Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mike, Eric, is it hard on a built tranny to run a non-defueling tune as an everyday driver? Just curious if that was taken into consideration when the Transgo was developed or if other hard parts were at risk. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd like to know also. I'd love to run McRat 500 hp with NO defuel at all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
777 Posts
Transmission Defueling ?

so you are saying this : 05 lly d-max suncoast v with a 1057 converter edge juice 5/5 & boost stick set to not defuel on the edge - its going to kill the transmission ? im lost here ? i thought the whole purpose of a $5000.00 transmission was to be able to run some power through it ? any replies on this ?

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
the05hd;1601556; said:
so you are saying this : 05 lly d-max suncoast v with a 1057 converter edge juice 5/5 & boost stick set to not defuel on the edge - its going to kill the transmission ? im lost here ? i thought the whole purpose of a $5000.00 transmission was to be able to run some power through it ? any replies on this ?
Yes I have a comment. Your Suncoast, ATS 5,000.00 dollar transmission will do its job just fine untill some idiot with a new tool and no concept of how this piece of machinery operates screws it up because he like to push buttons. Be very carefull because you might wind up with a 5,000.00 boat anchor with no place to turn for help.:eek: :D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Transmission Defueling ?

mike l.;1601757; said:
yes i have a comment. Your suncoast, ats 5,000.00 dollar transmission will do its job just fine untill some idiot with a new tool and no concept of how this piece of machinery operates screws it up because he like to push buttons. Be very carefull because you might wind up with a 5,000.00 boat anchor with no place to turn for help.:eek: :d
so im kinds confused now .............. are you saying its not safe to run the above edge 5/5 with stick combo, set to no defuel then ? im just asking for my own information ? i never knew that a fully built transmission would have a problem with just a juice and stick combo for added power ? im still learning like everyone else. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I could be wrong, but the Edge defuel is for "additional" defueling. I.e. the factory computer will defuel appropriately for stock HP (15% wild guess), add 100 hp from edge and it will defuel more than normal (30% wild guess) to protect you trans. If you turn defueling off on edge at 5/5, you will still have normal defueling (15%) insted of 30%. I think PPE also has the option of defueling off, but operates the same way. This is just what I hear. As you can tell, I'm new to this stuff. So my opinion isn't worth too much at all. I just pulled the defueling numbers out of my rear and have no meaning except to convey my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
So do the EFI live tunes that are available "de-tune"?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
So then if you could totally shut the defuel off and went out and romped on it the tranny would slip between shifts somewhat from not relearning from the defueling. I could see where if your making big power and no defuel eventually you'll burn the clutches from slipping between shifts.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
The pressure for every upshift and downshift is pulsed on and off by the A and B trim solenoids working together. Defueling helps this process happen with minimal damage.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Transmission Defueling ?

mike l.;1601853; said:
the pressure for every upshift and downshift is pulsed on and off by the a and b trim solenoids working together. Defueling helps this process happen with minimal damage.
so are you saying to leave the defuel on for all shifts ? just asking. thanks :)

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
If you don't have defueling you can have some expensive repair bills as Mike L. said.

It would be like shifting a standard shift at WOT and power shifting the transmission without lifting the throttle, that is the same thing as you are doing with the Allison if you eliminate the defuel.

You can remove the fuel and reduce the TQ and still get a quick clean shift if done properly.

;)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax;1602005; said:
It would be like shifting a standard shift at WOT and power shifting the transmission without lifting the throttle
That's how you're supposed to power shift. Unless my definition is different than yours. :cool:

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
TommJr;1601820; said:
So do the EFI live tunes that are available "de-tune"?
Edge defueling is different from going into the programming and tuning the tables. There's a fine line between a tune that works and doesn't when fueling aggressively at or during a shift. The trick is to get the shift done quickly and aggressively without a sag (pause) yet not flare during the shift. Yours should shift pretty darn good on both of your tunes. If not we can always work to tweak it up a bit more.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Oh yeah, My truck shifts great. I was just wondering if the EFI live tunes "de-fuel" to somewhat protect my tranny.

I"m not as educated as the tranny guys here, so I still am a little confused about the "De-Fuel" process. I'm in the same boat as the05hd, the reason I spent the money on the tranny is to run the big power. If the tranny didn't hold up stock, and it doesn't hold up under big power with the upgrade, could I have saved money and just kept "refreshing" the stock parts?

I have an in-house mechanic so labor is not so Expensive:D

Just curious on how this works:)

Thanks for all the info.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
There is defuel in all OEM programming. this can be altered both directly and indirectly on the ECM programming. Most off the shelf tuners do nothing directly.

Edge apparently enhances this by pulling their added fuel, but truth be told, I never could tell a huge difference between the defueling off or on.

I wouldn't worry about your trans anytime soon. Running big tuning will eventualy wear even the most built transmission, but the stock trans would simply be wiped out quickly in most cases

·
Registered
538 Posts
So what is so weak with a SCIV trans? I mean, you can build a stout trans for a dodge or Ford which don't have defueling and they live at 500 hp+ when you're saying a SCIV ally without TM/defueling will quickly die. Enquiring minds want to know. I could be wrong about ford adn dodge defueling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts