Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
05 Silverado Duramax 3500 EC/LB 4x4 Vin2
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy Dieselplace residents! After a ton of research, I have come to realize the missing information required to plan my build requires experience to answer so I came here to find some wisdom. I'm looking to extend the life of a 05 LLY and hit 330 400-450 RWHP. I know a tuner can give the HP easily but I also want a healthy truck.

Here's my list, thank you for any help you can provide. I realize some of this is likely situational but any input will shed some light for a guy in the dark.

Is deleting the cat and muff from the stock exhaust worth the trouble?

What effect will a downpipe upgrade have if I retain stock (or gutted stock) exhaust?

What effect will a downpipe upgrade have if I upgrade the exhaust?

Is there any reason to upgrade exhaust without upgrading the downpipe?

How would a downpipe change the tone of the exhaust/turbo?

Is a bigger downpipe useless without bigger up pipes?

If I use a tuner to disengage the EGR are there any physical changes needed to reap the benefits?

Are there any weight reduction mods?

That's enough to get us started. Thank you.

Edited: Reduce HP goal due to knowledge gained about Allison 5 spd limitations.
Edited: Reduced HP goal more and died a little inside 馃槀

Administrator
Howdy Dieselplace residents! After a ton of research, I have come to realize the missing information required to plan my build requires experience to answer so I came here to find some wisdom. I'm looking to extend the life of a 05 LLY and hit 400-450 HP. I know a tuner can give the HP easily but I also want a healthy truck.

Here's my list, thank you for any help you can provide. I realize some of this is likely situational but any input will shed some light for a guy in the dark.

Is deleting the cat and muff from the stock exhaust worth the trouble?

What effect will a downpipe upgrade have if I retain stock (or gutted stock) exhaust?

What effect will a downpipe upgrade have if I upgrade the exhaust?

Is there any reason to upgrade exhaust without upgrading the downpipe?

How would a downpipe change the tone of the exhaust/turbo?

Is a bigger downpipe useless without bigger up pipes?

If I use a tuner to disengage the EGR are there any physical changes needed to reap the benefits?

Are there any weight reduction mods?

That's enough to get us started. Thank you.
The best thing you can start with for a healthy truck is a Lift Pump and Fuel Filtration.
For example, a Kennedy twin lift pump setup with the Mega filter kit will do your truck wonders.

Intake and exhaust mods will allow it to breathe better.
Depending on your State/County regarding emissions, it will influence what you can or cannot modify.
Straight pipe with no Muffler/Cat will give you a loud exhaust drone while driving down the road which is fine if you are a single person but if you have family/significate other that rides with you, they will probably tire of the drone noise quickly.
Be sure to study the FAQ page in the LLY section for quick goto info links:

Contact this member/Supporting Vendor and start a conversation for some great advice on your exhaust/intake questions:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The best thing you can start with for a healthy truck is a Lift Pump and Fuel Filtration.
For example, a Kennedy twin lift pump setup with the Mega filter kit will do your truck wonders.

My research led me to believe a lift pump was unnecessary at my HP goals. I did read it was good for the cp3 pump's lifetime as well. I believe I read porting your fuel rail fittings was also good for it and have that mod planned out already. After looking at the prices for both It seems replacing/upgrading the pump is cheaper than than the adding the lift pump. Not ideal but does fit my budget better. Is this logic flawed? Beyond the fuel pump life and higher HP support is there any other reasons to do the lift pump?

I was looking into the CAT filter upgrade. Since the truck has a water sensor I have reservations about it. It just seems like a good idea to know if there is water in my fuel. Am I being silly here?

Intake and exhaust mods will allow it to breathe better.
Depending on your State/County regarding emissions, it will influence what you can or cannot modify.

Luckily Texas is pretty good in that department, and the 2005 lly doesn't require emissions testing for inspections.

Straight pipe with no Muffler/Cat will give you a loud exhaust drone while driving down the road which is fine if you are a single person but if you have family/significate other that rides with you, they will probably tire of the drone noise quickly.

That is excellent information! I am not looking to greatly increase cabin noise. The vehicle is mainly used by me or my father but the family does use it for road trips. Perhaps a cat delete and leaving the muffler on is a better option? I just read that the muffler isn't that restricting and if that's the case I am fine with leaving it on. Mainly looking for better breathing but a bit more growl would be nice also.

Be sure to study the FAQ page in the LLY section for quick goto info links:

The FAQ has a ton of great info. I have bookmarked a lot of the links for further reading. I will be tackling that today!

Contact this member/Supporting Vendor and start a conversation for some great advice on your exhaust/intake questions:

I get a message saying "Oops! We ran into some problems.
This user's profile is not available." When I try that link.
Thanks for your insights!

Administrator
My research led me to believe a lift pump was unnecessary at my HP goals. I did read it was good for the cp3 pump's lifetime as well. I believe I read porting your fuel rail fittings was also good for it and have that mod planned out already. After looking at the prices for both It seems replacing/upgrading the pump is cheaper than than the adding the lift pump. Not ideal but does fit my budget better. Is this logic flawed? Beyond the fuel pump life and higher HP support is there any other reasons to do the lift pump?
Thanks for your insights!
Here is some tech tip info from Kennedy Diesel on the lift pump for Duramax.
If you're doing HP mods you will want stable fuel pressure and you'll also need to do some upgrades to the Trans to support the HP
I was looking into the CAT filter upgrade. Since the truck has a water sensor I have reservations about it. It just seems like a good idea to know if there is water in my fuel. Am I being silly here?
It's always good to detect the presence of any water in your fuel. You can use any good quality filtration system like a Racor, CAT, or Kennedy's Mega Filter kit:
That is excellent information! I am not looking to greatly increase cabin noise. The vehicle is mainly used by me or my father but the family does use it for road trips. Perhaps a cat delete and leaving the muffler on is a better option? I just read that the muffler isn't that restricting and if that's the case I am fine with leaving it on. Mainly looking for better breathing but a bit more growl would be nice also.
A good flow-thru Muffler would work
I get a message saying "Oops! We ran into some problems.
This user's profile is not available." When I try that link.
Are you using a mobile device (tapatalk app) to view the forum?
If so you need to change your device screen settings to "Desktop View"
The link should work correctly when you do that.
If you still have troubles do a member search for Rick D Lance ( Pro-Fab)
You can contact:
John Kennedy over at Kennedy Diesel; Kennedy Diesel
Rick D Lance at Pro_Fab; Truck Aftermarket Parts Supplier in Holden, MO
Brent @ Lincoln Diesel Specialties; Diesel Injection, Parts and Services
for some great upgrade advice from our Supporting vendors

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Here is some tech tip info from Kennedy Diesel on the lift pump for Duramax.

I will grok that asap, ty.

If you're doing HP mods you will want stable fuel pressure and you'll also need to do some upgrades to the Trans to support the HP

Today I learned over 400 RWHP is not advisable for the Allison without mods. I had previously read 500 HP was acceptable but I want reliability first, performance second. This means my new goal maxes out at 400 rwhp because a built trans is out of my price range for sure.

It's always good to detect the presence of any water in your fuel. You can use any good quality filtration system like a Racor, CAT, or Kennedy's Mega Filter kit:

Do any of these retain the wif sensor? I didn't think any of the aftermarkets did?

A good flow-thru Muffler would work

Will look into that for sure.

Are you using a mobile device (tapatalk app) to view the forum? If so you need to change your device screen settings to "Desktop View" The link should work correctly when you do that. If you still have troubles do a member search for Rick D Lance ( Pro-Fab)

You can contact:
John Kennedy over at Kennedy Diesel; Kennedy Diesel
Rick D Lance at Pro_Fab; Truck Aftermarket Parts Supplier in Holden, MO
Brent @ Lincoln Diesel Specialties; Diesel Injection, Parts and Services
for some great upgrade advice from our Supporting vendors

No taptalk. Same message in mobile/desktop view and on my laptop. Links much appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The Kennedy pumps are way cheaper than what I was looking at. Going to have to play with my budget and strongly consider the upgrade!

Administrator
The Kennedy pumps are way cheaper than what I was looking at. Going to have to play with my budget and strongly consider the upgrade!
Kennedy Diesel also has some great tech tips listed on his website.
John can answer any questions about HP gains to water in fuel detection and more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
After some more investigating... So without rebuilding my Allison 330 RWHP is 100% safe and beyond gets risky?

Administrator
After some more investigating... So without rebuilding my Allison 330 RWHP is 100% safe and beyond gets risky?
Anything above 50HP gains you should start upgrading the trans or you'll reduce the Allison lifespan

For some advice on the Trans, I would look up Inglewood Transmission. Mike L is very wise when it comes to the Allison transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts