Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have expereince using a PPE Boost Controller with a Hypertech III programmer? I'm not looking to race but I like the added power (safely) and mpg that you can get from the Hypertech but I also need more air at the higher elevations. Last summer pulling a trailer (8,000 lbs.) over 10,000 Ft my truck bogged down quite a bit. Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I too would like any input on this same setup. I am running the Hypertech on Stage III now and was thinking of the PPE Boost Controller, worth it or not?

Mike :driver:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am running edge with a boost controller, i have not seen an mileage change because i just got it before winter. i have seen my EGTs drop 100-200 degrees, along with a little more power. I say worth it!!!! takes only 20 mins to install it just a little tight. i recommend using long screw drivers to line everything up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MadMaxMike - Do you like the Hypertech? I have one on the way. After all the research seems like the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just so you are aware, the hypertech is a good safe tuner but does not give you tons of power, this sounds like a good choice for what you want. Like i said, the best part about the hypertech is that is safe and doesnt put out enough power to cause damage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I'm looking for a little more power, the ability to read and clear codes and maybe a little better fuell mileage. I have no interest in leaving pieces of my Ally laying on the ground like some of these other guys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ran my Hypertech at level 3 for 10k miles. It provided good power and my MPG went from 18 to 20MPG when running around town empty. It never got above 1250* when towing 8,000 lbs.

I've had a Predator for about a week now (I haven't towed with it yet or checked my MPG). I've been running it on the +45HP tune. Based on my "seat-of-the-pants" experience, the Predator shifts much better than the Hypertech and seems to have better low end grunt. It does raise my EGTs rapidly though and I'm going to have to keep an eye on them when I tow.

I guess, what I'm saying is: I agree, the Hypertech is a great tuner for towing. Also, I think the Predator provides more low end power, but it runs hotter.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Colorado Christian,

I haven't tried any other programmers so I can only comment on the Hypertech, here goes:

I had Hypertech chips or programmers in my last 3 gassers:

'93 GMC Sonoma Ext cab Vortec 4.3 w/6" lift on 33's
'00 Chevy S10 ZR-2 Vortec 4.3
'02 Chevy Z71 Ext cab 5.3

So I stuck with them on the LBZ. As was mentioned, you can tow the full rated towing capacity of the vehicle on Stage III which I liked. Its a 95HP 180TQ increase so it is a significant boost of power over stock.

I already had my 4" turbo back catless Magnaflow duals and AFE Stage III filter so I had the increased intake and exhaust flow.

If you REALLY wanna see the difference, do what I did...When I got it, I went straight for Stage III and took it for a test drive :eek: Holy balls!!! I turned onto my road, got it straightened out and rolled into it and the rear hides just went up in smoke. :rockit:

I left it on Stage III for a few days/week or so but it didnt seem to be shifting right, so on advice found here I deprogrammed it and loaded Stage I. Drove for 100-150 or so miles until it was shifting decent then loaded Stage II, same thing 100-150 or til shifting decent, then to Stage III. I went kind of easy on it with random rompings until the shifting relearned and now it runs like a raped ape.

You will notice some irregular shifting for possibly even up to 1000+ miles after loading Stage III, until it learns every kind of shift situation you come across, but mine sorted itself out. Also after loading once, maybe twice, my accelerator pedal didnt work :confused: Press it down and it did nothing, I just reprogrammed and it worked fine...no clue, but it scared me at first!

I drive 130 highway miles round trip to work every day and realize there are other more powerful programmers out there, but I dont have to screw with mine and I know I'm not gonna grenade my tranny if I have to get up on her a bit. I tried an entire tankful on all 3 different stages and couldnt notice a substantial fuel mileage increase in a particular stage, may just be my driving style though...fast. I like the performance and decent mileage in Stage III so thats where she stays.

I bet overall for what you're using it for you probably made the right choice, either way you're gonna have a sh1t eatin' smile on your face when you get back from the test drive the first time you load up Stage III!!!

Enjoy, good luck and let us know what you think!
Mike :beerchug:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MadMaxMike - Thanks for the detailed advice on the phased programming installation advice. My programmer should get here in a few days. Can't wait.

RockRig - As far as I'm concerned they all rock!

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts