Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought my 05 GMC it came with a Hypertech power programmer III. Well it does not work and the guy i got my truck from said he would buy me a new one. With that said i saw in one of my newer diesel mags that Hypertech has came out with a newer programmmer called Max energy. My question is has any body traded out there Hypertech III for the new one and did you like it. WIll i gain anything going to the new one? I figured i would just ask before i had him buy me one. thanks Mopar65:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got the following response from Hypertech on the differences between the Power Programmer III and the Max Energy:

"The Max Energy replaces the Programmer and has the exact same Power Tuning to increase power and other options, rev and speed limiter, tire calibration etc. The Max is smaller in design and is internet updateable."

So seems the only real advantage would be the internet updateable feature.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the help guys. I got the hypertech working to day. You will never guess what was wrong with it (nothing). This whole time i was going by what my friend was saying to me. I had to go to the dealer ship to day to pick up my truck today. (speedo quit on me ).So while i was there i got the hypertech and hooked it up to my truck just to see if it would come on or anything.At the time i did not have the book with me. But when i frist pluged it in it would not come on or anything. So i started tuching buttons.I held down the start button for acouple of seconds and the programmer came on. So i was pretty sure that the programmer was working ok. So i went to the other truck that it was down loaded to and checked out the cig fuse. I pulled it out and it checked fine. so i put the fuse back in and tryed the programmer again.I had to hold down on the start button longer but the hypertech finale came on.So i got the other truck reprogrammed to stock and programmed my truck to level 3. so i am happy that it works. but i have some questions now. My hypertech has a P/N of 30029 that says 2001-2005 Duramax 6.6L. But when you turn it on it says for 01-04 Duramax 6.6L turbo diesel. So is this the right box programmer for my truck or not? Does the gm duramax diesel trucks with the auto tranny have traction control? It asked me that when i was programming my truck. I was not for sure so i hit the no key. After i programed my truck now my tranyy shifts funny. Is this normal?? I am not trying to bash the Hypertech but so far i am not really impressed with it. if it is soposed to have a +96 HP increase over stock. My truck allmost seemed as fast stock. I do not know , I just thought it would just roast the tires of now. I say that because i tryed a couple of take offs with it to see how it would run and powerbrakeing it.It seemed as soon as the tires started spining and i let off the brake and go wot the tranny would shift straight to second gear. I do not know maybe i am just not used to it yet. the truck is stock except the hypertech. Allso what setting do you recomed for best fuel milage. Thanks so much for the help Mopar65:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 04.5 lly and have been running the hypertech 30029 about a year .I have tried all 3 levels . Level 1 small boost in power (but noticable) 1-2mpgs better , level 2 definitly morepower,best for towing as far as egts, level 3 way more power, same mpgs as stock . I also was unsure about the traction control option so i chose no too . Im running toyo 285-70-17 on h2s and can roast'em with alittle boost launch ! Try tow/haul mode when tring burnout . I noticed my tranny shifted different on 2 vs 3.Over all i like the programmer, egts get hot faster on 3 , especially when towing .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to put Hummer H2 wheels on my truck with eather Toyo open country A/T tires or BFG TA KO tires on. these are the chrome H2 wheels. So do you have a pick of your truck. I would like to see a pick of it.
On the hypertech i guess i should read the stickes more. becasue the tranny is starting to shift better. But i did not not know that these trannys had to relearn when you add more power to them. i guess that is what i get for not reading. I do not have any guages for my truck yet. So i am going to reporgram my truck down to setting 2. On setting 3 on a 80 mile drive and setting the cruise to 65 i got a hand caluate of 16.6 mpg. but there was a cross wind on the trip going to and back. so i might not of got a real good test for fuel milage. My dash said i was getting a best of 19.8 so i guess that is wrong. lol thanks again Mopar65

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mopar65,

Hey I got your PM, but was wondering what Stage you're running. The more I talk to people the more I realize that we could do a better job explaining the diffrences between stages 1, 2, & 3. Also as I see you've already discovered the transmission will have to learn how to shift with the new power and should conuntine to improve until it is shifting perfectly. That being said if you drive a 1000 miles the exact same way the first time the transmission experinces a new shift it will likley shift funny. If you have anymore questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to put Hummer H2 wheels on my truck with eather Toyo open country A/T tires or BFG TA KO tires on. these are the chrome H2 wheels. So do you have a pick of your truck. I would like to see a pick of it.
On the hypertech i guess i should read the stickes more. becasue the tranny is starting to shift better. But i did not not know that these trannys had to relearn when you add more power to them. i guess that is what i get for not reading. I do not have any guages for my truck yet. So i am going to reporgram my truck down to setting 2. On setting 3 on a 80 mile drive and setting the cruise to 65 i got a hand caluate of 16.6 mpg. but there was a cross wind on the trip going to and back. so i might not of got a real good test for fuel milage. My dash said i was getting a best of 19.8 so i guess that is wrong. lol thanks again Mopar65

1 - 8 of 8 Posts