Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have been reading the problems that some of you all have had with the glow plugs. I have just purchased my 06 D-MAX three weeks ago and this is my first diesel to own. When I purchased the truck the sales man told me that unlike the other diesels, you do not have to wait on a start up. You can just start the engine and go. Of course I know that on cold weather you usually let it warm up. But upon reading your forums you all talk about waiting for the glow plug light to turn off. I have been starting my truck just like a gasser, startup and go. So here are my dumb question: Is it wrong for me to start my diesel without waiting for the glow plug light to turn on then off? Should I turn the key on and wait for the glow light to go off then start the engine? Any advice on this matter would be helpful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
:confused: I have been reading the problems that some of you all have had with the glow plugs. I have just purchased my 06 D-MAX three weeks ago and this is my first diesel to own. When I purchased the truck the sales man told me that unlike the other diesels, you do not have to wait on a start up. You can just start the engine and go. Of course I know that on cold weather you usually let it warm up. But upon reading your forums you all talk about waiting for the glow plug light to turn off. I have been starting my truck just like a gasser, startup and go. So here are my dumb question: Is it wrong for me to start my diesel without waiting for the glow plug light to turn on then off? Should I turn the key on and wait for the glow light to go off then start the engine? Any advice on this matter would be helpful.
With you being in Houston, your glow plug light may never come on, and if it does its only on for about a second. I am in Ft. Worth and thats the way mine works, so if you only pause for a second i dont think you will hurt anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
plugs

trtruck, You gotta be doing it right. If those plugs get hot in 1.5 sec and 2 sec is the limet and melt at 3 sec ,One should not hesetate at all. I cant believe GM would put such a system in, where so much $$ damage is at stake, in a mater of a 2 second hesetation. They better get on that or they'll be rowing there boat in furds wake.

·
Registered
125 Posts
trtruck, You gotta be doing it right. If those plugs get hot in 1.5 sec and 2 sec is the limet and melt at 3 sec ,One should not hesetate at all. I cant believe GM would put such a system in, where so much $$ damage is at stake, in a mater of a 2 second hesetation. They better get on that or they'll be rowing there boat in furds wake.
Don't know where you are located or what kind of truck you drive, you need to complete your signature, but in Ft worth its rare that its below 45 degrees and most of the time its alot warmer than that. Some times my glow plug light does not even come on but if it does its not but for about a second or so. I think it that way on all the 06 trucks but it depends on how cold it is as to the amount of time they are on. Surely gm has some type of safety device to keep those things from burning up if someone were to leave there ignition on by accident at some point as when turning it on when starting the vehicle or listening to the radio with the ignition on instead of turning it to accessory power.

·
Registered
498 Posts
A little colder here in Wisconsin. In winter it takes about 6 to 7 seconds any time below 32. I always wait for it to go out before starting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glow Plug Question

MRTruck,
That was one of the improvements with the '06 LBZ's...quicker starts with the improved glow plugs and intake air heating element. I am in southeastern PA and our winters are not as cold as 2006sierra's but so far this winter, I just get in and crank her up. The most I have seen is a little puff of white exhaust smoke which clears up immediately. I do let it warm up for anywhere from 10-15 minutes, but seeing as you are in a warmer climate you probably won't have to worry about any cold weather diesel issues.

Good luck with the new truck, I love mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas for all the input. I wanted to be sure that I was not doing anything wrong and if so, I wanted to correct it before I messed up the truck. Now I feel better and can enjoy the truck without worrying about the glow plugs as much. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks fellas for all the input. I wanted to be sure that I was not doing anything wrong and if so, I wanted to correct it before I messed up the truck. Now I feel better and can enjoy the truck without worrying about the glow plugs as much. ;)
Funny thing is...you'll get used to waiting. More often than not, I'll get in my wifes Yukin turn the key and wait...it's just habit now to turn the key, and reach for the seat belt, then start the truck. She has to remind me most times that her car "ain't no stinkin' diesel"...her words, not mine.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
A little colder here in Wisconsin. In winter it takes about 6 to 7 seconds any time below 32. I always wait for it to go out before starting.
Where I live in Michigan I've seen it down to +10*F and my glow plug light has NEVER gone longer that 3 seconds. I've never plugged the block heater and have not installed the winter front. My cold starts have always been almost instantaneous and idle is great.

·
Registered
565 Posts
hmm ... 6-7 sec's seems like a long time for an '06 with the new glow plugs, in any temperature. Since I just went through this glow plug problem, I would be a little skepticle about this operating properly.

You have to know, I'm a little gun shy at the moment. I guess you have to do what you think is right.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
hmm ... 6-7 sec's seems like a long time for an '06 with the new glow plugs, in any temperature. Since I just went through this glow plug problem, I would be a little skepticle about this operating properly.

You have to know, I'm a little gun shy at the moment. I guess you have to do what you think is right.
He does have a LLY, but still i would think it woudn't take that long..:confused:

Also, Mr Truck, i live in tennessee, if i park my truck out of the gararge at night, temps vary around 40F here, and my light stays on for at least 3 secs, in the garage at 60 F at least 2 secs....But during the day, it never comes on..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
All '06s have the same glow plugs and controllers. They should take the same amount of time to heat up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Start ups

Well if your 06 is a LLY than the start up time is between 4-8 seconds. While on the other hand if your 06 is a LBZ than the start up time should be no longer than 5 seconds. This is due to the new starting grid, higher fuel injection pressure, and lower compression ratio that GM has implimented on the LBZ DURAMAX DIESEL. But no matter what year the diesel is, just wait until the "WAIT TO START" icon is turned off. As recomended by the automaker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well if your 06 is a LLY than the start up time is between 4-8 seconds. While on the other hand if your 06 is a LBZ than the start up time should be no longer than 5 seconds. This is due to the new starting grid, higher fuel injection pressure, and lower compression ratio that GM has implimented on the LBZ DURAMAX DIESEL. But no matter what year the diesel is, just wait until the "WAIT TO START" icon is turned off. As recomended by the automaker. Hope this helps.
Wrong, they are the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts