Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partner, I appreciate the previous advice you had responded with on my injector balance rate question, and being that you strike me as pretty straightforward on this topic, I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me your take on this scenario?

I had posted my balance rates, "how bad are these inj. rates?" If you recall, #6 was 15, misfire code as well. Others were well above +4, through the roof in drive. The dealer checked the rates and concurred the injectors were bad and put the truck into service status. 5 days, no injectors, infinite back order, blah, blah, standard nonsense. I have the truck back now with the original injectors. Here is my question to you: When I took possesion of my truck, I filled the tank and put in 1.5 quarts of Yamalube synthetic 2 stroke oil. I have done this for about two weeks now. Day 2, the truck stopped smoking, mileage picked up, and power is excellent. Today I went and had the rates checked in high hopes, they were all near 0.1 in neutral, and 1.5 or less in drive. I'm guessing the ULSD is the culprit here, and not the injectors themselves. Your opinion please?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.
The local Shell station near my house switched to ULSD and I myself seem to have balance rate issues. I have tried a quart of ATF here and there and had good response on the rates. Its funny you used Yamalube synthetic 2 stroke oil, because I had the same stuff laying around and poured in a quart. Unfortunatley later that day my balance rates went through the roof and almost left me stranded in Manheim,PA about a month ago.

Last night I put 5 Gal into get me to my house and filled it up the rest of the way this morning. Just after leaving the station my truck lost all power, started smoking and nearly left me on the side of the road. No codes or warning. I made it home in 4low (barely) and foung my #2 and #7 rates at 15. Tomorrow I will be inspecting it to see if its wiring or injector failure.

I am a fan of additives. Put in whatever works. Personally I am going to try to limit the amount of ULSD I put in from now on, its seems to haunt me with annoying injector rates and a list of other things. If the stealer is going to replace your injectors then get it done. But I would keep adding something to assist lubrication with USLD.

Sorry for the long reply. I hop it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts