Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Quigley 4x4 3in lift 3500 express and would like to swap the chevy 6sp out for the allison does anyone know if this doable or has done It?
Thanks

·
Administrator
15,668 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to the "Vans" section for more appropriate responses to your questions.
:thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi who's building those or supplies a parts kit? I couldn't find anything in trans section, everyone seems to be swapping out for a 4l

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd also be interested in who is bulletproofing the 6l. I tow heavy with mine and haven't even been able to find someone who can do any tuning on the diesel version

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
#1 you need to keep it cool. Deep pan and bigger cooler. Unless you are an idiot and want to do idiot things why are you wanting to "bulletproof" it ? I have 460,000+ plus miles on my stock 4l85e with a lil more power than stock. The 6l90 is an upgrade over it and rated to hold more power.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Hi who's building those or supplies a parts kit? I couldn't find anything in trans section, everyone seems to be swapping out for a 4l
Is your van tuned for more power?

·
Registered
76 Posts
#1 you need to keep it cool. Deep pan and bigger cooler. Unless you are an idiot and want to do idiot things why are you wanting to "bulletproof" it ? I have 460,000+ plus miles on my stock 4l85e with a lil more power than stock. The 6l90 is an upgrade over it and rated to hold more power.

First thing I did was put a deeper pan with fins and temp gauge on it. My van is over 9000 pounds at all times. I tow 10K a lot, and at times up to 14k for short distances. That is way over what the trans is rated to pull. 6l90 was rated at 525fp of torque. That is why the LGH is detuned to 525fp of torque. I have a mild towing tune on it so it is over what GM rated the trans to hold up to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Plus the factory programming on the 6l in the diesel leaves a lot to be desired. I have driven 6 liter gas jobs with this trans that have much better programming stock. Seems like they didn't put enough time behind the wheel when the programmed the diesel verson

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mild tune plus heavy towing plus some offloading not an idiot but also don't want problems when I least need them,
Was asking for info on what the other poster put out therein case i want to take advantage of it and if their such a good trans I would like to also know why people are taking the out in exchange for an upgrade 4l
I agree the tuning on these leave something to be desired

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Mild tune plus heavy towing plus some offloading not an idiot but also don't want problems when I least need them,
Was asking for info on what the other poster put out therein case i want to take advantage of it and if their such a good trans I would like to also know why people are taking the out in exchange for an upgrade 4l
It was popular to swap the 6l80 out for 4l80 in performance applications but I don’t see it as popular anymore since companies started offering built 6l80’s an 6l90’s.
My 16 seems perfectly tuned from GM, drives very similar to the Allison . Who did your tuning?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
First thing I did was put a deeper pan with fins and temp gauge on it. My van is over 9000 pounds at all times. I tow 10K a lot, and at times up to 14k for short distances. That is way over what the trans is rated to pull. 6l90 was rated at 525fp of torque. That is why the LGH is detuned to 525fp of torque. I have a mild towing tune on it so it is over what GM rated the trans to hold up to.
I am well past the 450 torque the 4l85e is rated for and have lasted over 460,000 miles. Keep it cool and be smart. They put the 6l90 behind the 6.6 gas in the trucks and they are rated to tow over 17,000#.

What are your temps ?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Keep it cool and be smart and it should last a long time. Those swaps were in gassers when guys were adding big power and doing dumb things when the trans first came out.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Do you have a Quigley?What pan and trans cooler are you using?
Check out PML for a deep pan. Then for a cooler get the biggest one that will fit. Also while the pan is off think about having a Transgo Jr installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had any problems/issues yet just want to be on the lookout for symptoms and cures if and when things start to go south and thought a reasonably,? easy allison push pull might be the way to go as for the factory tuning it just felt sluggish for lack of a better term

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thanks I will that's why I asked if you had a Quigley to see how you liked the fit if it has ok clearances doesn't hang down too low etc.
Thanks for the ref

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
That is good to plan ahead before something breaks. No Quigley here. I think the PML pan is roughly 3" deeper than stock. Also for fluid make sure and go with a full synthetic Dex 6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep I like to stay on top of things maint and such and make improvements so hopefully nothing major goes wrong but also like to have a future plan in place in case it does
Got a bunch of dough tied up in this van and would like to keep downtime to a minimum if something does go bad don't want to cut into fishing time to deep.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts