Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been lookin into the whole bio-diesel concept and been doing lots of reading and homework on it. Haven't run my first tank yet, but real close. I wanted to get some of the people's comments about running their homebrew? What engine are you running it in? In what ratio? What type of processor? Bubble or mist wash? or both? what temp do you heat yours before adding your methoxide? What is your primary source of oil? Any modifications/suggestion for the truck? Any related problems to your truck?

All that said this is my setup situation. I have a homemade processor with a 80gal waterheater a few 55gal barrels and various tanks and pumps. Will post pics soon. Most everything is found out a local Lowe's. Live around a bunch of resturants and secured a couple with an OK to collect their fuel. Setup 55gal barrels onsite for them to deposit the fryer oil in.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pa1dfor,

PM me with you e-mail.
I'll send you some pictures of the set up I have. I make 60 - 100+ gallons a month for personal use. I run B80 summer and B30 -B50 winter. Now that I have EFIlive. I'll work with a tune so I can run B100 in the summer and have the extra HP making a custom tune.
The quality of WVO will determin the quailty of Biodiesel you make. The more the WVO is used the more lye is needed untill it won't titrate. Then it becomes gell in test batches. I have a 63 gallon batch now that is bubble air drying. It's crystal clear when done and will start to cloud at 28F and is clear at 30. Conola WVO will start to cloud at 24F. That oil is hard to find. I test Biodiesel quality by reprossing a test batch of B100, 1 liter of BD, 200ml methonal end 3.5 grams lye. You shouldn't have any glycerin fall out. If you have glycerin fall out, You had a partial reaction. That's where you can run into problems with injectors and filter plugging. Because BD has some moisture in it. The lye reacts with the BD to create a soap haze that when washed and dried will be crystal clear again.

The reaction take place in a closed vesel about 125 -130F, 2 hours of prossing( over kill), Add 5% HOT Water 120F, Glyserin pre wash, Drain off Glycerin, Hot water bubble wash for 12 hours, Another Hot water bubble wash 24 hours, Drain water and air bubble dry. Crystal clear in about 4 hours. I over kill on drying for 2 days.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts