Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Fuel Power now and want to switch over to Promise 409 for winter.
My question is do I need to run all the fuel Power treated fuel out before I change, or just start using it on my next fuel stop?
I never let my tank get lower than half in the winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
JOHN R---------From what I've read on this matter and IMHO simply fill up with diesel and add the recommended amount of 409 for the gallons of fresh fuel. Do the same for each fill-up and keep on truckin!!------By the way, I found some small plastic medicene bottles at WAL-MART that are perfect to carry pre-measured amounts of additive in. They are marked in both oz. and metric. Only cost about 80 cents each! I found 'em in the house wares dept. near the cooking stuff.---------------------PHIL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just put in the additive next time you fill up. Some people bought Sta-Bil additive (you can get it at any automotive store or WallyWorld - keeps your fuel fresh) with the main purpose of using the container (you can use the additive also without any damage). The Sta-Bil container is very handy
for dispensing measured quantities. If you purchase the Primrose product, make sure the containers have the qty they are supposed to have or complain
to the vendor if they don't. They are marked as containing 12 oz but mine all had only 9 oz. I mentioned it to the vendor and they sent me a couple extra bottles.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I tried the Sta-bil bottle. I guess I'm to dumb to figure out how to use it. Seem like a pain to refill the measuring section. Not only that, the lids (2) don't seal well.

·
Registered
665 Posts
hoot said:
I tried the Sta-bil bottle. I guess I'm to dumb to figure out how to use it. Seem like a pain to refill the measuring section. Not only that, the lids (2) don't seal well.

Hold the bottle up right, loosen car and sweeze bottle until measurement resivor is filled to where you want it., pour in tank and then refuel. Merry Christmas. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Bill Gisse said:
hoot said:

Hold the bottle up right, loosen car and sweeze bottle until measurement resivor is filled to where you want it., pour in tank and then refuel. Merry Christmas.

Ahhhhh..... thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
hoot,

maybe we've got a dumb & dumber thread after all, cause I've bought 2 sizes of sta-bil bottles and was never able to figure it out. I've been using 1 to fill the other to get the measurement so I get the dumber title!
Especially since I've read & re-read the directions.

Thanks Bill...I'll try it!!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I think the key is to open the cap in the small reservoir side. By keeping the big cap tight, when you squeeze the bottle the stuff has to go into the small reservoir.

Don't know.... I'll have to try it. I'm sure it works. I trust Bill.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It works well if you loosen the cap on the little reservoir and leave the cap on the big reservoir tight and squeeze the amount you want.

·
Registered
276 Posts
John R said:
It works well if you loosen the cap on the little reservoir and leave the cap on the big reservoir tight and squeeze the amount you want.

This DOES work, BUT the key is to JUST loosen the small cap. DO NOT TAKE IT OFF. If you do, whatever you're dispensing can spill out the top. I also just loosen it enough to allow the air to escape. That way if it does want to spill over, the cap is still on tight enough to not let it spill out.

Hoot's also right on the caps sealing. Mine fell over in my truck, and slowly leaked out. Fortunately, I had it in the bed at the time. If you're going to keep it in the cab, make sure that it will NOT tip over...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
841 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I keep my Sta-Bil container in a sealed tupperware-like container. I got tired of the smell in the cab.

The Sta-Bil dispenser is perfect for this application, and the tupperware container is kept in the rear drivers side under the seat. When I go to fill up, I just pull it out from under the seat. Mine hasn't spilled out, but if it did, it will be contained in the tupperware.

I also use a small rag inside the tupperware container. I lay the container on its side and use the rag to prop up the capped end. This will help if leaking is an issue.

IIRC, the only time I did have a leak was after capping I laid it on its side and the truck got really hot inside on a hot sunny day. The pressure forced a small leak.
SPICER</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been using Stanadyne(spelling?) fuel additive. It comes in bottles marked in 15/30/45/60 gal. I just put in something close to what it takes to fill the tank directly from the bottle. I figured being off on way or the other was no big deal. Should I be more accurate? Hope to solve this next year with a 65 gal in bed tank.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've got a couple of "squeeze up" additive bottles that I got with Optilube treatment in them a couple of years ago. They work great for measuring my FPPF for every fillup, but they don't have that long "snout" that's on the Sta-Bil bottles and I have to keep an STP treatment bottle with the bottom cut off for a funnel to get the FPPF into the filler neck without treating the whole side of my truck!
I'm using Sta-Bil in my lawn tractor, golf cart and chainsaw this Winter, maybe when I use up what's in the bottle I'll enlist it for diesel treatment!

·
Registered
207 Posts
You fellas make me grin and chuckle inside.

I've been using the Sta-bil container from almost day one. Dump the Sta-bil into a cleaned out 2 liter pop bottle and start enjoying the ease of the Sta-bil container. I had to chuckle when a few couldn't figure out how the use it. The same guys have done things to their trucks that I can only have a qualified tech do. I guess that's why I have ERIC around..... HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
John R said:
My question is do I need to run all the fuel Power treated fuel out before I change, or just start using it on my next fuel stop?

Thanks

John ~ I too have the same question. Not sure I heard the ans tho ~ seems to be thread/topic shift to measuring.

I was using a demulsifier and now want to use FPPF ~ not clear if there is a conflict (chemically). Normally, I wouldn't sweat it but w/these additives, a small volume seems to have a great effect. Start on a 2000mile pull tomorrow. Guess I'll play it safe and burn off a tank first

·
Registered
747 Posts
ShumDit said:
John R said:

Thanks

John ~ I too have the same question. Not sure I heard the ans tho ~ seems to be thread/topic shift to measuring.

I was using a demulsifier and now want to use FPPF ~ not clear if there is a conflict (chemically). Normally, I wouldn't sweat it but w/these additives, a small volume seems to have a great effect. Start on a 2000mile pull tomorrow. Guess I'll play it safe and burn off a tank first

I used the fppf from a truck stop in the area until my 405 and 409 order came in from George. Truck never missed a beat. I wouldn't worry about running out one before adding the other. I usually refill tank somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4. George and/or Kennedy may say that there could be a problem with mixing the two a little. Maybe they will chime in soon, but I experienced no problems in doing so.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Comparing FPPF & Primose are both apples as both are emulsifiers. The question, for the chemical talented amongst us would be (I believe) demulsifier + emulsifier = ?? (acidic, corrosive, alkaline, benign, offset?). Another way to state it: Apple + Orange = MadCow? My last chemistry lab was 38 yrs ago
Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was kind of hoping George Morrison would chime in on this one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
John R said:
Was kind of hoping George Morrison would chime in on this one.

Me too, John.

·
Registered
612 Posts
For the last couple of years, I have been using a small plastic baby bottle to measure the ounces of additive that I add to each tank. Keep the baby bottle in a box in the truck's bed (have a camper shell) in a zip-lock bag. The baby bottle is marked off so you to add up to 6 ounces at at time. If/when it needs to be replaced, is cheap to do so.

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts