Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been lurking here for about 3 months trying to get some more information on mods and such for my dads 06 2500hd dmax.

Anyway, we've had the apparently common problem of the truck goin into limp home mod at 25mph at 2000rpm. Replaced filters, did it again 70miles later. We went to our fuel supplier, and they all use low sulfer diesel now.

They said waxing was the problem (im a gas guy at heart, so im tryin to pickup diesels as much as i can, so i know whats wrong etc.).

He reccomended Cetane Powerpack (i belive), my dad put in a couple of bottles, ran ti around and sure enough it started off in limp home, and after is sloshed around its back to normal again.

The question is however, with primrose reccomended on nicktane's site, cetane, etc. Whats the BEST additive for the 06's?

Yes ive done a search for waxing, and ive looked through the first 100 threads or so, and found some info, but there's like 14K threads to look through so i'd figure i would just ask it.

Thanks guys,

Dave

·
Registered
175 Posts
Howes Diesel treat for me has never let me down and it's been 0 or colder here for a while now. I am still running B20 in these temps with no problems.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so in theory, could we just pump a gallon of kerosene in and everything would work fine? or is it all blended like most stuff is with synthetics and such?

Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
s3gulit;1587798; said:
so in theory, could we just pump a gallon of kerosene in and everything would work fine? or is it all blended like most stuff is with synthetics and such?

Dave
yeah, you could do that.. the thing is, when fuel is refined, refiners end up with all of these waste products.. ( that's why the bottle says "contains petroleum distillates" ).. rather than hazmat the stuff, they sell it to companies called "converters".. STP is the biggest one.. so they put it in a pretty bottle, write whatever claims they want on the label, and sell it to the end user..

now to be fair, they are good at being an anti -gel, ( because they are predominantley kerosene )but you have to remember that combustion temps, and injector temps ( from the heat build up from the injected fuel creating friction ) do nasty things to petroleum based products, so I doubt they are really doing anything in the combustion chamber and upper cylinder besides turning to goo.

Also, when you subject petroleum to these temps, whatever special ingredients that might be in there will turn to cinders and leave deposits.. the carrier product simply can't "hang on" to anything..

if you want to have fun, take some of your favorite additive outside.. pour some in the bottom of a pop can, where the numbers are stamped on it..

first thing, see if the numbers come off..if you are buying a supposed detergent, they should come right off.. after all, heavy carbon in your engine is tougher to clean out than these stamped numbers.. they're just ink... then go ahead and light it.. you'll be awhile, but if it's a cetane improver, it should light right up, right? then watch it burn.. please don't breathe the smoke.. look what's left over when it's done... how can something like that be an "emissions improver"?

When it cools off, find a cigarette butt, and stick it in that gooey mess.. notice it becomes a tar.. what happens when you shut your truck off with that stuff in there.. think it'll affect your injector tips?

Schaeffers and Power service put on the best smoke shows, and I like the tar that shaeffers leaves behind.. of course, I've done this with seafoam, and whoever else you can think of.

just remember - the stuff costs only five bucks a bottle for a reason..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts