Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bare with me. Looking to put a CB in my truck but i've never had one. What type of range should i expect? was planning on mounting antenna on driver's side of hood as many have. truck is an 03 and i'd like it to fit in the cubby above the cupholder and come in black. price isn't a huge issue.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Range has many variables. If you are asking about a stock unit on average terrain, 3 to 6 miles for a mobile with the type of antenna you are looking at. Things that help range: keep the coax short as possible, don't loop extra coax, and SWR match the antenna to the radio. Antenna position also affects range and the side fender mount is ok but not the best place. The best place would actually be on top of the roof, but we're kind of splitting hairs. Terrain has a major effect on range. Radio waves don't travel well through mountains, etc,. Radio traffic also affects range: if there's a lot of users on the air, it's difficult to hear transmissions because everyone is "walking over" each other.

You can greatly increase transmitting range by adding a linear amplifier (which is not legal, but many people have them anyway). Amps run anywhere from 100 watts to 1000 (in rare cases more).

Hope this helps. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Cobra has a fairly good reputation for their radios. I would like to pick up a model 29 with all the bells and whistles. However, it's a pretty big unit and I haven't seen an install of one that I liked.

I am seriously considering their model 18 WX ST. It should fit exactly where you are thinking about (it is 7x1.9x6.5 inches) and has a front firing speaker which is important for an in-dash install.

You can pick up a radio from a big-retailer, or you can go to a CB specialty shop. I would go with a specialty shop as most of them will offer to go inside the unit and "tune" it before shipping it out. Is it going to be like having a big linear amp? No, but it will help get the most out of the base unit.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I like the Francis with the fender mount, they are small in diameter and work excellent.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wilson 5000 !!!! Best one I have used yet and it will out do most dual antenna setups

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is a custom bracket, I don't know who makes it. I have one on each truck that makes for a very clean look, lots of shops have them. I have this radio: http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=5&id=1 It mounts anywhere you hang it. As far as antennas, you get what you pay for. Wilson, Francis, all of the big names make good ones. Don't waste your money on the cheap junk thats out there, you'll just have to buy it again.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much extra range will an amp give me? are they big?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Diesel Power;1569002; said:
how much extra range will an amp give me? are they big?
I used to hear a guy talking once and a while found out he was running an amp I would guess I was 20mi away one time. There not very big about the size of the Bose amp in some cases. I have always liked the Wilson antenna's very good but if you going with the hood mount,Francis work good too.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so is taller better? what about mounting it on the front of the bed behind the cab? would a taller one there yield better range? does 2 antenna's work better than one?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ultimately on a pickup/car for maximum performance you want to mount you antenna at the tallest point closest to the center of the vehicle.
two antennas will work just as good as one on a pickup

Don't forget to tune your SWR or you will not have good range at all, not to mention short radio life

Any doubts check out Firestick's Site they have plenty of Tech Files -----> Firestick.com

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Two antenna will only give real gains if they are more than 8' apart - pretty tuff to do on a pickup truck.

A longer antenna will require fewer turnings to get tuned into the CB band (11 meters, roughly 36' per wave), so should/could be more efficient.

If you plan to park on top of a hill and try to talk long-distance to others with amps, then look into one. If you plan to stay in touch with the traffic around you, they can cause a problem - it's called an "alligator" rig; all mouth, no ears. I have run into truckers that I cannot understand (they overpower my CB) until I am so far from them that they can no longer hear me....

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've got very good results from a wilson 1000 magnet mount, mounted on the roof just bout 6 inches ahead of the third brake light an you can run the cable thru the third brake light openin'.... you just have to trim a lil off the top of the light with a diegrinder an then use a lil weatherstrip adhesive around the cable when you put the light back in to keep it weather tight. I also ran a cobra 29 NW for the last 9 years an the only thing I've done to it is replace the backlight an a power mic. the wilson 1000 magnet mount has lasted over 6 year with no problems

I also have a identical radio in my big truck an run a single wilson 5000 an they both are hard to beat for range. both have a chip outta a galaxy radio in um to up the power

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The firestick is a very good antenna, as is the K40. I have used both and I lked the K40 a little better. It is better suited for roof mounting or trunk lip mounting (on a car). Plus, it has a quick-twist disconnect and you can easily remove it from the mount and slip it behind the seat. Trouble is, if you forget to remove it, it makes it real easy to steal (I sure do miss mine). The firestick is better for bumper or west coast style mirror mounting, and is available in several lengths IIRC.

As far as the best place to mount, The sheet metal in your vehicle will act as a directional pointer. If it is rear bumper mounted, you will be directing more signal forward and have a greater range infront of you. If you mout it on the roof (usually the best place), it will give you a stronger signal in front and to the rear than from side to side. If it is hood mounted, it will actually give a better signal to the rear than to the front.

As minisub mentioned earlier, Amps are really an obnoxious piece of equipment and they aren't legal. If you're not using one, you can't talk to anyone who is because you cannot understand them. When you get far enough away to understand them, they can't hear you. Plus, if you are near someone using one on another channel, they will "bleed" over on adjoining channels and cause interference. People using amps are basically saying, "I really don't care whether or not you want to talk, I just want you to to hear me! And I don't care what channel you're on."

Just my

·
Registered
184 Posts
CB Antena

I run a cobra 29ltd classic tuned and tweeked with a wilson 1000 set on side of bed just behind my tool box. I have never had any problems with this set up and talk pretty good and even better when I had my 250watt kicker on it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with the wilson antennas or k 40 I have used both.I once talked to a guy in knoxville TN while in my old work van with my rci 2950 and a k30 ( mini k40) from in jersey. just one of those nights where the " skip" was in my favor. now i'm using a uniden grant radio that I need to install in this truck. its a little big for perminent mounting though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have ran about all mentioned

all are good antennas.

I currently run dual firesticks. One thin about duals, they are harder to tune properly

·
Registered
437 Posts
My CB guy told me that the firestick was best suited for tuning and talking on one channel. Set it up on 19 and it works great but if you change channels much it lacks a little in performance. If you talk on a lot of different channels or have a Galaxy/Connex with different ranges a Wilson 2000/5000 is better for using a wide range of channels. I personally don't think you'll notice the difference but that is what I was told.

·
Registered
352 Posts
tinman22;1589717; said:
I agree with the wilson antennas or k 40 I have used both.I once talked to a guy in knoxville TN while in my old work van with my rci 2950 and a k30 ( mini k40) from in jersey. just one of those nights where the " skip" was in my favor. now i'm using a uniden grant radio that I need to install in this truck. its a little big for perminent mounting though.
I also have a President Grant. If you find a place to mount it in your truck please let me know. They are big radios but "talk" like nothing else.

Big Max

·
Registered
798 Posts
oooh a PRESIDENT grant? or a uniden? if its a president hold on to that one. it should have the 848 chip in it which is good for one hundred and fifty something channels. I have an old president washington here at home that I havent used in several years, I managed to talk to a guy in england once from my house. amazing what 12 watts on side band can let ya do when conditions are good

·
Registered
352 Posts
tinman22;1590757; said:
oooh a PRESIDENT grant? or a uniden? if its a president hold on to that one. it should have the 848 chip in it which is good for one hundred and fifty something channels. I have an old president washington here at home that I havent used in several years, I managed to talk to a guy in england once from my house. amazing what 12 watts on side band can let ya do when conditions are good
It's a President Grant and made by Uniden I thought. When I bought it I had it opened up and peaked. It has 40 channels above and 40 below the normal 1 to 40. The tuner is more of a slider on AM and the side band with the clarifer unlocked. Back in the day I had it running through a 100 watt amplifier. When I keyed up the volt meter in my old Pontiac would dive to the negative side and lights would dim.:D

Max

1 - 20 of 48 Posts