Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

got the 110HP from John (thanks John), plugged it in yesterday lunch and loaded the 50HP tune (I was a little timid on this I know
).

First impression was - I thought the box would have been smaller.

Second - It's easy to use (even though it hung the first load). Quick and simple to use (nice).

Then I get off down the road to let it warm up and once warmed - mash it..
. Hummm, not bad - Not break neck or anything but not bad.. Last night I drive it home on the 50HP setting and I noticed that I have the tick now, and the engine seems a little noisier - get home, install my Truxedo bed cover and then run to the store to get Finding Nemo (btw: good movie
) - On the way to the store the tranny starts clunking pretty hard when changing into first.

Get to the store and I really don't like the tranny clunk so I switch to the 70HP tune - Well It can't hurt right!?!
. On the way home I still get a clunk, now it's very quiet but it's still there and the engine is still a little louder than stock 50 to 70 made no difference in noise. Oh and at 70HP, it's starting to wake up
I can't wait to do the 110

This morning on the way to work - no first gear clunk, woo whoo!!, for now. However I'm a little dissapointed - Lost to a freaking Hyundi Tiberon (sp) - he got the jump on me at the light and he was a nose infront till we backed off.. He couldn't pull away and I couldn't gain..

So far no smoke even when I mash it and other than the tranny clunk in to first it's pretty sweet EGT temps are lower than pulling my 5er in stock mode.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You have the same observations as I did when I first installed the tuner. Let the tranny adjust after a few miles and it really shifts smooth. Bumping the level up and down will cause the tranny to relearn the power being fed to it, but it doesn't take long for it to smooth out the shifts again.

The 70 seems to rattle more than the 90 or 110 in my testing. I like the 90 a lot for "normal" daily driving and the 110 is great fun as well.

The 90 will smoke a touch but you have to really lay into it, and the 110 just a bit more that you can see in the mirror when driving away from Hyundi's....and mostly anything else.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that the tranny might take a little to learn - but this evening I had to switch it to the 90HP setting and reset the tire size
- OOOOO yeah.. Now we're talking.. I'll be looking for that freaking Hyundi in the morning..

has anyone noticed any noise other than just the engine being a little louder.. Mine seem to sound like pinging in a gasser?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just wait until you step up to the 110 setting.

That's the engine noise I was referring to. A little bit more rattle with the added HP. The 70 seems to rattle a bit more than the 90 or 110 I think. Oh well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I kind of like the extra noise. Reminds me theres something special under the hood.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have to agree on the 90HP - man it's nice.. loads better than the 70 or the 50 for noise.. seems quieter, and the mash pedal, well - what can I say... Move over!
Temps are great too..! All in all very happy. - All I have to do now is see what temps I get with the 5er on the back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The extra noise is just the extra timing thats in the program. On very cold mornings it sounds like my old 6.5

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does the quad work all off idle on up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It works with 100% of the throttle range. Works right away even when the motor is cold unlike the Juice where it waits till the motor is 80% up to temp before it turns the power on. I just take it easy till my motor warms up is all. The low end grunt off idle is not there like a Juice box but is better than stock. Mid range and top end, both of these haul ass.

·
Registered
275 Posts
blowinsmoke did ya ever get some temp #'s with your 5er hooked up?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry - wont pull it again now till next year now.. - It's tucked up in bed for the winter. That said though.. this is Texas and it's like 78 outside right now..
Crazy weather down here.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Its like Mac says, "Dmax is a drug and I'm hooked." I just got my 110 tuner back from Quad, I had to have it upgraded from 50-70-90-110 to 70-110-135-165. I never even ran the 50hp tune so I eliminated it and added the higher tunes. I just got gauges too so I can run the higher hp's but probably won't go above 135 so I don't limp the alli. I don't plan on hammering the alli but would like the added power in the event I do and upgrade the alli too!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to hear what EGT's the 70HP put's out pulling something like a 12k 5er.. and I thought the 135 would limp the tranny.Edited by: blowingsmoke

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, 135 limps/zings the tranny quite easily. You shouldn't even have to hammer it down. I have found that of 70/90/110/135, the 135 is the smoothest setting though so am just learning to finesse it. Can't imagine 165 on the stock tranny. Guess the O/D lockout would get some use!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts