Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i got a lbz duramax and i have some questions.

Do you have t plug it in at night?

Also how long until you can start driving fast?

THATS ALL THE QUESTIONS I HAVE AND WOULD LIKE TO THANK HOWARD_M18. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

LOVE ALL THE POWER. THE LBZ DMAX IS AWESOME.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Powerstar23, I see that you got it!! Yea!! The dealer took the #? That saved a $1.98, Hugh? The norm is to plug it in at night if it is cold enough. It is suggested to use a timer (HEAVY DUTY) & plug it in for 4-5 hrs. before you take off with it. The biggest concern is "Don't use Cruise Control" for the first 500 miles. Other than that, go for it. In 2001, I had to drive home 100 miles on the interstate so I asked the salesman if I had to go home the now interstate roads. He told me no C/C & go for it! I was doing 80 & didn't know it! Enjoy! Enjoy! Howard

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Do not plug it in unless its below 0, if you do you will likely get a check engine light. Wait 500 miles or so then have at it. I put mine to work with its first haul at 300 or so. So far 43,000 miles and loving it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do not plug it in unless its below 0, if you do you will likely get a check engine light. Wait 500 miles or so then have at it. I put mine to work with its first haul at 300 or so. So far 43,000 miles and loving it.
Why do you get a check eng light if you plug in and its not below 0 F???? I have been doing it for a while and the only time I get check eng lights is when towing...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You absolutely do not need below 0 or any other temp. to plug in your heater.Have had DM's since the very beginning in 2001--NEVER had any lights,codes,etc.--I don't even think it's tied to any type of computerization.Been running diesels for 32 years--the block heater can definitely be your best friend when you turn that key:grd: in the early AM.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hello i got a lbz duramax and i have some questions.

Do you have t plug it in at night?

Also how long until you can start driving fast?

THATS ALL THE QUESTIONS I HAVE AND WOULD LIKE TO THANK HOWARD_M18. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

LOVE ALL THE POWER. THE LBZ DMAX IS AWESOME.
There is a thing called an operators manual in the glove box, take time to read it. There are supplement manuals for the Duramax motor and for the Allison, read them. As far as the block heater goes I have not used it yet. I have started mine at 11 below zero with no problem. As far as how to drive a new truck vary the RPMs, punch it a few times and lug it a little in the first 100 miles. What ever you do do not beat it or baby it. I have always worked my trucks a few miles when new to speed up setting the rings. Once I have towed some heavy loads my trucks run better and the MPG improves. The Duramax was meant to be a work truck not a daily people hauler

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i started mine this morning with the truck parked in 16 inches of snow and the outside temp was 31 degrees. it died twice before running normal. i should have plugged it in but we were "borrrowing" power from the neighbor.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
The '06s will indeed throw codes and in some cases go into engine limp mode if you plug them in when it is too warm.

The ECM reads the intake air, oil, fuel, and exhaust temperatures. If those temperatures are outside of expected parameters, it throws a code and may go into limp.

Don't plug it in or use the winter front unless it's below 0. Says so right in the manual.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Yeah,your engine will start at-11,but is it wise to continually do so without the block heater--HELL NO.You paid for it--it's there--why not use it?Never had a problem with any codes or limping--usually,I'll plug mine in at about 20 or colder,use a timer set for 4-5 hours.My manual just suggests 0 or colder-it does NOT say it has to be that cold before you plug in.Do you honestly think the General would build a simple device like a block heater to be only used at a certain temperature? Some people might not have a thermometer or listen to the radio or TV and might simply feel cold--they want to warm up baby so it starts all nice in the morning--you think GM would warrant this?Also,how would the engine know if it got warmed up electrically so to speak or was run to get warmed?This just seems like common sense to me but I did check with my service manager and he agrees with me--he's never seen any codes thrown from using the heater above 0.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It was in the teens and 20s here through all of February when I got my truck. I drive it everyday and it didn't once have a hard time starting or stalling. I won't bother with the block heater till It doesn't start.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
It was in the teens and 20s here through all of February when I got my truck. I drive it everyday and it didn't once have a hard time starting or stalling. I won't bother with the block heater till It doesn't start.
Mike--You got to think of a block heater like a stripper giving you a lap dance.Sure, she'll continue grinding away,but whisper a nice tip in her ear and see what happens:muahaha: Seriously,of course your engine will start in the very cold,but do you want to prolong it's life,do you want instant heat when you get inside,do you want to be able to drive off sooner--it's just very cheap insurance--it's there to be used.Having iron for 32 years,it comes second nature to me--have you ever poured oil at -20---MOLASSES--just my humble.........02

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Tuney, what year truck do you have?
I am telling you that the new 2006 LLY and LBZ trucks WILL throw codes and set CEL/SES if you plug in the block heater when it is above 0.

The computers in these trucks now monitor EVERYTHING, and if temperature measurements do not make sense, the computer assumes that there is a problem.

GM realizes that this is a problem, and is supposedly working on a fix for it.

You could remove the cat from an '04 or '05 non-CA truck and not have problems, but the '06s will all set EGR codes and may bring up an SES light or even go into limp mode. Things are changing on these trucks. 2007 is going to be even worse with the new standards.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I am telling you that the new 2006 LLY and LBZ trucks WILL throw codes and set CEL/SES if you plug in the block heater when it is above 0.
I sure hope they correct this by next winter. I plugged in my 01 any time it was under 38, same with my 05. Not that it was needed to start the truck. Just nice to have heat right a way.

The 01 I had to use the winter front if it was below 35 to keep the engine up to normal operating temp. The 05 I never used the winter front, at 19 degrees out it still was running at 200 degrees coolant temp. The 01 in 19 degree weather would have been 165 coolant temp or lower.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts

The computers in these trucks now monitor EVERYTHING, and if temperature measurements do not make sense, the computer assumes that there is a problem.

GM realizes that this is a problem, and is supposedly working on a fix for it.

You could remove the cat from an '04 or '05 non-CA truck and not have problems, but the '06s will all set EGR codes and may bring up an SES light or even go into limp mode. Things are changing on these trucks. 2007 is going to be even worse with the new standards.
I have a 04.5--LLY.You do sound like you know your stuff;I'm just having trouble believing GM did this and to add that my dealer knows nothing is unbelievable.I'm going to check today if I can with another service manager or diesel tech at this other dealership.When that monitor knows when it's time for the driver to take a leak,I'm buying a horse.:rant: :rant:

·
Registered
334 Posts

im glad i bought my truck now:cool:

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
It kinda makes sense that if the computer "see's" two BIG temperature differences,it'll throw a code or go into limp.I'm just glad my lb7 doesnt do it because I plug it in any time it's gonna get into the single digits around here,which is usually 'till the end of March.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I bought my 06 in late December. I have used the heater 4 or 5 times with temps between 20 to 30 degrees. So far, no codes.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just nice to have heat right a way.
Agreed. When it gets "cold" here (okay, below 65) I don't even bother using the heater... it takes 10 miles to get any warmth out of the vents.
I'm glad I bought the LT3 with heated seats :D

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I bought my 06 in late December. I have used the heater 4 or 5 times with temps between 20 to 30 degrees. So far, no codes.
Rich--So the service manager{also a diesel mechanic} tells me no on reading codes/limp,etc. on plugging in above o.{JUST checking--are we all talking in Fahrenheit here?--just came from another post on this}He does say,however,that wearing the bra CAN cause trouble in warmer temps.So Tom {above} and others have not had problems-can this be just a coincidence of bras installed during warmer temps and blaming the heater instead?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts