Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bed cover for my truck and after doing a lot of reading Retrax is now at the top of my list. I had a great conversation with one of their support guys this afternoon. For the most part, he put me at ease with most of my concerns. He also told me about a local reseller who had a display, so I went and checked out the product. I'm convinced on the quality, although our DP vendors can probably do better on the price.

Only one concern remains. I've seen what the summer sun can do to things here in the desert. As the saying goes, "Phoenix isn't Hell, but you can see it from here." :eek: Are there any Retrax owners out there that have been through a summer or two in this kind of heat?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm looking for a bed cover for my truck and after doing a lot of reading Retrax is now at the top of my list. I had a great conversation with one of their support guys this afternoon. For the most part, he put me at ease with most of my concerns. He also told me about a local reseller who had a display, so I went and checked out the product. I'm convinced on the quality, although our DP vendors can probably do better on the price.

Only one concern remains. I've seen what the summer sun can do to things here in the desert. As the saying goes, "Phoenix isn't Hell, but you can see it from here." :eek: Are there any Retrax owners out there that have been through a summer or two in this kind of heat?
I'm in Palm Springs, so almost as hot in the summer. Only have one summer on mine, but it looks brand new. No problems with it at all. I got mine from MaxPower on this site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll send Max Power a PM to get some pricing info.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Mine's in great shape too here in Florida...pics in MyGarage...as they told me just "treat it like your hood/rest of your paint job" and life is good.
Enjoy!
:ro)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
oh, and there are OPTIONS! I got mine with the wider rails to totally cover my stake pockets and had the rails line-x'd at my dealer. you can also get the rails with the stake pockets cut out if you prefer...just ask them and it will be so!
:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mine only made it through three South Texas summers before I started to get some serious cracks in several of the lexan ribs. GMC2500HD discovered them for me!

I will give Retrax credit for taking care of me though. Even though I was outside the wirtten warranty period, they did completely rebuild my cover for me. Only thing it cost me was shipping it back to them. Only shipped the cover; not the rails or the cannister. They turned it around in a week.

I asked the Retrax guy if this was common, and he said they have no problems with 98 out of a hundred. Figures that I fell into that 2%.

Looks good now. I would go with them again after they way they took care of my problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Finally got mine today

Ordered one up last week from MaxPower and it arrived today. Took a little over an hour to put together and install since I was waiting on some help to put it on the truck then said to hell with it and put it up myself.

Instructions were very straight forward and easy. Only minor adjusting necessary and the instructions explained how to do that too.
Max was very easy to work with :hail: even though he was on vacation :beerchug: he answered my emails and coordinated with his company about me. Arrived a day before we thought it would.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Right Cover???????

I am also looking for a cover, I heard Retrax was a good cover, but
easy to break into. Can get into with a box cutter, I carry tools in my truck and I am looking for a good roll cover that would be very to get into.

Looking at a ROLL BAK??????? NOT SURE

06 LBZ EXT CAB, LONG BOX, 2WD

265 Michelin tires , LINE-X so far

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ordered one up last week from MaxPower and it arrived today. Took a little over an hour to put together and install since I was waiting on some help to put it on the truck then said to hell with it and put it up myself.

Instructions were very straight forward and easy. Only minor adjusting necessary and the instructions explained how to do that too.
Max was very easy to work with :hail: even though he was on vacation :beerchug: he answered my emails and coordinated with his company about me. Arrived a day before we thought it would.
So, are you getting ready for Powell? Nice looking rig. I have never seen another Retrax in Utah.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Powell is the reason for the truck. :ro) It's also the reason I got the bed cover since I don't want crap flying out the back on the way down or back from any of the lakes. Already been down overnight in January to work on one boat, and will head back down probably in April first time my schedule will allow.
Had the truck out today and noticed the cover moving in the breeze back there. I'd say the aerodynamics have changed, but I don't believe I'll see a 10% improvement in mileage like their paperwork says.
I can get a 7.5 gallon gas can standing up in the back under the cover. I think I'm going to like this cover.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You will love it. I haven't noticed any mileage increase either. It sure is nice to lock stuff up back there (covers, straps etc) when you go out on the lake for a week. I think we are shooting for the first part of April ourselves. One thing to do is wipe out the tracks good after a Powell trip. The sand gets in there just like it does the window channels.;)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
easy to break into. Can get into with a box cutter, I carry tools in my truck and I am looking for a good roll cover that would be very to get into.

Any box cover is easy to get into. Easier then a box cutter would be to jump on it, same with pace edwards, roll n lock, you name it.

A box cutter would be much more difficult then you might think. You need to go through two layers that are 1/2" or better apart. There are also aluminum rods running from side to side every 6" or so. These add strength and the bearings are mounted to the end.

I have yet see anyone try to get through one.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Just a thought, but if you're concerned about someone cutting through the cover, maybe you should look into Fold-A-Cover. They're pretty solid and you won't be getting through them with a box-cutter any time soon. I have this cover customized to fit my utility bed on my Dodge, and I may put one on my Chevy. I really don't know anything about Retrax, and I'm sure they're great, I just figured I'd throw in my experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I pull a 5th wheel and a roll up cover seems like it would be best.
I have been looking at covers on others trucks I see.
I saw a fold up cover the other day, it must have been old, but it sure
looked ruff. Retrax is very poplar on the Diesel place, it may be the best.
I have learned a lot since I started hanging around the diesel place.
this is a good place to resrearch things for my truck and to buy my
truck in the first place.

I will give retrax another look

I would like to see a retrax but can't find one in my area,

06 GMC EXT CAB, LONG BED, 2WD
LINE-X AND 265 MICHELIN TIRES Banks exhuast tip 4 to 5" (makes it go faster)

Jim,
Monroe, Michigan

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just an FYI. I'd done a bit of reading on the whole aerodynamics issue and the improvement of fuel mileage. What I found based on other peoples research was that the true aero improvements were found on the long bed pickups. Seems the short beds still had the tailgates tucked close enough (relatively) to the cab so that the resulting air flow didn't have the full wrap-around-your-vehicle-and-smash-into-your-barn-door tailgate effect that the long beds have.

I guess someone obsessed with mileage may see some ever so slight increase with a short bed driving strictly highway. But not me!

Still a satisfied Retrax (rolltopcover.com) owner! :D

Now, if only they came in custom match colors...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had both the Retrax and the Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit. The problem with the Jack Rabbit was, I pull a fifth wheel in the summer, so the cover is rolled up part of the time. The Jack Rabbit stores on top of itself, so after awhile, it showed some serious wear. No problem with the Retrax. Since it does not touch itself when rolled up, there is no sign of wear. I would have to vote for Retrax!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Only the best in Utah own a RETRAX. I'm loving mine more by the day. It is a must have. Anything can be broke in to if they want to bad enough.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Well said Brader! The idea is to make it more difficult to get than the next guy's stuff and make it outta-sight.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I got a Retrax coming, but I think I will end up getting a tool box that fits in the bed too. I carry lasers and other expensive equipment for work, I don't know if I trust the retrax alone. Anyone know of a tool box that will fit under the retrax off hand?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got a Retrax coming, but I think I will end up getting a tool box that fits in the bed too. I carry lasers and other expensive equipment for work, I don't know if I trust the retrax alone. Anyone know of a tool box that will fit under the retrax off hand?
I'm eventually going to get some of these. The 15 1/2" high ones will fit under:

http://www.aztrucks.com/Product.asp?product=381

The one at the tailgate of this truck would fit under also:

http://www.800toolbox.com/5thwheel.htm

This would work too:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307065_200307065

Last but not least:

http://www.amazingtruckaccessories.com/swingbox

1 - 20 of 35 Posts