Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a 4" cat-back system from TTS. Quiet performance is what I was looking for and quiet performance is what I received. Muffler is HUGE, like a 39" body, absolutely no drone in the cab, decreased turbo lag, increased throttle response and a slight relearn of shifts are a few characteristics I noticed during a 70 mile test drive. Sorry no EGT or boost guage. I don't think the truck is much if any louder than stock but will reserve my final analysis until I have ran a few tanks of fuel ran through it both with and with out a trailer. I am very pleased with the overall product from fit and finish, sound quality, prompt delivery and most of all lack of interior noise. Next I am debating whether to replace the section of pipe that houses the cat with a 4" mandrel bent pipe from a non-cat truck, for off-road usage of course! Any thoughts OTHER than the ussual emissions, legality or warranty issues?

Go here for details http://ttspowersystems.com/

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll be following this thread rather closely!! If you do replace the cat with the "test" pipe
please post the results of the sound change, if any. I had the summit system with a magnaflow muffler and it had a nasty drone around 1700-2100 rpms when towing. Enough to clog our ears and make for a loud conversation. However that same system installed on an 02 extended cab was so quiet it made me wonder why I was selling it to him in the first place!!! Something is different from the 02's to the 03's that is for sure, as I was expecting it to be much louder with about a foot or two less pipe under the truck....

Bob

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I think my Duramax is more quiet than stock at 90 mph. I can play the radio and have a conversation with someone in the back seat. No drone. I was sold on this exhaust when i was working on the TTS/Transgo race truck. 12 sec quarter miles were never so quiet.

mike

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dipper
I try to post pics this evening.

Mike L
After following virtually every post regarding exhaust both here and over at the page and I remembered you were the only member stating your truck had no drone, so I bought one and you were right! No additional interior noise, no additional noise while passing cars, driving past buildings or bridges with the right rear window down either. The next step is to determine what affect removing the cat will have on the sound.

Anxiously awaiting Transgo and TTS to release the LLY stuff!

·
Registered
83 Posts
anyone know if TTS will sell just the muffler? Reason is it looks like I will have to wait on buying my Dmax which means keeping the 6.5. The BD exhaust on my 6.5 is killing me- (and the neighbors)... too loud!!

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Race-Hemi

I am fortunate to work on so many trucks and see what kind of mods people have installed. I get to see, drive. and evaluate these mods.
TTS should have his head pipe ready to go pretty soon if not already. His and mine are sitting next to each other and awaiting Steves final approval. Don't think Transgo is releasing anything new, but TTS should have LLY programs in a month or so.

dslhead

I don't know if TTS will sell the muffler, Steve said it was ttoo long to fit unless you had his custom setup.

mike

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike
What tranny upgrades if any, are available for an Allison backed LLY?

dslhead
Try here www.donaldson.com, they offer a wide range of sizes.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Looking forward to the pics of the exhaust, looks like my search could be over!! Now to convince the wife, especially after just buying new wheels and tires last week!! Oh how my "hobby" gets me in trouble!!

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Race-Hemi

I have been debating wheither to buy the turbo back or the cat back. Same reasons as you(legality and or dealer-warranty ) I am still undecided which brand to buy. Same as you I want a quiet system. Does it make that much difference in egt or performance having the cat back or turbo back.

TTS sounds like a great system.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
TTS exhaust 595.00 plus shipping. email me or send a private message. Might be able to save you shipping. I am working on BIG DIPPER, bet i can talk him into one. He is getting older and us old folk don't like noise.
OOH I'm gona pay for this one. Just kidding DIPPER

mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts