Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, to post this...I did a search and found a topic that was similar to what im askin but it was locked... My questions are when full, how will the gauge read. Will the mark be just bove equal or SLIGHTLY beyond "F"ull?? Or should it go noticeably beyond...? On my old 94 ranger when full the needle would be noticeably beyond the F. I know it thats a different truck, im just saying for comparison sake...
I ask because when i filled up last monday, the pump nozzle was for big boy trucks, so it kept clickin off, and i was just going by the gauge for fullness. I assumed i was close, as the gauge read just under 1/4 and took like 20.5 gallons.... But now i got about 250-260 miles to the tank, and im showin almost 1/4 tank again....Im not liking the calculations currently on this....

I will say however that some of the driving hasnt been the best for mileage. ive had several drives where ive prolly driven under 5 miles and shutoff. Theres also been some idle times....one time in particular was close to 25-30 mins, i know not smart, but i was intially only planning on a quick 5 mins, but then got to talkin and showin the truck more and time clicked on....
Alright, sorry for ramblin. If anyone can make sense of most of my jibberish,that be cool...Thanks, this place rocks....-Adam

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Adam, look at the guage this way....... 26 gallon tank = the last 1/4 is really about 5 gallons in the tank, the last 1/2 tank is about 11 gallons, 3/4 full is about 18 gallons and a "Full Tank" is 26+ gallons. If the tank is packed, the needle will be just a fraction past the full mark. You should be able to drive at least 30 miles before the needle moves, maybe even 80 miles on the Hwy. ----

Remember this --> when your truck says "30 miles to empty" don't play around, get fuel.

So, to answer your question........ if the guage says "FULL" it's a misnomer. The "F" stands for 90% full but not full. Just call it a 22 gallon tank and forget about it.

Burner----------->

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ditto on what Burner says. Mine was at 1/4 of a tank and filled it up, it took 20 gals. Soooo if your fuel gauge gets to the empty mark, you better have a fuel station ''IN SIGHT"!!!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GMC- what are your driving habits? Like mainly highway or stop go/short drives....I mean i was expecting electric car mileage at 45-50mpg, but was hopeful in the upper teens(18.5-19) maybe even 20.

Burner&Steve- I was wondering if maybe i hadnt filled the tank up completely and thats why i was at 1/4 w/such low mileage...But it appears that i was fairly close, as when i stopped the needle was just over F. I dont know how Chevy gauges work, so i thought maybe it wasnt full. Like i said, my old ranger when full,would go well beyond F. Im too paranoid to ever get below 1/4, so i fill up beofre it gets to be an issue. I also dont have the DIC gauges that tell me fuel calc. oil life etc...
Thanks for all the info so far, will find out tomorrow when i fill up tomorrow morning....Thanks guys---Adam

·
Registered
463 Posts
I still can't figure my fuel gauge out!

Sometimes I can drive 200+ miles before it shows 3/4 of a tank, then about another 225-250 My current tank...125 miles to 3/4. Same driving conditions.

I'd sure like a consistent reading for consistent conditions!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i filled up this afternoon....Took 21.75 gallons to fill tank, almost to the brim....mileage on the 21.75 gallons....307.2....mpg=14.? not overally impressive...like i said above....my driving habits werent what id called superb either so i guess theres blame all around...think maybe ill check my air filter/sensor thingie sometime this week...anything else that might amke a difference...truck is all stock except for 285s....Thanks-Adam

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The fuel gage is weird on chassis cab it takes a average between front and rear tanks (50 gal total). Diesel is pumped from rear tank to the front so you all ways fill the front thank first.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait, i got two tanks??? Where is the opening for the 2nd fuel tank???

·
Registered
713 Posts
Polarbear,

Take a chill, you have only 1 tank. Pay no attention to the mileage numbers from the tank filled with the "Big Boy" nozzle. Yes, the fuel gauge is different from your Furd.

I suggest you fill the tank with a smaller nozzle, setting it at the 1st click on the hold open, for a couple of tanks. Fill it the same way every time, and then begin to compile your averages.

FYI, using DIC, I am at 18.4 mpg for mix of suburban/highway driving.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips Silver....Sure hope mileage stuff turns around.
Just out of curiousity, what would filling w/smaller nozzle do? Just better chance of getting a full fillup?
I dont have the DIC features for oil life,gas mpg etc...so i got to do it by hand....

·
Registered
713 Posts
The smaller nozzle will help you fill the tank to a consistent level at each fill. Fill it to the same reference point each time, 1st click off of pump. bottom of filler neck, you choose.

Keep your foot out of it, on the highway, mine gets almost 22 mpg
average if I stay just a little above 2,000 rpm, works out to be about 69 mph. Mileage really falls off over that.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Polar, I do alot of both, highway and town driving. I would say more of it is highway. About a 60/40 split.. Still getting about 400+ at this time.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Polarbear said:
Well i filled up this afternoon....Took 21.75 gallons to fill tank, almost to the brim....mileage on the 21.75 gallons....307.2....mpg=14.? not overally impressive...like i said above....my driving habits werent what id called superb either so i guess theres blame all around...think maybe ill check my air filter/sensor thingie sometime this week...anything else that might amke a difference...truck is all stock except for 285s....Thanks-Adam

Polarbear,

Like Silverdogs said, take an average of several tanks and be sure to fill it up to the same level each time (almost to the brim).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm diesel went up 15 cents this week....to 1.89, gald this fill up was on the farm. Anywasys calculated my mileage. 275.? miles to 17 .4gallons and bumped up to high 15;s in mileage. I still believe that my driving is playing a major role w/my mileage. Ive got too many 2-3-4 mile runs then shutoff. i might as well just drilla hole in the tank.

I returned a cd left by preivous owner this weekend, and got to talkin about our trucks(traded in for 04 lly duramax) and he said he saw 20mph many times w/this truck, so it is there...Also truck was well worked...he hauled severeal thousand lbs dirt few times a week, guys a former GM employee and really knew his stuff, and seemed to be just as particualr about thinggs as i am, so that left me feeling good about this truck,....His house is a few miles from a cottage of a friend, and said to stop on by anytime....cool,,,we are all just one big happy family....

2500HD- have you got a 26 or 34 gallon tank...?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Beware of the mile till empty... I had a friend whose mile to emty read 50 miles to go and the truck ran out of fuel.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont have that feature on my truck....i start to look for fuel depending on what my driving habits are at about a 1/3 for that reason...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts