Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For two hours I tried getting the QD connections off of both tank and line near the fuel cooler. No dice. So, I tried doing the lines on the fuel cooler. No problem, piece of cake, they came right off. What I realized is the smaller tool has a much longer section that goes into the fitting. The larger size is very short and does not seem to engage at all compared to the smaller size tool on the return line, where I could feel a big difference when it engaged the fitting. Here is a pic below showing the lip size on the 1/2" tool. I got this tool set at Auto Zone. Did I get ripped off?

·
Registered
447 Posts

I purchased the Lisle 37000 quick disconnect tool and had the line off in less than 2 minutes.
<DIV>I heard of a lot of grief from others trying to use the other short style of tool. I've heard somewhere that size doesn't matter its how you use it, but in this case it sure does.
</DIV>

Edited by: Dmax affair

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS. IVE REBUILT 2 WRECKED DMAXES INWHICH THE FRAME HAD TO BE REPLACED AND HAD TO TAKE THOSE FITTINGS OFF. I DIDNT HAVE THE SPECIAL TOOL AND IT WAS TOTAL HECK. GLAD TO KNOW THAT.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Lisle tool set pictured above is what I used also. Had the same problem you mention. I could get the return line to disengage easily, using 3/8 inch tool. The larger 1/2 inch supply line was more difficult (especially on the tank where I was working by mirrors). It took me 5 minutes to get the QD's to disengage on the 1/2 inch lines.

On the Lisle tool set, the 1/2 inch tool has a longer section that goes into the fitting. The 3/8 inch tool has a shorter section that goes into the fitting. I bought the above tools set at Pep Boys, others have reported that it is available at Sears.

Read the following post for a couple of tips (by Diesel Power) on how to get the QD's to disengage.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95&PN=1

Alan

·
Registered
663 Posts
Dmax affair,

Hey, Nice Picture! ... It looks familiar ... Glad to see it's getting some use..

One thing I found out the hard way when trying to remove the Tank QD is that not all QD tools are the same. You need one (like the Lisle) with a collar that is long enough to depress and align with the 4 tabs in the coupling.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the same problem last weekend doing my Nicktane filter install. I was using the same tool that you have in your picture. They are junk as far as I am concerned. I went to Pep Boys and got the Lisle tools and had both of my quick disconnects disconnected in 5 minutes. The longer length collar is really needed, the shorter ones just don't seem to go in far enough to disengage.

Curtis

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone! This place is great. Can't imagine the frustration someone would have if they did not have a resource like this.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You mean there was a tool set I could have bought to get those da#$%d things off? :-( I looked for info on that a couple months ago when I did mine, but didn't see anything... (I probably didn't look hard enough) I just used a screwdriver and you talk about a PITA! I could have never done it if I hadn't lowered the tank completely to the ground. And then I ruined the OEM line which I won't need ever again anyway...

Tim

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, there is a NAPA tool that can be bought individually that worked very well for me. If anyone is interested, I could post the part number for the tool. It cost $3.50 retail. I emailed Nick and told him he should buy a dozen of them and just include them in the kit.

Better move this to the Nicktane Questions Forum
Just teasing Hoot.

JessEdited by: jesshd

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not moved yet?? Hoot, are you sleeping?

Jess

·
Registered
238 Posts
Been here long enough Hoot, needs to be moved to the Nicktane section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts