Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a putnam xdr 16k receiver and after taking the stock hitch out and putting the new putnam on it doesnt quite seem to fit. Mainly there is a spring perch right in the way of being able to mount this hitch to the frame. Ive checked, and double checked to make sure i got the right hitch (part number 25189), checked back with the shop i bought it from, and the only thing i can come up with is that its for a longbed truck, but the website says it will fit both so im kinda up **** creek right now. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Maybe they just packaged the wrong hitch or something. I can post pics in a little while to be a bit more clear on what i am asking. Sure is a nice hitch though, i just cant use it yet.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
the spring hangers are a different distance from the rear bumper on lb vs sb. Some aftermarket hitches have a moveable bracket for sb vs lb.
The hitch mounts to the frame, and rear bumper, hence the problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok here some pics im pretty sure im not acting stupid on this one. And it definately didnt come with a moveable bracket. Looks like i may have to find a different hitch well see. Thanks for the reply christopherglenn

Attachments

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I have to agree with tpitt. I came up with 25182.
Check out this link to their hitches fit chart.
http://www.putnamhitch.com/images/07-08 APPLICATION GUIDE.xls

The only problem I had with my XDR was the spare tire not fitting back into the stock location. I do have an aftermarket rear PML diff cover, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Other than that, it fit perfect, looks strong, and installed in 15 minutes by myself. Now, if they could only make the spare tire fit! ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hhmm guess i had the wrong part number then. That is good to know. Thanks for the quick replies! This is why i like this place, people that know better than i. And to think when i asked if it could be the wrong part number i was told by 3 workers and the owner that 25189 was the right part number:rolleyes:, time to switch shops not manufacturers i think:eek:. Thanks again

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
You have a longbed hitch. Shortbed hitch is 25182,as the other posters have stated. The hitch I have has different mounting points than yours does.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ok here some pics im pretty sure im not acting stupid on this one. And it definately didnt come with a moveable bracket. Looks like i may have to find a different hitch well see. Thanks for the reply christopherglenn
The hitch I bought is straight across left to right where the receiver is welded to. Your cross bar bends in on both sides. Jerry.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, that's the wrong hitch.

The Putnam hitch for the SB you're looking for looks like this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hhmm guess i had the wrong part number then. That is good to know. Thanks for the quick replies! This is why i like this place, people that know better than i. And to think when i asked if it could be the wrong part number i was told by 3 workers and the owner that 25189 was the right part number:rolleyes:, time to switch shops not manufacturers i think:eek:. Thanks again
What is it with trying to find correct parts? I am looking for a hitch myself and I think I will need the 25189 model for my truck, but I can't really confirm.
After reading threads on this hitch here, and going the suggested sites, I am even more confused than before. The Putnam website lists the 25189 to fit all long and short bed. :( I went to PerformanceCenter, they don't list the hitch for my model. :( A part number search there finds it, but it's listed as 10,000 pounds not 15,000. Also no return guarantee, because it was not located through their parts locator. :(
So I think I'll give up unless there is somebody here that has that hitch installed on a 2004 long bed dually !

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts