Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 D/A and my Predator has given me fits since the day I bought it. I had to have James @ Runnin... give me 2 custom tunes in order to remove the speed limiter and to not throw the overboost code(s). My understanding is both tunes are what v1.10 contains from Diablo. I had the 65hp and the 85hp tunes. I ran both tunes for a few weeks of mostly in town driving. My findings were this (Predator):

Lots of smoke - even mid-throttle it was throwing all kinds of slightly black smoke.

Not real smooth when "kicking in"- Around 2K the thing would just seem to start to go real hard. Didn't matter whether I was light in the throttle or not.

Averaged 17.9mpg in town on the 65hp tune.

Cruise control on the highway was a joke. The thing would constantly slow down, then speed up, the slow down...It seemed like it couldn't hold a steady no matter what.

Power was definately there, just had the above issues.

Based on these issues above, I decided to break down and try the Quad 110 (I do tow a toy hauler so I decided to keep it mellow for now). I took the truck back to stock and removed the Predator tune(s). Then, I installed the 70hp Quad to start. Impressions below...

NO SMOKE! The thing doesn't smoke no matter what setting I have it on (I haven't tried 110 yet)...

All tunes installed easily and none of them throw the stupid overboost code.

Really smooth when the power starts to "kick in". It is way more subtle than what I experienced with the Predator.

Cruise control holds a steady no problem.

I slammed in the 90hp tune and I have been running around all day with that. No issues! YEAH!

EGT is wayyyy lower than the Predator, too. Quad, you definately have the upper hand for now...thanks for a great product! Unfortunately, I had to burn almost a grand to get something I liked...live and learn.

This is by no means meant to be slamming Diablo or James @ runnin'. He has been more than helpful. I think they have a great product, I just think there are a few more kinks that need to be worked out. I appreciate both products and I want to re-iterate that these are only my opinions/observations and not representative of anyone else.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
If you like the 110 hp tune the 135 is awesome.........the 215 is insane if you have never ridden in one.

Glad you like it.

T
NY

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
GassedRacing said:
Based on these issues above, I decided to break down and try the Quad 110 (I do tow a toy hauler so I decided to keep it mellow for now). I took the truck back to stock and removed the Predator tune(s). Then, I installed the 70hp Quad to start. Impressions below...

Cruise control holds a steady no problem.

What speed did you try the cruise at?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In AZ, the highway speed limit is 75. Without the programmer, I can cruise 75-80 no problem. With the pogrammer (Predator) it won't cruise much over 60. I ran the Quad last night on Stage 3 and it had slight problems around 75 but not bad. I'll back it down in terms of tunes before a long highway run, that's for sure.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
What problems with cruise?

·
Registered
129 Posts
My Predator (1.10b) does the same on cruise especially from 70-80. Hoot, it won't maintain a constant throttle. It's in and out of the throttle constantly. I've gotten used to the power coming on so quick at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Will the Quad 135 cause any trans problems.

Geno

·
Registered
21 Posts
geno said:
Will the Quad 135 cause any trans problems.

Geno

Geno, I have been running the quad 135 for a few months now and if you really stab the throttle in 5th gear it will limp the tranny. other than that the trans shifts funny for a few days untill it relearns for the increased HP. Just lock out OD and have some fun. so far so good...

Greg

·
Banned
328 Posts
If you take a fresh tranny and don't abuse it the 135 will not limp the tranny. If you start beating on it and racing it all the time then 5th gear will slip in short order.

I have customers that have a lot of miles on 135 and they are fine, I also have them that put 250 miles on them and fried the tranny!

If you have any doubt use the 110hp! I think the 135 just steps over the line on what they can handle in stock trim.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quad,

Please clean out your mailbox!!! Tried to send you an PM but it won't go through since the box is overflowing.

Also sent one direct through your website. Wondered if you got it?

·
Banned
328 Posts
I cleaned it out. Sorry it fills up pretty fast.

I am not sure if I got your message or not off the website. It is hard to put handles and real names together. We also get so many emails that it is hard for me to see everyone of them.

So send me a message or pm me your name and I can check.

Hate to say it, but I am heading hunting. Have a good weekend.

Quad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts