Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Quad 215 tune box I have has a very rough idle. The idle is better when the engine warms up but not perfect.

All else about the box seems to be working fine so far.

Anyone else have this problem ?

Edited by: gmccall

·
Registered
262 Posts
The v.120 215 tune (and only the 215 tune) has a fair amount of lope at idle -- particularly when cold. Once warm, my truck idles normally, but I can make it lope a bit by idling along in 2nd or 3rd.

Basically, the truck idles and sounds like like a '60's musclecar w/ a high duration camshaft -- not a problem if you ask me.

I'm sure Quad could change this for you if you wanted as only the v1.20 215 tune does this as far as I know (the v1.16 215 tune didn't do this at all on my truck).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Someone has to wonder why the fuel presssure needs to be messed with at idle.In reading here also the rattle that is omited under lite throttle.People running this contraption should consider the harm of all the timing will play in the long run.I know I would.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now Reggie, tell us what you really think.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Reggie said:
Someone has to wonder why the fuel presssure needs to be messed with at idle.In reading here also the rattle that is omited under lite throttle.People running this contraption should consider the harm of all the timing will play in the long run.I know I would.

You have to understand the magnitude of the rattle we are talkiing about. The 215 tune rattles less than a stock F*rd and even then only in a narrow RPM range under light throttle.

GM worked very hard at calibrating the Duramax to hide all injector noise. It's all about aesthetics -- not durability.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Shall we consider this? Have been to several places where I have heard said rattle to make this comparision. In no way is that a normal sound. Consider the Pilot injection Bosch so gifted the common rail with that quieted the engines such as Cummins HO and Duramax.Take this and amplify it ten fold, god awful. Look at the rest of the enhancers do the rattle while making in some cause more power?

Good luck your going to need it.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey guys,
We should listen here. People that drive powerstrokes know all about making power. They must just choose not to make big numbers because of a funny noises. Hey maybe it's why they don't have common rail. We are all doomed. Pilot injection is going to kill our engines. Too bad Cummins and Isuzu didn't figure it out before they made so many.

Thanks for the luck.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I think it should be something like this. It is your truck, you do whatever you want to it and if you blow it up it is your own damn fault. Live with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No need to flame me,I know you aren't looking at it as help.The rattle your hearing has nothing to do with pilot injection.It's timing.

This isn't a Ford GM debate.

GMC2500HD you are correct.

Now it would be best if you all go flame the guy who is adding a motor to his carnage.Not me.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
quadzilla power making OUR duramax sound like diesels of yesterday..........at one time it was promised
it would all be made to go away.......the only way I could get it(the rattle) to leave was to sell the P.O.S.

AND THEY ARE GETTING CHEAPER EVERY DAY

Edited by: sdaver

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am runing version 1.19. I have no rattles, and a very smooth idle. The only issue I have is an annoying surge from 1600-1800rpm when under light load. I called Quad, and he is working on a new 165hp and 215hp tune, that he claims will fix the surge, but I don't know how long before it is available. He claims it will also have increased low end torque like the 50-135hp tunes now have. Another interesting bit was he claimed he is seeing 10-15 more HP at peak, and much more in the lower RPM. Edited by: Amric

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
good luck Amric.........thats been promised for quite a while.........

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ya, he actually mentioned it to me right after the new 135hp and lower tunes came out, and I'm still waiting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still think that increasing the timing to where it rattles the truck is NOT good. But most of all i don't understand the lopey idle. i've read of several people mentioning it. i just don't know why you would need to mess with idle parameters in a tune. just leave the idle portion stock and start your code modifications at 750 RPM. granted i don't know anything about ECM programming, but i'd never run anything that loped, surged, or made my dmax rattle like that... then again i usually keep a truck for quite some time.. perhaps too much timing just scares me given what i know about gas engines...

however GMC2500HD - you said it.. to each his own. i just wouldn't run it on my truck. there seem to be better alternatives out there with less side effects..

JW

·
Registered
262 Posts
"perhaps too much timing just scares me given what i know about gas engines..."

What are you worried about -- detonation? It's a friggin diesel...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tell that to the people who run too much propane. a diesel or gas, neither like too much timing..

it would be interesting to see how much timing it would take to blow one up, but i'm not volunteering my truck!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I know of a few 24v Dodge that at idle with hot programming lope so bad that the truck probably jumps 200 rpm or better.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the record, my new Quad 135 tune has a much better idle than my 215 tune, and for city driving has more low end response.

I think this tune will stack just right.

Still....... the 215 tune is a tire chirper

1 - 19 of 19 Posts