Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the basics on how it helps the fuel burn better and such but... let's say in an all out application (after a tranny build) with dual programming (Hot OJ and Quad 215) ... could you spray some propane on top of that programming? What about propane and nitrous? I recall that nitrous can only be used with lots of extra fuel...and since LP is fuel, would that work well?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes it does work, but with big programs and propane (which is just an extra fuel) you can get some nasty detonation if you run alot of it. It's not highly recommended running lots of power boxes and alot of advance which is some of what they do. The propane advances it even more. It's not timed, it's intake injected. PPE had a bad experience not to long ago. They through two pistons out the side of the block because of the detonation with the propane. UGLY! Propane is good for towing if you watch the EGTs and mild power biulding. Super Diesel

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
could you spray some propane on top of that programming?

worth another 40 rwhp or so...........but your tranny is not gonna like the stack much less the added propane.......propane and nitrous questions soon to be answered
Edited by: sdaver

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pacific Performance has been running propane on their vehicles with their products for over three years now with outstanding results.

You dont think it might have been the mega dose of nitrous that did in their block? or the boxes they had stacked???? Naw it had to be the propane.
Research can be painful sometimes.
Propane will make your truck burn cleaner. It will not make your truck puke more black smoke since it will actually assist in burning the fuel that you have.
The propane enters the combustion chamber thru the heads w/ the intake air and as it is compressed it starts to ignite. Then with the propane already burning, the diesel is injected and , the diesel fuel is surrounded by burning propane which helps the diesel fuel that you have get started burning sooner. This is where the advance of your timing comes in. You have effectively increased the time that your diesel fuel has to burn and you effectively burn more of your fuel. Also the propane acts as a fuel as well. This is why you get better mpg, better hp, etc...

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Propane is fine when used in moderation. But dumping it on top of stacked boxes could be risky.

I see a competitive edge when dynoing your truck to beat your rival. But to stack and lp around town for any length of time could cost you.

I have to admit, after three years of driving my GMC and hearing, reading and watching some of you guys beat the living heck out of the Dmax.. I am truly impressed with what it can handle. Some of you have simply thrown everything available at it with no real engine issues. It's pretty amazing. (I don't mean the big stuff like twin turbos) That's why I believe my truck blowing a head gasket was a pretty isolated case. With all the boxes and performance stuff going on, you rarely read of head gasket failure. The turbos on the LB7's also seem to be able to take an awful lot of abuse. I've seen and heard of failures but they are few and far between.

I remember way back in the beginning talking to a few of the performance vendors and shops. They were saying the Duramax just doesn't have the potential with the aluminum heads and they were hearing horror stories about heads. One well known fellow I talked to was all into the 7.3 PSD with mods and sales. He had nothing good to say about it. Today his site is filled with Duramax performance merchandise and he's a real believer.

I think the aluminum heads is the real key to this engines ability to handle heat and the well designed block/rotating assy finishes the package. A lot has been learned about the high pressure common rail in the mean time and hopefully some of those issues will be addressed soon too.

Remember.. not many changes were made to the Dmax from 2001 through 2003. That's pretty impressive for an all new design engine.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I ran propane but once I bought me first power box, I did away with it. I do not think it`s a good idea to stack anything on a daily driver. But others see it differently.

It seems to me that shortly after Hoot added the Juice to his propane powered truck things kind of went to pot
Did the combo have anything to do with it? Maybe!

·
Registered
115 Posts
use it dont abuse it. if you hear it detonating then lift.. Dont think it will hurt anything if used in moderation from time to time.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
N2O is not a fuel. Its only oxygen for the motor. It helps the mixture burn. It dosn't advances the timing like propane does. If it was a fuel it would be on a fogger system like the propane and incorporate diesel fuel with it. On big programs with lots of timing, it is a death sentence to the motor. Thats the reason PPE didn't run propane with the Extreme program and went with N2O instead. Super Diesel Edited by: Super Diesel

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes they were. They were running it with the Xcelerator program, and Duramaximizer all together. They didn't run propane with the Extreme program. Have you run propane with success on the Extreme program King d? I discarded mine in fear of a KABOOOM. I do run the Nitrous Express however. Super Diesel Edited by: Super Diesel

·
Registered
115 Posts
ppe had to run propane with the extreme, b/c they had no additional fuel system to support the dual -6 n20 lines w/o jets. Quiet frankly i dont even think they ran the decelerator program in that truck. Why would they if they knew it made alot less power then the extreme? They claim that the 11.37 was made using the Xcelerator but they also claim it was done at Carlsbad. Looking at the pics, the track is clearly not Carlsbad and nowhere near Los Angeles. I also find it funny they have video of everything but the infamous 11.37 pass. They are probably working on building a computer generated video for that one, along with some more pathetic marketing ideas.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ive stacked the extreme(the real one) w/ propane

515.8/932.8 SAE 4th gear .97 correction factorEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
No problems yet sdaver? Just curious. They are pretty meager gains though arn't they? Super Diesel

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Super Diesel said:
Yes they were. They were running it with the Xcelerator program, and Duramaximizer all together. They didn't run propane with the Extreme program. Have you run propane with success on the Extreme program King d? I discarded mine in fear of a KABOOOM. I do run the Nitrous Express however. Super Diesel
first off i dont think ppe ever had a true extrme program to begin with.i did take off my lp but that is because i choose to go a different route.dave runs his have to take his word on how it works.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
conservative gains

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well is it possible to have a box made (like the Quad 215) that has less timing in the Full Race mode so you could run the additional LP?

Maybe like an ECU like TTS...could there be a switch that would run a full out program with lots of timing and less incase you wanted to use LP and N2O?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Well is it possible to have a box made (like the Quad 215) that has less timing in the Full Race mode so you could run the additional LP?

Maybe like an ECU like TTS...could there be a switch that would run a full out program with lots of timing and less incase you wanted to use LP and N2O?
You might be taking some programmed power out by retarding timing. Then you want to add lp. You may gain back what you lost (just surmising) but what's the point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
from what i saw on the dyno, you would have to turn up the propane quiet a bit for it to make up the lost hp. I only saw ~25 additional hp with the propane(factory ps2000 settings). Although you can definately feel the difference especially at low rpm/speed, the dyno numbers were alittle dissapointing. Although it doesnt hit like nitrous does, you and your tranny can definately feel it working.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts