Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 07 Silverado HD diesel, 4wd. Purchased it to tow my 35-ft travel trailer. According to the specs, shouldn't have been a problem. But when I towed the trailer up the steep hills of the WV turnpike, I went into limp mode. A cheap analyzer I keep in the truck indicated it was a fuel flow problem.
Upon talking to a diesel garage, I took it to a mechanic that installed an additional fuel pump inline that solved my problem; even took it on a test drive down the Turnpike again, and it runs like a dream.
What type of a pump would you call this. I need to research it because I want to start changing my fuel filter, and I was told that the filter for this type of pump can replace a standard diesel fuel filter, and is one heck of a lot easier to change out.

Thank in advance.

Marc

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
The stock Duramax fuel system does not have a fuel pump. It relies on the CP3 to pull fuel from the tank.
Adding a lift pump will benefit the Duramax fuel system.
What brand of aftermarket lift pump did the mechanic install?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As above, it's called a "lift pump". And as above, what brand/model did the mechanic install? There are various configurations, and it sounded like your lift pump might include a filter, or filters? Some configurations add none, some add 1 filter, and some add 2 filters.

Before bypassing the OEM filter, be sure you still have (1) sufficient filtering, which can be confusing to understand the specs, and (2) water separation. The 2 filter lift pump systems usually have one for water separation and preliminary filtering, and then another for fine filtering. Also, before considering removal of the OEM filter head, you might need that hand pump on it some day.

For the age of your truck, you might consider a new OEM filter head (not from a dealer, but maybe a vendor on this site) which should costs less than $150 and include a new filter. Personally, I like the Racor coalescing filters, and I recommend using that in addition to any other filtering before it. Yes, it's a chore to replace it, but if there's filtering before the OEM filter, then you can go longer before changing it, since theoretically it only get filtered diesel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts