Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking seriously ar a new 2020 CC, 3500 dually that is some distance away. I has nearly all of my preferred options except skid plates and high idle switch (which is an exterior option). My present truck of the same configuration came standard with skid plates (which I need) and no high idle switch exterior. Can anyone tell me about these options, part numbers, what the plates cover, and what the high idle option is. Previously the high idea was set on the DIC. Also, it lacks the camper from spring package. Inexpensive option, but probably a bummer to add after the fact. Anyone familiar? BTW, dealer is not good with these questions, thus I am asking this long- trusted community.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you truly “need“ skid plates, then the factory ones won’t be adequate anyway, so that doesn’t matter. The high-idle switch can be dealer installed, so that’s not an issue either.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I travel some Forest Service roads that can have very very high centers. Plates on my '07 were fine. I am surprised that they are no longer standard. Would also like to protect transmission pan. I take it that the high idle switch is in the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would take a look at your current skid plates and see how damaged they are, if they are then I would look into adding either the factory skid plate, or aftermarket ones if they’re available. It’s really not too surprising that the skid plates aren’t standard, most of these trucks are driven by people that don’t own a trailer, have never opened the tailgate, and the most off-reading they do is when they hit the gravel on the side of the road while they are texting. For the last generation chassis there was a GM heavy duty metal engine skid plate that was available to replace the factory Z71 package skid plate, not sure if that’s available for the new chassis or not, but might be worth looking into.

Yes, high idle is controlled using the CC.

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
With those kinds of road conditions, I would opt for some aftermarket plates or find a machine shop to fab up protection for the underside
(y)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Not to mention, the tranny pan is probably the most vulnerable thing under there, and even with the factory skid plate package there is no skidplate for the tranny.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 6 of 6 Posts