Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run Amsoil in my past 2 trucks. (350 chevys) I would use about 1/2 qt every 1500 miles. I dont know why. Will my dmax do this as well? Thanks in advance, Rod

·
Banned
525 Posts
I ran amsoil series 3000 Heavy Duty diesel oil in my old 01 for 160,000 miles and never lost a drop. When I changed the filters on my bypass, I topped it off to the top of the marks on the dipstick and 25,000 miles later it was still in the same spot.

When someone says their truck is using oil, it is not the oils fault. Some engines rings do not seat quite right, a seal may leak into a place that you may hardly notice it, the are hundreds of resons for that. Hell I had antifreeze come up missing about a quart every 2 weeks and could not find the leak, it took getting the truck up on the lift and pulling off the skid plates to see that there was about 2 inches of dried and gooey antifreeze on the aluminum tube that runs from the water pump to the block. A slow leak that could not be easilt found.

I would run any synthetic as opposed to dino oil. All synthetic is good, it is just that some are better than others.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, synthects are the way to go , and it is going to happen. I was just wondering why I would lose the 1/2 qt. I suspected rings, but never had any proof. Both trucks never left any hint of useing oil. Thanks, Rod

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
some people report the consumption of oil soon after changing. from what i have read it is the older oil that was left in the system being cleaned out and making its way passed the rings. my old 93 chev used to use a 1/2 qt every 3k. my 2000 chevy used 1-1.5 qts every 3k, drove me nuts. my 93 had synthetic blend and my 2k had conventional oil. according to gm my 2k was within the gm standards for oil consumption.

i dont think its the oil, its just the motor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am running amsoil 15w40 in summer, 5w40 right now and have only had to add a qt once between changes(in fla. on vac and had 5w in from mi.)

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
I use a quart every 5K, never fails, but I did just find a cold sart leak yesterday, it goes away when the engine warms up. Very small. Anyways, it has been like that for 30K now, not a drop more or less. Doesnt matter if I am towing hard or not at all. But I have the older 6.5TD, not a Dmax.

Tony

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used Delo for the first 20000 miles, changed the oil every 5k and never lost any. Switched to Amsoil 15-40 and lost 2 qts over 9K miles. If the trend continues, I'll be switching back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm close to installing the by pass and doing the oil change. Real courious as to wat this motor will do.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts