Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that I am known to be a fairly pessimistic person. It is a rare deal for me to tell about how good something is...

I have owned a Quad 135 box since last Fall. Last weekend I decided to deprogram my truck, and send in the box for the reflash. I sent it Friday, I received it back Tuesday, UPS ground. Granted, I live in Austin which is roughly 200miles from Ft Worth. It was tough to drive the truck stock after driving it with the Quad box. I can't imagine going back to stock.

I thought the old 135 Quad box was good. The new 135 tune is even better. It is less noisy (i.e. less injector rattle), it has more at the low end (i.e. below 1800), and it is less surgy at the 1800-2000 mark than before. I think it would be tough to beat. And the smoke, well what can I say... As long as I back out of it before my 10secs are up (TX state law), I am good to go... It'll definitely lay down a good sized cloud as it did before (a GOOD thing :).

What I am saying is that the new Quad 135 box rocks!!!

FWIW...

Tim

·
Registered
275 Posts
luvthesmellofdiesel,could you gather some EGT #'s for me,mine seems to run a bit hot,I see 1700's and saw a spike of 1810 the other night,just curious as to what your #'s are. These #'s are in the new 135 tune which runs better than the 165,going to the track soon to verify.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, so I dropped in on Quad yesterday to get the latest tunes. All I can say is wow, the bottom end is very impressive now, to go with the already strong top end.

I'm running the 70hp now and it *feels* better than the old 110. Very responsive at off-idle throttle positions now.

Thanks Quad!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silvermax,

I have never been above 1200 yet on the 135 new tune. But I don't tow anything, and don't have many hills around here (Austin area). I have the 6spd gear box which might make a slight difference as well.

carterkraft,

We're getting the emission testing crap starting next year in the Austin area and so I was checking out the existing emission testing program run by the state for select counties since I have an old '79 Burb that surely wouldn't pass the sniffer and my '02 Duramax doesn't have CAT's or EGT on it either, so I was wondering how that would all work. According to what I read, diesels are exempt, and the program effects vehicles from 2-24 years old only, 25yrs and older are exempt. That would be '80 and back starting next year, cool!

I saw something on the website about "visible pollution" meaning excess smoke from the tailpipe, and it mentioned a link to some other website that has a 1-800 call in number (for Texas only) where people can actually call in and give a license plate number of a vehicle which is supposedly polluting and they cross-reference to your address and send you a warning in the mail. Can you believe that? It referenced a Texas law in transortation code section 647 regarding the fact that it is apparently a crime in the state of Texas to have more than 10secs worth of smoke coming from a vehicle's tailpipe on the public highways. I never new that, but I can't really get to 10secs worth of smoke anyhow (I have to shift), so I don't care... ;-) This all sounds like some Austin created BS anyhow.

Tim

·
Registered
60 Posts
How's the fuel mileage on the Quad compared to Hypertech. On my 03 I could get 21 on the hiway in the 90 HP mode. My 04 isn't broken in yet, but feel it will do the same.

What about EGT's. Does the Quad run hot? Will the 135 limp the Alli?

Edited by: dmaxer

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dmaxer,

I gained about 1-1/2MPG w/ the Quad in the city. Highway stayed the same. I get ~20MPG city & highway pretty consistently. I don't know anything about the Hypertech.

As for EGT's, I think they are no worse than stock, perhaps even slightly less, it's hard to tell. Again, I haven't been able to get above 1200 yet. I can easily get it to 1000 but I can at stock too.

Tim

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well . . . i tried the original Quad-135 and it worked great on the lower settings less than L4-135. On L4 it would shut down, L3 was fine. Got the new programming and it was that way on all settings, couldn't use the box. Even L-3 would then set a code which the old programming would not do. They said it was "my truck" and there are no problems anywhere else. I never quite believed that.

Even had all the latest updates installed by the dealer . . . no change at all. Not driveable, and quite dangerous when it shuts down at 75 mph and you have a big truck on your butt and have absolutely no throttle for about 20 seconds.

IMHO . . . lots of power with then new 135 tunes, but truck is not driveable when crusing down the road.

Ya know . . . I'm tired of testing for these guys . . . I buy a product and reasonably "expect" it to perform as advertised. I don't need to be a tester for their programming. I returned it and they refunded my money last week.

Lots of power . . . no driveability, like cruising down the highway, in fact it is dangerous the way it would quit without warning.

Great customer service . . . . poor product . . . it didn't work, that's the bottom line.

Edited by: Trader Jack

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm just trying to learn here, but why is it that 01 trucks seem to have problems with programmers?

I've had a HYPERTECH in my 03 and 04 with nary a problem, but I'd go for the Quad's extra horsepower if there weren't drawbacks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
dmaxer said:
I'm just trying to learn here, but why is it that 01 trucks seem to have problems with programmers?

I've had a HYPERTECH in my 03 and 04 with nary a problem, but I'd go for the Quad's extra horsepower if there weren't drawbacks.

There aren't any drawbacks (unless you have the '01) in my opinion. Since v1.20 I honestly wouldn't change a thing...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trader Jack, with the new update I'm having the same problem on the 110 hp setting. I'm tryin the 90 hp setting now, but have not run any hard runs yet. Givin the trans a time to re-learn!

Getin ready to put my 8k trailer on and headed down to Ft. Myers to give the lower settings a try with the load.

Did not have problems with zinging the trans with the old tune. Quad has had problems with our 01's. We must be a problem, Quad just having a time putin his finger on the problem!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand corrected, I reached 1350 today for the first time! Must be those new hot tunes! I gotta find some time to get my 4" exhaust installed that's still in the box in the garage. :-( There's never enough time.

Tim

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Chris --

The original tune I got with the Quad-135 box in January worked better as far as driveability. The only tune I could not run was the 135 tune with the old setup. The first couple of times it did it I "thought" it zinged the tranny, but it was just shutting down the engine. I sent the unit back per his suggestion to try the "new tunes". The new 135 did the same, as did the 110 and 90. The only setting that would actually set a code was 90 L3. It would set the 0234 code. When in the other levels you would not see a code set even though the same thing would happen . . dead horse for 15-20 seconds.

Talked to several people since then and it appears that I'm not alone here as I was led to believe. Even the Bully Dog box (which is very similar to Quads) is doing it. I even had all the latest updates installed at the dealer before giving up since I liked the hp the Quad 135 delivered.

I had no choice but to send it back, i couldn't drive the truck down the highway without it shutting down . . . a real pain.

I believe he's onto some good power tunes, but if you cant drive it, who cares . . . like a one lap wonder.

I just installed the Edge Hot Juice / Attitude tonight, along with the thermocouple for egt's and the ATS aluminum mount for the console. The ATS mount is a sweet setup, a little tight, but sure looks like a factory deal when done. Took it for a short ride tonight, feels pretty good so far on level 4, where I'll run it for a while 'til the tranny re-learns.

Stay tuned . . . I'll let you know after a week.

By the way . . I had more than enough cable to reach even though I got the 3-ft. extension . . . maybe they are making them longer now and we won't need the extension. I now have a spare. The cable came with the ATS unit as part of a package. I ordered everything from Dan at Xtreme Diesel In NJ . . . . nice people, no attitudes, and they included the ATS mount and cable for, yup "free" when I got the whole package.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trader jack,

I've had the Juice/Attitude on my 01 for a few weeks now, and I love it. I've only been on level 3 so far because my truck is completely stock except for the Juice and 33" BFGs, and haven't had any problems yet.

BTW, setting the low boost fueling on level 5 greatly improves throttle response.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Trader Jack for the info.

I have not had time to try out the other tunes at this point. Just draged the trailer out of the barn to get it ready for a trip to Florida this week.

Will give them a call and see what I can find out about this. Love the power, but like you said, not good
when it falls flat!

I just tryin to get the first lap in with this new tune!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Chris --

what do you thinK of the AFE stage 2? I've heard many pros and cons about different filters here. I'm just running a K&N drop-in replacement with the stock airbox and want to do a little better. everyone seems down on the AFE right now though.

Of course everyone was down on the K&N's also which I've been running on everything I own since they came out without a problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Matador --

Just went 24 hours on the Hot Juice / Attitude in level 4 and guess what . . . no problems at all. The tranny is still trying to get with the program, but all is well in my world so far on day 1. I'll let the tranny get itself together before I try Level 5.

My seat of the pants tells me that the level 4 125 hp setting is a little better than Quad's new 110 setting, although the tranny seemed to learn a little easier with Quad's tunes. I'll mess with the tranny settings sometime in the future.

The biggest thing is that it hasn't gone flat yet.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
dmaxer said:

One major drawback! It will limp the tranny in a New York minute on the 135 hp setting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think that there are some misconceptions about what the Quad-135 box (with new programming) is really doing. I initially "thought" that the tranny was going limp, but it was not. The engine was actually shutting down as if it detected something wrong while just cruising at a steady speed. Never happened while accelerating.

I don't think it's the '01 trucks at all, but the programming with some of these tuners. Seems that the Bully Dog and Quad boxes are the ones with the problems. After trying to get the Quad-135 box with two different sets of programs to work, and finding the same situation with the BD-150, there may be more to to this than we all know, I don't know, but they should figure it out. The original Quad 135 programming worked, but not the Level 4 135 mode, or "any" of the "new" modes at all. Same consistent failure.

Don't know if it's the box or the programming (I really think it's the programming), but it's time to blame the people building these things for the problem, not the trucks. They are the ones who said they will work . . . but they don't. Getting tired of this, went thru it in '97 with Hypertech on the 350V-8. Similar problem.

Quad was great about refunding the $$$ for the box, so he does back his product up, and I respect that. But, the point remains that it just doesn't work like it is supposed to.

I'll say this in hindsight . . . I'm now running the Edge / Hot Juice / Attitude combination which "I wish I would have bought from the start" . . . not had a problem as yet, no shutdown, no limp tranny, NO PROBLEM. IN fact, even the smoke is better in level 4 and 5 . . . and with the built-in safeguards . . .

Draw your own conclusion . . . it's real easy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
"I don't think it's the '01 trucks at all,"

Then why hasn't anyone with an '02-'04 had this problem?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts