Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys notice when straight and level that the engines rattles a helluva lot, then if you go up a hill it quiets right up...weird, didnt do this as much stock, the nouse is akin to that of the pilot injection turning off at high cruising speeds. I guess this is normal for quad tuners..it sounds like the engine is coming apart..LOL

·
Registered
262 Posts
Are you running v1.20?

The only tune that rattles at all on my truck is the 215. The 110 and 135 sound like stock (which sucks IMO, I hate the way a stock Duramax sounds, but to each their own). I do like the low-end of the new 110 and 135 tunes, although I typically run the 215 tune (never know what you are going to come across -- especially in the Motor City -- everything is fast here).

It does rattle less if there is a load on it. Just keep the pedal to the floor where it belongs -- and you'll never hear any rattle.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the latest 1.20 11 tune, and it only rattles under VERY light throttle settings typically when letting off from a climb, like at the crest of a hill..etc when leaving the cruise on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On mine with version 1.20 when I set my cruise control at 75mph with the 70hp tune loaded it almost sounds like a ford at a steady cruise. With a little accelleration it goes away.

Steve

·
Registered
415 Posts
Joe, How do you hold that 215 with a zf??? My DMF hates the 135. I think my flywheel would come through the floor if I ran that much HP

·
Registered
262 Posts
Gray Max said:
Joe, How do you hold that 215 with a zf??? My DMF hates the 135. I think my flywheel would come through the floor if I ran that much HP

Aftermarket (solid) flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate from CPMac.

The stock flywheel is definitely the weak link. The transmission and the rest of the drivetrain seem to be very strong.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have the same rattle at cruise speeds with the 215 Quad. Mine also quitens when I press the pedal. Time to try the low settings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That rattle seems to be a side effect of the tuning. According to one of Quad's post it looses power when he quiets it down. My only concern would be the longevity impact of running too much timing..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts