Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you wood workers, engineers, nuclear physicists.

What do you think would be stronger spanning horizontally 8'w x 4' tall. sheet of 1/2" plywood or 1" x 6" x 8' pine tongue and groove. It is only going to be adhered to a post at the ends of the 8'. When I say stronger, i mean a direct impact.

Do you think the tongue and groove would warp over the 8' span?

How feasible would it be to make tongue and groove out of a 1" x 6" x 16' pine board using a dado blade on a table saw or a router table/router (inexpensive one). What if it is 200 boards? Am I nuts to even think this would be a fun project?

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
I have a question for you wood workers, engineers, nuclear physicists.

What do you think would be stronger spanning horizontally 8'w x 4' tall. sheet of 1/2" plywood or 1" x 6" x 8' pine tongue and groove. It is only going to be adhered to a post at the ends of the 8'. When I say stronger, i mean a direct impact.

Do you think the tongue and groove would warp over the 8' span?

How feasible would it be to make tongue and groove out of a 1" x 6" x 16' pine board using a dado blade on a table saw or a router table/router (inexpensive one). What if it is 200 boards? Am I nuts to even think this would be a fun project?

I'd go with the plywood unless you are willing to glue the t&g together.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
diesail - Looking for best bang for the buck and also looks. Strength wise, plywood would work. If the tongue and groove will give me the strength it will be only about $300 more, look way better but a ton more work. 10 boards vs 1 sheet per every 8', plus I would have to create my own tongue and groove.

I can buy tongue and groove but it would be aprox $600 more. I have no problem creating the tongue and groove (if physically possible as a due it yourselfer) as there is no timeline on the project.

Just questioning strength and feasiblity creating the tongue and groove.

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Don't forget the cost of the router bits. A set is going to cost your $40 to $100 depending on quality. My thought was if you use the combination of the plywood and the strapping to give you strength, speed and cost effectiveness. In case I wasn't clear on what I meant by strapping here is an example on a wall

I would do a 1by at the top, bottom and one or two in the middle depending on how rigid you are wishing for

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am leaning towards the plywood option (easier and least expensive) or maybe buying 1x6 or 1x8 already tongue and groove if I come into some money. Diesail - I will probably go with your suggestion of the "strapping". Trying to keep cost down but it should be built right. This isn't my horse in the pic but I like the look of the single boards over plywood.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Funny you should say that and post that picture. I had been wondering what you where trying to do and then I saw your post about the pole barn lighting pop back up and talk of horses for it and it all made sense.

I agree, the tongue and groove does look better but as you said cost will be a lot higher.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I probably could have given more info. But if I said I was building a kick wall, I still would have to explain it.

Sometimes you just have to put on the brakes on the spending (maybe the Gov't will see this). It isn't just the building, it is the excavating, electrical inside, feeder wire, kick wall, light bulbs, etc. All just for a hobby...but sometimes a dress on a pig looks good. Lighting first, then will decide which way to go on the kick wall.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you go with tongue and grove make the entire kick board before attaching to poles.

Make up the board by sliding alternate 8ft boards by 4 ft.

_____________ _______________ ______________
_______________ _______________

and so on.

Hope this explains what I mean by alternate boards.

Use gorilla glue and clamp until glue sets up.

If you go with plywood use biscuits at the ends with gorilla glue. Also recommend 3/4 inch exterior plywood.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lavarock - I would build some support inbetween the posts for additional nailers and would probably go 16' boards and alternate. Less seams so it would look better.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Sure you don't mean shiplap for the pine boards?

An 8 foot span is too much for either, but plywood is definitely stronger than pine boards of similar and even a bit more thickness. But both will flex horribly over 8 feet.

Perspective, subfloor will be 3/4 inch plywood on 12 or 16 inch centered floor joists.

You may try 2x4 from post to post. See how bad that is, if it works. Maybe add vertical furring strips to the back of the 2x4s to reduce the twisting. But just nail up one and see how a 2 by does over 8 feet. You may discover it's not strong enough and then consider three spaced 2x4s from post to post covered with 5/8 or 3/4 plywood. Basically reinforced plywood panels from post to post.

·
Administrator
16,013 Posts
Maybe using a composite tongue and groove product

:confuzeld

·
Registered
456 Posts
If a horse gets cast they need something to put the hoof against, I built this one stall in 1997 and with plywood it would have been long gone, the flood of 2008 would definitely have done it in,

There is nothing to compare, the Labor was horrendous, I think we should have made the grooves wider, mine are 16x16.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Composite or 3/4" plywood is out. Cost would make it prohibitive (2 sides that are 104' and 2 that are 60'). I have determined that I am going to need furring strips/nailers if I go tongue and groove or plywood.

Being this is just my personal use I won't be starting young horses, getting to old for that. They also won't be in there running loose so I don't need to "over build" it.

Attached is a pic with a rough drawing what I am thinking. I will have a 2x6 green treat along the grade (nothing for a horse to get cast) and also prevents footing pushing against the outside steel.

MP - I am actually thinking tongue and groove not ship lap. There isn't anything that ties the shiplap together so if you get warping you could get gaps if not glued as there isnt a solid surface behind the boards.

I appreciate everyone's insite.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts