Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I haven't had any problems/issues yet just want to be on the lookout for symptoms and cures if and when things start to go south and thought a reasonably,? easy allison push pull might be the way to go as for the factory tuning it just felt sluggish for lack of a better term
no aspect of the allison swap is easy...entirely different wiring harness and TCM, then uses a truck tune that doesn't play well with the van body systems. It would also require different transfer case, driveshaft changes and either a floor mod or small body lift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, what's so tough about That? Lol 6l rebuild /upgrade it is. If the time comes. Thanks for pointing all of that out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interested in this as well, particularly the tuning aspect. Unless I drive it in tow/haul it likes to just sit in the higher gear and doesn't want to downshift as quickly as I'd like. Likely doing the Transgo next time I service the transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yep that's what mine does it's okay if I'm poking along sightseeing out in the country but for any thing else it's as you describe
But as shop specialties told me deep pan big cooler and transgo kit will probably help quite a bit
I'm taking the tune out while it works good every Time I go for inspection they catch it the I have to take it out go get checked by the state and then redo.
Just too much trouble and if the pan and transgo kit improve the shifting and helps the acceleration getting it the right gear quicker I'll be happy and let it go at that

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
6l90 Transgo Jr update. I did not know this until right now but the transmission needs to come out to install. I thought it was an easy install like many others. So I don't know if it would be worth it to do just it for all the labor involved.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just when I thought there was an easy upgrade, they yank the rug out,
Don't want to pull the granny unless I have to so I'll just have to wait and see what comes along

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah I figured for now take the easy way out pan cooler And i was thinking of shift kits of old just drop the pan but not going to do all that for a shift kit I'll wait till the trans needs to be replaced then I'll go buck wild unless I hit the lottery fist

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am well past the 450 torque the 4l85e is rated for and have lasted over 460,000 miles. Keep it cool and be smart. They put the 6l90 behind the 6.6 gas in the trucks and they are rated to tow over 17,000#.

What are your temps ?

How loaded are you for those miles though? That makes a big difference in how long they will last.

Bigger pan has kept temps under 160 most of the time. Running in the summer time I am usually runnning 130-140. Sitting in traffic is a killer. It goes over 180 sitting in traffic. Really slips in between 2 and 3 then and slams other gears, and that is without a trailer. I was sitting in 30 degree weather yesterday. Still went to 185 going nowhere for 45 minutes.

Factory tuning has always had a flare in between some of the shifts from when I picked it up at 5 miles on it. Doesn't always do it, but sometimes it is worse than others. Factory tuning is really bad on the downshifts if you need to pass someone at certain speeds.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
How loaded are you for those miles though? That makes a big difference in how long they will last.

Bigger pan has kept temps under 160 most of the time. Running in the summer time I am usually runnning 130-140. Sitting in traffic is a killer. It goes over 180 sitting in traffic. Really slips in between 2 and 3 then and slams other gears, and that is without a trailer. I was sitting in 30 degree weather yesterday. Still went to 185 going nowhere for 45 minutes.

Factory tuning has always had a flare in between some of the shifts from when I picked it up at 5 miles on it. Doesn't always do it, but sometimes it is worse than others. Factory tuning is really bad on the downshifts if you need to pass someone at certain speeds.
Well since I do everything by myself the heaters, boiler, tanks, lifts, maybe a skid steer etc do not just magically appear at the job site. Over 466,000 miles of what I call empty to towing up to 10k over a hill or 2 that we have here in Montana. This is at speeds of 70ish for 100-300 miles one way. When I go to Sioux Falls to pick up tanks I try to do the entire 1,500 miles non stop. So yes I have done a lil bit of towing over that time.

I am willing to put my left nut on the chopping block that you are driving it like a gasser. I see it all the time in shops where customers describe just like you are. You are stomping on the go pedal like Lars Ulrich in 1991.

