Diesel Place banner

Question about my 5500's engine

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GMCT8500Tandem 
For some reason the Japanese have been very slow to embrace synthetics. I've been told it has nothing to do with the oil itself, but rather their Engineers are afraid that if they do endorse the synthetics, the truck operators would not do the other maintenence that the the trucks need every 7,500 miles, like grease, checking brakes, belts, hoses, etc. They believe that most operators (especially the Americans) would just run the trucks until 15,000 or so and check everything when they change the oil.

I can't say I blame them, the Engineers are probably right. We'd run the darn things until some ungodly mileage before touching the trucks (because the synthetics would let us) and when something broke because we did maintain it properly, we scream warranty! Been there seen it happen many times.

The synthetic oils won't hurt anything as long as you don't negelect everything else. The differentials already run synthetics and there is a option for synthetics in the Allison transmission as well on the US build products.

It sounds like water to me. You might want to check the diff. vent and make sure everything looks OK. Some of them, (I don't remember the T/F-series specifically) have a small cap on top of the vent that could come off if something hit it and then it would allow water intrusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.