Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me for not knowing, but when placing an order for a new truck do most dealers require a deposit, if so is it a percentage or a flat rate? Also can I get some numbers on what people are paying. I'm looking to get a 04' D/A CC SLE 4x4 Short Bed....Silver Birch if that matters....thanks for any help.

Jose

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Mine sometimes want $100 but the last 4 trucks I didn't put anything down.

If u order some weird combo that no one else wants them they might want some money.

I can get u a card to buy the truck at GM supplier price.

Maybe $6000 or so off sticker.

Your truck high 30s, I haven't had an SLE SB so I'm not sure on MSRP.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hoser805,

In my case, to special order mine it was $1000.00 deposit (they still have not cashed the check). I had used http://www.edmunds.com/ to get an idea of the price.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Depends on how well you know the dealer. The dealership where I used to buy my trucks and Jeeps from didn't require a deposit from me, but it's franchises were sold to two different new dealerships, so I had to find a new one.

I had one dealer tell me they wanted $1000.00, but the majority of them asked for $500.00. Not a lot considering how much of their money they are comitting when ordering a truck for you. As Dmax Time said tho, something unusual and it could be quite a bit more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I were to give them some money, I'd make darn sure there was some sort of written agreement that would include a detailed description of the vehicle to be ordered as well as an expected delivery date. That way, if they come back and tell you it will be six months, you can get your money back. Make sure to read any fine print. (Also, if your trading a vehicle at the dealer, make sure they give you a firm committment on your vehicle - make them look at it.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I called around the local dealers and all requested a non-refundable $500 deposit. I also had a written deal on the truck, for that much money down. I did not get a "delivery date". I used www.kbb.com for my invoice pricing. I sent faxes to five area dealers with what I wanted and would pay per my research. I then narrowed it down to a dealer that accepted my offer at face value with the best service shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I sold cars for 3 years and I am 97% sure that a dealer cannot keep a deposit if you decide not to take the vehicle. There is a chance that I am wrong, but I was told by the GM of the dealership that we really couldn't keep the deposit if they wanted to back out.

It's not a deal until the wheels roll over the curb after signing!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A couple of thoughts from the other side of the fence having sold new and used vehicles in the past.

While there are some in the business who might not be trustworthy, most are pretty good people. Do your home work and talk to several dealers at least. Go with the one who you feel best about, but be sure to check on the service department's reputation.

You'll get more from the dealer by using honey than you will with vinegar. They'll not guarantee a delivery date unless it's so far out that there's no way it won't happen. GM won't do it, so it would be up to the dealer. Your trade, should you have one is subject to market conditions and if they appraise it, that is subject to change by the time your order arrives.

Since the prices of new vehicles are subject to change, and the invoice as well as the list price of the vehicle will not be known exactly until it's built, the best you can do is get an agreement for so much over invoice with the dealer agreeing to show you the invoice. Do some research about how to read one.

Most deposits are considered non-refundable, but most dealers will apply that amount to a future purchase should you back out of the deal.

And last, you're looking at buying the most popular vehicle GM makes right now, full size pickups. Don't go in there riding on your high horse or most will show you the door or refuse to deal. Make sure they have an allocation for the vehicle you want, or it's production will be delayed. Ask to meet the Sales Manager and see how you feel about whether or not you trust them.

While the whole process can be nerve wracking, it need not be unpleasant for either you or your dealer, and he'll be much more inclinded to help out with any questions or problems you might encounter which are not covered by warrantee. That's why if at all possible, you should buy it from who ever will be servicing it in the future.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Hoser805,

I also checked the pricing on Edmunds .com and Ihad a good idea of what my vehicle would cost ( specking it out). I then went to 2 different dealers, the second one came within $500 of what I priced it out on line for and he was very upfront, and HONEST. I had placed my order with the dealer on 12/31/03. He had given me an expected delivery date for the end of March, begining of April. I called him yesterday and he had recieved the TPW from the factory ( TARGETED PRODUCTION WEEK ) as Feb 9th with a delivery date of March 9th. I can't wait to get it.

Best of luck, Fran

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know that buying from the dealer that will service it is "supposed to be a good thing." But, why shouldn't I expect my local dealer to provide good service no matter where I bought it - especially if they are going to show the GM logo out front. Point in case - We moved half-way across the country a few years ago. The Chrysler dealer in the new town would hardly give us the time of day when it came to servicing our 3 yr old van. I really believe they were being dishonest. So, when it came time to look for trucks, I drove their floor models fully knowing that if I decided to get a Dodge I would NOT buy from them. That decision was based entirely on the experience with their service department. Treating all customers the same seems to be a good way to get new customers. Besides, many areas only have one dealer. In fact, I bought my truck out of town and the local dealer has treated me very well in terms of my warranty work. Now, I might be more prone to go get my wife an Envoy from them. With the above rule, you're pretty much fixed in where you buy it from. I'm not arguing against that mentality. I'm just not sure I completely agree with it.

Just my $2 worth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dmax Tim said:
Mine sometimes want $100 but the last 4 trucks I didn't put anything down.

If u order some weird combo that no one else wants them they might want some money.

I can get u a card to buy the truck at GM supplier price.

Maybe $6000 or so off sticker.

Your truck high 30s, I haven't had an SLE SB so I'm not sure on MSRP.

Ok Tim sounds good, another question. I live in SoCal and see the commercials every weekend for Puente Hills GMC they claim to be the west coasts biggest GMC dealer, being that they give a dealer discount independant of the factory discount. Now I'm going to give a off the top of my head guess. Let's say the GMC Denali XL stickers for $52,000 now they will give $9000 dealer dicount $3000 factory discount for a approx $40,000 final cost. Now is your card price off the MSRP and then no other discounts? I'm just trying to get the best deal. Thank you for all the replies.

Jose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts