Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lookin at your pics and saw the Allison fluid comparison. whats the story behind that. what were you compairing.

Good Lookin Truck!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Man that was some Time ago ....

Left to right =>Mobil synthetic,Transynd that was flushed from my tranny and Fresh Transynd ....

What started it was ...

I was told Transynd wasn't a true synthetic, This was proven false by the way ...

Anyway one day I pulled my stick to read fluid level and the fluid had a tinge of orange to it, thought it looked burnt .... So after being told a non truth I decided to flush and put in Mobil synthetic .... So I poured some of the used fluid in a clear container to look at the color and to my surprise it looked dark almost blackened ...

So for comparison I put new transynd and Mobil side by side ... Now I was told from someone at Allison that there is no color standard for Transynd when I asked about the orange tint ...... I was told it could be Cherry red to Orangish depending on the batch ... Only be concerned if it was black or green which the later he didn't think we could do as we couldn't create that kind of heat in our lil slush box ...

So mine was black and attributed to some extra tromping activities I was doing and the slow demise of my TC ... My clutches were blackened when we tore it down the first time for the Suncoast stage IV kit ,but I've seen worse, personally later on ...

Right now I'm running standard Mobil and thinking maybe switch to Transynd when I put my Mag-Hytec tranny pan on in the spring or sooner ... I had an excellent conversation with Joe Webb at Suncoast about synthetic fluid and he made a whole lot of sense this is why I'm on the fence as whether or not the added expense of synthetic verses the gains of 10 degrees or so drop in tempature .... In a high performance tranny do you really want extended drain intervals which is what synthetic is based on .... I guess I should wait and see what summer brings for temps before deciding but I've never been real patient ...

Mac

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Mackin

This is where i diagree with Joe. I have dropped tranmission temps on his tansmissions by at leat 10 deg. I have dropped temps on many by as much as 25 deg. I will use and recommend Mobil 1 atf to everyone. Yes i have used Castrol synthetic atf (which is TranSynd) and it turns yellow after a while, and it does not lubricate as well as Mobil 1. IMHO. As far as looking at oil test charts by manufacturers; well, it's like a dyno chart. Some of you guys claim monster horsepower on a dyno and would have a hard time breaking into the 13's. Ask yourself who was first with the synthetic, who does the most research on synthetics. Mobil wrote the book and hasn't looked back.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
NO, NO, NO! Mike, AMS wrote the book on synthetics and Mobil is just catching up to them. Check their website, they'll tell you all about it...

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Any one ever looked at the coefficient of friction between Transynd, Mobil 1, and Dex III? Things that make you go Hmmmm.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
no..elaborate why dontcha!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Your Right Mike any drop in temp is benifical in a auto as heat is the killer ....

I'm not anti synthetic and probably run Transynd as it is Allisons perferred juice when and if I change ... This may change if Trippin tells me something different .... I have to attribute the good looks of my guts to running syntheyic very early on I believe ....

Mac

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The reason MAC doesn't like running synthetic is it costs so much to replace it everytime it takes a dump

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I have seen the test results that Transgo has done on the different types of fluid and the temp. drops with synthetic. These were done in real everyday trucks under high hp and stress. The stuff works guys.

mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts