Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,
I am new to this great site witha plethera of information! Keep it up!

A little history on me, I am Huge into Jeep and off roading. I am now married and have a little one. The closest place to go wheeling is three hours away. So, to long for the wife and kid to bump along in an old Jeep with big tires. I need a tow rig/ Dailey Driver.

Ofcorse go GM product. (they are the best):ro)

What I have found: 80K 02 2500HD 4x4 LS Duramax/Allison. (can't beat it, wife and I fell in love after the firat drive)

The Questions:

1. What should I look at?
2. What questions should I ask the original owner?
3. If the injectors have not been replaced, should I have it done?
4. What should be my first performance up grade?

Any help would be greatly appriacted.
Thanks
James

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well in my opinion the 02's are one of the best trucks out there, look for stuff in the front end, wheelbearings, play in the steering wheel, general stuff like that. Ask if the injectors have ever been done, if they haven't not a real big deal, they are warrantied for 200k. You will notice hard starting, low oil press. white smoke crappy milage if they are bad. Has it ever been chipped? If it has I would question the trans, most likely it is fine. For your first upgrade do an exhaust system next would be a chip, I love my edge Juice Attitude, I personally do not like the programmer style tuners, I like the on the fly adjustability.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY very much for the quick reply.

It has never been chipped. It did have some stearing issues before but they have been fixed as for the injectors I have no idea. The gas milage sceams to be pretty good so far. . . no white smoke either. I borrowed the truck this weekend and towed a buddies Jeep to where we wheel as my Jeep is in pieces right now :rolleyes: . . . . It's just over 200 miles if I rember correctly, it only burned a 1/4 tank. Well, from Full to 1/4 tank mark. I could not belive it! The last time I towwed my Jeep out there with a FORD gas truck. . .it was a tank up and a tank back. That was a the big seller for my wife. :ro)
Anyway. thanks
James G

P.S> Sweet Jeep, I hope to see you on the trails some time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Go to the VIN check section here and ask someone to run the Vin for you.
You'll then have the warranty repair history for that truck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome, James. I'm pretty new here myself. I bought my truck after researching here a bit. My situation is much the same. The family likes this truck as much as I do. I am big into wheelin' and tow a Jeep to the trails too. Luckily, the closest place is only an hour away. I just got a B&W hitch so I can pull the big trailer as soon as I install it. I'd like to hear about your Jeep and where you 'wheel.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Go to the VIN check section here and ask someone to run the Vin for you.
You'll then have the warranty repair history for that truck.
that is a great idea before you go and buy a truck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts