Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe this is a rare occurence..but it doesn't appear that way. I've called Quad Diesel Performance three times in the past two weeks and left three messages for tech support and NOBODY ever returns my call. Is this the norm for them? I beginning to think I should have bought an Edge...hmmm I still have about 4 business days left before my 30 day return window is up....... Edited by: bubz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Keep in mind that the last two weeks have been holidays (read: vacations, etc). I wouldn't sweat it based on my limited experience with them thus far... They've been pretty good.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bubz,

I've spoken with Jeremy and Sarah @ Quadzilla myself in the past week, so they are in. As Joe said they may have been short staffed during the Xmas break, so I'd give them a break.

All in all, I've had good customer service from them. Just remember they have a small staff, so 1 or 2 on vacation can easily overwhelm a skeleton staff.

Doug

·
Banned
328 Posts
Let me try and help you here. We have been short staffed, but that shouldn't matter. We had a couple new people start, but they may not have all then answers yet.

If you want you can message me as well. I would like to know your name first so I can find out why no one called you back.

In the meantime lets fix your problem or answer you question so fire away.

Quad

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Quad...from what I have heard you customer service is second to none...I'm sure that my experiences are just fluke. On to my problem(s):

My first name is Jeff..916 area code on my number, if that helps you identify me a little better.

Okay, I bought my tuner (110hp version) directly from you about 7-10 days before Christmas..I'm going to give you the long version, just so you know the history. When I ordered it through Jeremy, I asked about towing my 10,000lb trailer in the 70hp mode with no other mods...he said no problem just watch the EGT. I immediately installed the 90hp tune....transmission shifts VERY poorly while relearning the correct shift pattern. No problem, I can deal with this. I then install an SPA DG211 boost/pyro setup (thermocouple in passenger side exhaust manifold). My temps with no trailer run around 800-900 at 70mph on flat ground and around 1000-1100 on hills with no trailer. Oh, and my DIC fuel economy is complete whacked out (which I kind of expected). I install the 110hp tune just to play, to my surprise my turck feels like it is stock, no smoke..no power..nothing.

Problem number one --> I installed the 110hp tune, it has absolutely NO POWER, runs like stock, put it back to 70 oir 90 and it runs like a raped ape.

My wife and I had a trip planned for the first week in January to visit my nephew in Idaho...taking our 10,000 lb fifth wheel. I set up my truck for the 70hp tune and we leave, get to the first set of SMALL rolling hills in I-80 heading toward Reno NV, my EGT starts rocketing up past 1400 degrees. I back out of the throttle and have a very difficult time getting the EGT to stay below 1300 (even when locking it out of 5th gear). Worried, I pull over and put the 50hp tune in and still have a VERY difficult time maintaining 1300 degree EGT.

Problem number two ---> Are these temps normal, even for the 50hp tune? I am not pushing my truck that hard and have to constantly back out of the throttle to keep the exhaust temp down to a relatively safe temp. I am willing to plop down the $600+ for exhaust, but only if that is going to cure my problem. Will taking the cat converter out of my loop make a big difference or do I need the full 4" kit?

During our trip to Idaho (on our way home), I had the 50hp tune in, started climbing the first hill out of Nampa on US-95, trans is in 4th gear and the torque converter is just about ready to lock-up...the tach goes nuts, up to 3,500 RPM and then down to idle and the check engine light comes on. Hey, no problem, I've got a code reader in my Quad Tuner! Read the codes, P0700 = trans problem. In a panic, I flash my truck back to stock and tow the next 200 miles in stock mode.

Problem number three ---> I don't know what happened here with my trans and I am pretty confident that it is not a problem with your tuner or the mappings, but my local Chevy dealer says that there is nothing wrong with my trans and that the "tuner" caused the failure. Any insight on this?

Observation ---> My fuel economy when towing WITH the tuner is absolutely OUTSTANDING!! Hats off to you for the hard work and great job in this area. I get 3-4 mpg better with the tuner than I EVER got without it while towing...that is a fact!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

JeffEdited by: bubz

·
Banned
328 Posts
"Okay, I bought my tuner (110hp version) directly from you about 7-10 days before Christmas..I'm going to give you the long version, just so you know the history. When I ordered it through Jeremy, I asked about towing my 10,000lb trailer in the 70hp mode with no other mods...he said no problem just watch the EGT. I immediately installed the 90hp tune....transmission shifts VERY poorly while relearning the correct shift pattern. No problem, I can deal with this. I then install an SPA DG211 boost/pyro setup (thermocouple in passenger side exhaust manifold). My temps with no trailer run around 800-900 at 70mph on flat ground and around 1000-1100 on hills with no trailer."

To start the SPA gauge reads extremely fast, which is good, but it can also make you panic. When compared to an Autometer the Spa style gauges usually read slightly higher beacuse they react faster ans show you thinkgs other gauges can't see. One of the first things I would ask is how much boost are you making? Some wastegates are set very light and you may need to adjust it to help with the egt's. If you know how much boost you are making this will help. I would be very curious to see your temps stock, just so we have a comparison. I wouldn't say that 1000 deg empty up a hill is all that abnormal especially with cruise set. Also what altitude are you at and what sort of hills are you climbing? Are these passes or rolling Texas style hills?

Remember that every time you reflash your PCM or change tunes the transmission will need some time to relearn again.

"Oh, and my DIC fuel economy is complete whacked out (which I kind of expected). "

I can't fix this, I wished I could.

"I install the 110hp tune just to play, to my surprise my turck feels like it is stock, no smoke..no power..nothing.

Problem number one --> I installed the 110hp tune, it has absolutely NO POWER, runs like stock, put it back to 70 oir 90 and it runs like a raped ape."

That is interesting. Does the tuner go through the motions and not tune? I know this may sound silly, but when was the last time your fuel filter was changed? I have seen this once or twice when people go to a higher tune and they don't get the additional power. Also please let me know what version tuner you have if you can.

"My wife and I had a trip planned for the first week in January to visit my nephew in Idaho...taking our 10,000 lb fifth wheel. I set up my truck for the 70hp tune and we leave, get to the first set of SMALL rolling hills in I-80 heading toward Reno NV, my EGT starts rocketing up past 1400 degrees. I back out of the throttle and have a very difficult time getting the EGT to stay below 1300 (even when locking it out of 5th gear). Worried, I pull over and put the 50hp tune in and still have a VERY difficult time maintaining 1300 degree EGT.

Problem number two ---> Are these temps normal, even for the 50hp tune? I am not pushing my truck that hard and have to constantly back out of the throttle to keep the exhaust temp down to a relatively safe temp. I am willing to plop down the $600+ for exhaust, but only if that is going to cure my problem. Will taking the cat converter out of my loop make a big difference or do I need the full 4" kit?"

Before you spend any more money, I would again like to see a comparison towing this trailer stock. This will tell us how the gauge is reading and if it seems a little high stock, we can either make an adjustment to the gauge or figure out what a safe temp on that particular gauge is. The other side of the coin is that maybe you are not making enough boost to keep the egt's down. We need to solve this because you should be able to tow most places in 50-70hp and not have to back out too much.

A 4" exhaust will help as well, but in the lower levels you should be able to tow without and problems.

"During our trip to Idaho (on our way home), I had

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"To start the SPA gauge reads extremely fast, which is good, but it can also make you panic. When compared to an Autometer the Spa style gauges usually read slightly higher beacuse they react faster ans show you thinkgs other gauges can't see. One of the first things I would ask is how much boost are you making? Some wastegates are set very light and you may need to adjust it to help with the egt's. If you know how much boost you are making this will help. I would be very curious to see your temps stock, just so we have a comparison. I wouldn't say that 1000 deg empty up a hill is all that abnormal especially with cruise set. Also what altitude are you at and what sort of hills are you climbing? Are these passes or rolling Texas style hills?"

Okay, when my temps get up in what I call the "danger" zone, my turbo is making a fairly constant 14-18 psi. The most boost I have ever seen is around 24 psi for short bursts. When I did flash my truck back to stock, and watch the EGT pretty close...most passes (hard pulls) my EGT will run around 1150 sustained. You also asked at what altitude does this happen, I see the same problem from around 500 ft to well over 5,000 feet..with no significant changes with regards to altitude. BUT, the outside temp between my 500ft start and the 5,000 foot climb is probably 40 degrees less. Finally, you asked about the type of hills, this actually is worse on the rolling hills than on the hard climbs (partially due to the fact the trans downshifts and RPM's come up).

"That is interesting. Does the tuner go through the motions and not tune? I know this may sound silly, but when was the last time your fuel filter was changed? I have seen this once or twice when people go to a higher tune and they don't get the additional power. Also please let me know what version tuner you have if you can."

My fuel filter was changed about 2,500 miles ago, and yes..I did get the "Power has been unleashed" screen. I am not sure which version my tuner is, but can look it up tonight (I believe it tells me it was produced in Nov '03). The 110hp tune on my truck felt like it was 100% stock...no lie. I even flashed it back to 50, drove it for a while and tried putting it back to 110hp again...same thing.

"I am glad your mileage is good, but we need to figure out the rest of your problems. I am on my way out of town, but if you will message me with a number I will contact you this evening or tomorrow and we can discuss this further"

I pm'd you my cell phone number.

....AND..... THANK YOU for the prompt attention!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I would keep everyone updated on this. Since Quad's last post on January 8th and my subsequent reply on the same day I have heard NOTHING from ANYONE at Quadzilla Diesel Performance. I PM'ed him my cell phone number, no reponse. I even figured, well..it's the weekend I'll give him until Tuesday afternoon to reply. Quad, when you read this, please PM me with how to return this unit, I'm going to go buy an Edge/Attitude setup.

I'm not trying to slander anyone here, but I think that everyone should know how some people are getting treated by supporting vendors. Maybe this is a fluke, but maybe not.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I got your message and tried to call 3 different times this weekend. I have not tried since Sat. though. I got a message 35 or something that all circuits were busy?? I just got into town yesterday evening.

To return a product call and get an RMA # and then when they recieve it you will recieve your refund.

I will try to call again after this, or you can call I am in the office as I type this.

Sorry for the trouble I have no idea why I could not reach you this weekend?

Quad

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quad,

There was something wrong with phones today, cuz I got this messege three times.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quad,

What are you trying to do... Are you trying to see how many complaints you can get on your customer service
. I see the Ford site has the same complaints on you about avoiding the customers with problems

Dennis

·
Banned
328 Posts
Actually if you want to read the complaints you will see that some people will never be happy. We did refund money and tried to refund other peoples money but they refused. Yes there are 3 people on the Ford site that complain, go read it and see how silly it looks.

Yes this guy has an issue and it is being resolved. I told him we will do whatever makes him happy. We have sold over 2000 tuners to date, a problem here and there is to be expected. How many tuners do you have in service?

Do you want to send a tuner to him so he can test egt's against mine? That is one of his complaints, can you fix that?

Other than the fact that you are silly why do you insist on trying to post anything negative you can about me? How about when Diablo has a problem or Edge?

You need to grow up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had great service from quad and his staff....Thanks for the help and a great product!

Thanks Kyle Banks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'll second that.
Jeremy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to set the record COMPLETELY straight....Quad and I had some issues. We spoke on the phone yesterday afternoon about my problems and Quad is cheerfully helping me out. Did we have a few problems along the way...aboslutely. Did Quad step up to the plate and admit that there was some type of communication failure within his organization...you bet. It was NEVER my intent to slam anyone personally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quad,

Is this your new forum?

www.quadzilladiesel.com

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dennis Perry said:
Quad,

Is this your new forum?

www.quadzilladiesel.com

What is going on here? A NEW FORUM AGAIN

I can't keep up with you guys anymore

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Quadzilla said:
How many tuners do you have in service?

Do you want to send a tuner to him so he can test egt's against mine? That is one of his complaints, can you fix that?

Geeez, Quad, dont'cha know that he has more vaporware tuners in service than anybody on the planet!

I am sure he could provide a test unit to compare, Bubz should only have to wait a year or two before it shows up.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Dennis Perry said:
Quad,

Is this your new forum?

www.quadzilladiesel.com

It is not currently. It is being administered without our permission and legal action is being taken.

Thanks for your interest.

Quad

Edited by: Quadzilla

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I find it pretty interesting the Cyclone Mfg Inc owns the quadzilladiesel.com domain name. It's really too bad that business owners don't focus more on creating the BEST customer service and less time pissing into the wind with their competetion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts