Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed the voltage a little below 14. went threw and checked grounds and alt connections yesterday restarted truck and back up to 14+ we go again. Tonight went to store and back approx. 15 miles non highway the truck dies restarts make it a couple more miles dies again notice gage on dash with the key off barred to the left some where around -10 volts lol. the truck would not start what'd 5 Min final started but voltage reading back to the 10 -12 range WHY????????????

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hi Jerry welcome to the site take a few minutes to update your ride info per welcome note link in my signature. Off hand may be a PMD but more to check 1st before condemning it see FAQ in my sig as well tons of 6.5 info, was thinking also possible batt problem (how old are they) would have to drop very low to shutdown truck, which is normally sympton of a bad PMD

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mine recently did the exact same thing...turned out it was the ignition switch.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I second this

I agree with what Turbine Doc said. Could very well be pmd. However, if your batteries are old and there is alot of flucuation between voltages reported, check batteries and altenator. First check all cables and connections for tightness and corrosion.

When I first got my truck I was told truck was having pmd issues. However, after getting two new 875 cc amp batteries, checking and changing cables, have had no such problems. In fact the more I drive the truck the better things are getting.

We decided one of the old batteries had a cell going bad, truck ran great until cell decided to fail and then voltage dropped and shut truck down.
So I would say if your batteries are older than 4 to 5 years it might well be time to replace them. You should be able to have altenator system checked at local parts store. This also might help to if there is a battery isssue also.

Being a computer electronics graduate I will tell you this, computer ic chips are sensitive critters, if they don't have the proper voltage supplied they like to due funky things. So if you have a battery that has a failing cell it might supply enough voltage for a little while, but when that cell drops dead, voltage drops and the chip decideds it can't function.

Sorry so long, I like to provide info when I can, especially when involves things I actually know-- the electronics part, not the diesel, still novice at the diesel thing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
noticed the voltage a little below 14. went threw and checked grounds and alt connections yesterday restarted truck and back up to 14+ we go again. Tonight went to store and back approx. 15 miles non highway the truck dies restarts make it a couple more miles dies again notice gage on dash with the key off barred to the left some where around -10 volts lol. the truck would not start what'd 5 Min final started but voltage reading back to the 10 -12 range WHY????????????
bad connections will do that. my alt went and i couldn't shift into drive from 2nd. swapped alt. truck ran great for 2 days and noticed alt guage low, truck ran like crap. died started died and so on. swapped out alt. after all this found out the battery connections were crap. notorious problem on the site. especially on the passenger positive connections. try using jumper cables as a way around the various connections to see if your voltmeter moves. if it does you've found the problem and need to tighten the connection after cleaning it up. my connections came loose and i tightened the ______ out of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i have been look at the FAQ's for awhile this is just the first time I posted. You guys have saved me tons of cash just in the FAQ section

I'am thinking pmd also i have relocated it and tightened it up but have not had problem since i did that a few months ago.

Is it possible for the ops to pull enough amps notice fuel pump sounds louder at times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
went to O'rielly's tonight they tried to give me some lawnmower cable no thanks I will try to find some 2/0 at work tomarrow

batteries are 1100 cc and 2 months old

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Yes it's contacts that power the lift pump via OPS that cause the problem, best fix is a relay to carry the big load so OPS is only powering control side coil of the relay. Or your lift pump could be starting to give out, run the lift pump test in FAQ

I have been known to get spooled up over this so update your signature with truck info once you go through RPO code list, cheap price of admission here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Check your cables and grounds. Joispoi had the exact same problem that he chased for months. He had a bad connection at one of the battery terminals. Cheap check!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.