Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I need a quick change WD hitch. The rapid hitch is fast at height changes, but not WD. My Reese WD hitch is great, but not really fast height changes here.
Can someone tell me why replacing the bolts in my WD hitch with the pins used on tractors to change buckets, 3pt hitch implements, etc. would be a bad idea? It looks to be the same grade or better pin, and no wrenches would be required?

Thanks,
Sir Veyor

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, as long as the pins are as strong and fit snug (don't want any slop in the hitch head) I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There would be to much slop and overwork the distribution system. They are designed so that you can set the proper angle of the head unit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would call Reese and ask them about it.

Addit: After that, I would call my insurance co. just to make sure I wasn't going to be left holding the bag should anything happen. Get everything in writing from Reese and your ins co.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The top hole on the head is oblonged to adjust for the angle of the head. I install Draw-tite/Reese products everyday and the pin idea will not work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not possible for a few reasons...

The top hole on the head is oblonged to adjust for the angle of the head. I install Draw-tite/Reese products everyday and the pin idea will not work.
Many Thanks Johnswiftm and others for the useful and detailed answers!

On another site someone also mentioned that the bolts are used more to compress the two parts together, using compression washers, so their shear weight doesn't really come into play, just the need to get those washers tight. I guess the only way to speed up changing the WD hitch height is get an air gun. I like the Oasis 24V one.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts