Diesel Place banner

Question on single tire wearing badly?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  tonkatruckx 
#1 ·
The front passenger side tire on the wife's Yukon is wearing unevenly, wearing worse on the outside, why is this? All other tires appear to wear fine. Is it just that the tire is not balanced correctly or could it be a wheel bearing issue?? Thanks for any help you can give. I figured since I drive an 05 GMC 2500HD CC SB D/A it would be ok to ask a question about the Yukon, lol.

#3 ·
The front passenger side tire on the wife's Yukon is wearing unevenly, wearing worse on the outside, why is this? All other tires appear to wear fine. Is it just that the tire is not balanced correctly or could it be a wheel bearing issue?? Thanks for any help you can give. I figured since I drive an 05 GMC 2500HD CC SB D/A it would be ok to ask a question about the Yukon, lol.

Wife
Yukon...large vehicle
Passenger side front tire

Looks like shes using the front tire to find the curb when parking ):h My guess would be a wheel alignment. Have a look at the sidewall to see scuffing......my moneys on that there will be some curb scuffing on it.

#4 ·
That idea crossed my mind but the tire is clean and she is a good driver so I am thinking wheel balance or maybe even old shocks. Thanks for the help.

#6 ·
there's a notice out there on the 06 silverados: the brake vacuum booster activates randomly, causing the front left caliper to apply. Wearing left tire more.
may be the case with yours. You do say it is the right side though. Something to look at or ask about

#8 ·
check the alignment not sure how the roads are in CA but here the crown in the road makes everything on the the pass side wear faster I'll bet all it needs is an alignment.

#9 ·
Make sure to check ball joints. Sometimes when they are going bad, they will just wear a tire and not be bad enough to effect the ride or handling of the vehicle.
Jack up the front end and try to move tire in and out by pushing on the top of the tire and pulling on the bottom. If it is sloppy one of the balljoints is bad.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. The ball joints seem to be ok and there isn't any habitual hard left or right turns. The shocks are the originals at 65k miles so I went ahead and put new shocks on it and rotated the tires. I will keep an eye on the "new" tire on that side now and see if it begins to wear unevenly like the other one.

#11 ·
My first question would be when you are on the interstate, does the steering wheel appear to be in the center? If it is skewed on way or the other, than the thing is probably out of alignment. Obviously, roads are crowned from the center down to the sides, so they drain, and the you might need a little side input to keep it straight, but your wheel won't be much off of center.

I am talking about if the wheel is at 10 or 11:00 or 1 to 2:00 then you need to get it checked out. Other things to think about. Is it just the outside shoulder of the passenger front, or both shoulders of that tire? If it is both, then it probably has been run low of air. If it is just the outside shoulder, then it could be something else alignment related. Look at the other front tire and see if there are any indications of wear on it.
Is you wife the only driver? Is there any high schoolers cruising in it? Ask her if she has hit a curb or ranover a median? Could be a bent control arm that is causing a camber issue. Be nice when you ask her. :)

Good luck.

#12 ·
It sounds like it's toed in to me. Mine was toed out, it wore the inside of the passenger tire twice as fast as the drivers side tire, and it drove just fine. I would get it aligned.

#13 ·
Could be an alignment. That would be my first guess. My second would be lack of rotation. Tires wear on the outside edges more when they are on the front of the vehicle because of turning and if they are not rotated regularly then the tires never have a chance at even wear. Also check the tire pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.