Dodge soon will have 4500/5500's to compete, but they'll be chassis cabs only I believe.
GM did it was the 3500HD on the c/k model gvw of 14000-15000

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.