I spend more time paying attention and rolling on the power to work with the load and transmission. Also my tune which I have been running for over 420,000 miles plays a big part in it to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
driving it like a gasser. I see it all the time in shops where customers describe just like you are. You are stomping on the go pedal like Lars Ulrich in 1991.
I spend more time paying attention and rolling on the power to work with the load and transmission.
This made me curious, tell us more about this. Is it similar to hypermiling driving techniques?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
This made me curious, tell us more about this. Is it similar to hypermiling driving techniques?
I suppose it would be very similar to hypermiling. Especially when I have a trailer on I do everything possible to not have to stomp on the go pedal. If I am coming up on someone and can pass them I set them up so I can smoothly pull around while rolling on the power. I know my roads so I plan for the hills, corners, reduced speed limits, no passing, school bus, farm/ag, etc. I do everything possible to not stomp on the pedals and jerk the wheel. All that does is cause wear/tear on parts and waste fuel.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ShopSpecialties fantastic. Once you learn this way of driving, it's mind-boggling to see inefficient most of the drivers are around you. In a hurry to that red light 1/4 mile in front of you, wasting fuel and brakes, while you just coasted there for free with a grin on your face.
I also owned a Chevy Volt for the last 3 years. On that car I never use brakes and it saves all kinetic energy. I have been researching for a while into making my van or a trailer a hybrid. If I could put a 10-15 kWh battery in it. So many benefits:
  • mostly never use brakes anymore - regen into the battery instead.
  • assist in city traffic, save a lot of fuel.
  • assist in climbing hills, for that extra oomph on the steepest grades
  • assist in downgrading, saving the brakes and simultaneously fully charging the battery you just used up climbing that hill.
But I couldn't come up with anything. There has been a Via motors hybrid Express van. I want an electric powered 6- or 8-lug trailer axle, so I can install the battery and in the trailer.

Probably should start another thread for this offtopic discussion if anybody wants to continue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suppose it would be very similar to hypermiling. Especially when I have a trailer on I do everything possible to not have to stomp on the go pedal. If I am coming up on someone and can pass them I set them up so I can smoothly pull around while rolling on the power. I know my roads so I plan for the hills, corners, reduced speed limits, no passing, school bus, farm/ag, etc. I do everything possible to not stomp on the pedals and jerk the wheel. All that does is cause wear/tear on parts and waste fuel.
By "Stomp" I assume you mean rapidly advance the gas pedal.

The pedal will still need to go to the floor for pulling up hills and/or accelerating onto a highway... just don't push it to the floor fast.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
By "Stomp" I assume you mean rapidly advance the gas pedal.

The pedal will still need to go to the floor for pulling up hills and/or accelerating onto a highway... just don't push it to the floor fast.
With my tuning and driving style I do not need to put the pedal to the floor while going uphill or pulling onto the highway. If I have to smash it to floor it is an oh shite moment and I am trying to avoid some type of an accident. I am always looking ahead to see if there might be the potential problem and work to avoid. Unlike most people who just come in hot then slam on the brake/gas and swerve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That kind of driving is ok in the wilds of Montana but here on the coast with traffic we have all day long people will be throwing rocks at you , that I how drive in upstate and western ny and penn. Where you can see a ways in front of you, not much traffic , notices to slow down ahead of small towns etc. But around the city's and crowded coast no matter where you go if you driving style is not a little more spirited , people will be cutting you off, swearing at you and the cops will be ticketing you as a hazard to navigation.
so sometimes you have to plant the pedal to the floor and with the 6 speed sometimes it has to go down 2 speeds to get moving.so a quicker shifting trams would be an asset

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well since I do everything by myself the heaters, boiler, tanks, lifts, maybe a skid steer etc do not just magically appear at the job site. Over 466,000 miles of what I call empty to towing up to 10k over a hill or 2 that we have here in Montana. This is at speeds of 70ish for 100-300 miles one way. When I go to Sioux Falls to pick up tanks I try to do the entire 1,500 miles non stop. So yes I have done a lil bit of towing over that time.

I am willing to put my left nut on the chopping block that you are driving it like a gasser. I see it all the time in shops where customers describe just like you are. You are stomping on the go pedal like Lars Ulrich in 1991.

I spend more time paying attention and rolling on the power to work with the load and transmission. Also my tune which I have been running for over 420,000 miles plays a big part in it to.

Well you'd be losing your left nut then lol. I've been driving diesels for over 30 years. I have millions of miles driving tractor trailers when I was young and been driving duramax trucks since 02. I currently have 3 duramax, all with Kennedy tow tunes so no high power rolling coal nonsense. I drive to anticipate acceleration and coast up to things as much as possible. These aren't gas vehicles and don't drive like one. I still have an 06 gasser in my fleet if I want that.

Montana traffic is different than traffic in congested city areas here. If I'm going long distance between cities it is a lot different than inner city driving. Sometimes you have to give it more throttle to avoid things than you'd like to. I really try to avoid that, especially with any trailer on it. But I often have 12-14k behind this van. Anyone that doesn't drive to anticipate will be in an accident with that kind of weight in heavy city traffic, and I have never had an accident with millions of miles behind me.

I have an employee with the 6L90 in a gas truck. Tuning is much better in it than the van. GM simply did not spend enough time on the tuning on the diesel version. I've driven his truck enough to feel the difference. The 6l in the van has some poorly timed slushy shifts, and has done this with multiple transmission relearns.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts