Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up my new LBZ in the next few days. Just called the local dealer and they have 3 on the car hauler on their way here and 1 is EXACTLY the one I want.
My question is, I have a piece of machinery I'd like to pick up in San Diego and bring it back here about (300 miles round trip). Its total weight with the trailer is about 7,000 lbs. Is it safe to pull this much weight before or during the break in process? will this hurt the truck in any way long term?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Owners maual says do not tow first 500 miles. After that go for it:ro) .

·
Registered
812 Posts
I started towing with my 2002 F350 the minute I got it. Had a 94 Chevy 2500 gasser and the driver side front wheel came out on the highway while towing. Luckily I had it under control and no one got hurt, but my tire flew in front of me and hit a van. Some damage done to that, but insurance took care of that (they were ok). People who put on my tire were to blame. I had no other decision, but to tow because I needed a truck to tow with. 80k miles later, still no problems. This was of course in 2002.

If you can, play it safe and wait for the 500 miles,unless you don't have any other vehicle to tow with.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm looking to pick up my new LBZ in the next few days. Just called the local dealer and they have 3 on the car hauler on their way here and 1 is EXACTLY the one I want.
My question is, I have a piece of machinery I'd like to pick up in San Diego and bring it back here about (300 miles round trip). Its total weight with the trailer is about 7,000 lbs. Is it safe to pull this much weight before or during the break in process? will this hurt the truck in any way long term?
If I read your post right you will be towing an empty trailer for 150 miles and a light load (7000lbs) back 150 miles. Just vary your speed (RPM's). I would run it in the drive mode with just the trailer and use the tow/haul mode on the return trip. Make sure your coolant level is at the full line before you take off on your trip. It took three quarts of coolant to get mine full in the first 25 miles. I doubt 7,000lbs is what GM had in mind when they say don't tow a load for the first 500 miles, 15,000lbs probably is what they call a load.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I read your post right you will be towing an empty trailer for 150 miles and a light load (7000lbs) back 150 miles. Just vary your speed (RPM's). I would run it in the drive mode with just the trailer and use the tow/haul mode on the return trip. Make sure your coolant level is at the full line before you take off on your trip. It took three quarts of coolant to get mine full in the first 25 miles. I doubt 7,000lbs is what GM had in mind when they say don't tow a load for the first 500 miles, 15,000lbs probably is what they call a load.
Thats what I was thinkin, 7,000 lbs isn't THAT much. Looks like I'll be picking up the truck on Thursday, I'll try and get my hands on or borrow someones truck, but if not, looks like I'll be puttin the new truck to work right away.
Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just my $.02...

I'd agree that puliing a 7k# load 150 miles shouldn't be a big deal. The recommendation about varying engine speed is a valid suggestion. I did something like that during my breaking-in period; I used the 'manual' mode feature on the Allison to operate the tranny at lower gear ratios (higher engine speeds).In addition, I also varied my vehicle speeds throughout the trips to make for as wide as possible (and reasonable) engine operating speeds. Keep a close eye on temps and levels of coolant and transmission fluids. Same for engine oil. Once your trip is complete, this would be an excellent time to change out your rear differential oil. Ditto for the engine oil. Might look at changing the transmission's external filter, too. Can't hurt.

CWB

·
Registered
188 Posts
With about 200 miles on my truck I pulled 6K about 40 miles then my torque convertor started leaking. I am sure it would have gone bad eventually but I think the added strain helped it give out sooner.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The question you need to be asking yourself is how comforable are you with ignoring what the manual says. I agree 7K isn't much but my manual said NO pulling. So I am taking it easy for a while with no pulling till I get the miles up on it a bit. Just my .02 cents worth

·
Registered
175 Posts
From what I have read on this forum, you could easily pull this load. THere a post that said ROadway is going to pull semi-trailers with GM Duramax trucks for in-town hauling. That is about 25,000 of trailer. 7000 shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Accerate going uphill and decelerate going down hill, that'll break it in good and hard. Change the oil when you get home.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also towed the day after taking delivery, had no choice had to move camper.
Just understand that manufactures are always looking to avoid paying warranty claims for any reason. That was the reason for my earlier post.
Had engine manufacturer tell me they would deny warranty if any filters other than oem was used because they are not made to thier specs. if you are worried about maintaining warranty follow the owners maual.
Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had my DMAX one day from the dealer. 50 city miles on the OD, then I had to take the old trailer to the dealer for a swap (bought a new one). The dealer was in the next city about 100 miles up the road. The old trailer was a 24' at 4000lbs. The new unit is 30' and has a GVW of 9920lbs. The truck took it on the chin and stood up tall. Gas mileage was poor, but that was to be expected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts