Diesel Place banner

Quick release off road lights?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  curtm220 
#1 ·
This is probably just a dream of mine that doesn't exist, but it'd be pretty neat if it did ):h

I've got a light bar/roll bar (whatever you want to call it, its not gonna do jack if I roll over though!) on my truck and right now there's only about an inch of clearance between it and my garage door. Is there such a thing as a driving light with a quick release system on it so I could just slap them on and plug them in when I want to use them?

#6 ·
My buddy bought a light bar that holds 4 lights accross it (light force lights) and they are 7" and 9" lights. This bar mounts to the bumper. It actually mounts to the liscense plat frame holes. It takes about 1 min. to install and take back off. So when we get back from 4x4'N he just removes it so nobody steals his lights. I think it looks good too. If you want I can call him and get you a link for it?

#7 ·
I'm sure you could find a quick disconnect somewhere that would work. Since they will be in an area high in exposure to the elements you might be asking for trouble though. After getting the connectors & releases built for abuse you might find it will cost you more in money & time than to buy the light bar suggested.

Other than that maybe you could adapt a military or aircraft part:confused:

#8 ·
I'm sure you could find a quick disconnect somewhere that would work. Since they will be in an area high in exposure to the elements you might be asking for trouble though. After getting the connectors & releases built for abuse you might find it will cost you more in money & time than to buy the light bar suggested.

Other than that maybe you could adapt a military or aircraft part:confused:
Weatherpak connectors

#9 ·
www.awdirect.com

They sell a flip mount for light bars for situations where you have low clearance. I am not sure where it is on their website but if you look around I am sure you can find it.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Thats a pretty darn good idea! But the way the light mounting tabs are on this thing I don't think it'd work right.. And I'd want to leave the lights off most of the time, if I had that I know I'd forget to flip it once and take out the bottom edge of my garage door :D

Those weatherpak connectors will work good for the electrical part.. still thinking on the attachment points though. Really strong magnets on the base of the lights, and then drill a hole in the mounting stud on the light and put a retention pin through it? I don't know if that would stay where its supposed to though, I'm sure those lights catch a lot of wind up there..

#12 ·
It stays just fine...they are made for 47 inch plus lightbars...if you can fab up something, I think they sould be useful...not as individual mounts, but use 2 connected to a single bar to be used as the mount.

#13 ·
Here's EXACTLY what you need. Of course you'll have to find a WWII M2 or M3 Half track..........

:exactly:

Attachments

#14 ·
With some time and effort, you could come up with a mount that "wraps" the bar, and could be rotated. The mounts themselves could probably be fabbed out of pvc. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.