Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone install a pyrometer on there LMM motor? If so what kind and how hard of a job is it?

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I put in a PPE EGT guage. I placed it in the corner of the dash and inside a carbon fiber Autometer guage pod..............installation is pretty straight forward. I chose to drill and tap the driver's side exhaust manifold...........I did this while the motor idled, which blows all the shavings out. It's always scary doing this on your brand new truck.....my first time was a little nerve racking but a complete success.........I have since done other trucks and never had a problem..............go for it..........you'll learn something new and save yourself some bucks.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I did this while the motor idled, which blows all the shavings out. .........I have since done other trucks and never had a problem..............go for it..........you'll learn something new and save yourself some bucks.
Interesting... despite the noise of working next to the running diesel engine, is it easy to do without getting burned? I assume you do this thru the wheelwell with the inner fender pulled down?? And why did you choose the manifold for sensor placement? Is that the recommended placement?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go to dieselmanor.com , you can look at the install instructions they have for our trucks. The drill & tapping is the easy part, wiring the gauges to dim with the gauge cluster & routing the wires wore me out. Also you might re-think drilling with the engine running, if you break that drill bit off in the exhaust your turbo is the next stop down the pipe.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Interesting... despite the noise of working next to the running diesel engine, is it easy to do without getting burned? I assume you do this thru the wheelwell with the inner fender pulled down?? And why did you choose the manifold for sensor placement? Is that the recommended placement?
The manifold gives you pre turbo temps that are I would say more important, doing it post turbo the egt's have already cooled down and you don't really know what egt's your tubo was feed. When the duramax is idling, the temp of the exhaust isn't too hot its barible.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Go to dieselmanor.com , you can look at the install instructions they have for our trucks. The drill & tapping is the easy part, wiring the gauges to dim with the gauge cluster & routing the wires wore me out. Also you might re-think drilling with the engine running, if you break that drill bit off in the exhaust your turbo is the next stop down the pipe.
Here's another that's on this site

·
Banned
4,035 Posts
i just took my manifold off and drilled it thtat way. welll that is after i snapped my drill bit so i had no choice(. just make sure you use plenty of cuting oil and you will be fine or take the manifold off and be 100% safe

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
that sucks fire i fill for ya

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It's easy. It shouldn't take you more than an hour to do the whole thing. Yes, you can do it while running without getting burned. Remove the fender liner to get to the manifold. You have to install it post-turbo to get accurate readings, install it on the passenger side manifold. Take your time, follow the directions and you have nothing to worry about. You will be surprised at how easy these manifolds are to drill and tap.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's easy. It shouldn't take you more than an hour to do the whole thing. Yes, you can do it while running without getting burned. Remove the fender liner to get to the manifold. You have to install it post-turbo to get accurate readings, install it on the passenger side manifold. Take your time, follow the directions and you have nothing to worry about. You will be surprised at how easy these manifolds are to drill and tap.
post manifold or pre manifold, and why passenger side and not driver side

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
post manifold or pre manifold, and why passenger side and not driver side
I went ahead and bought the BD Manifol. Its the driver side. Second what does it take to get EFI to read EGTs.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well mine is not a LMM, but I went with the BD exhaust driver side manifold replacement.

Pics in My Garage.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
j you just need to install your egt probe and then run it over to the v2 it wires into the orange blocks on the back of the v2
Yeah I did alil research. There a few they had problems with. EFI fourm says use non-grounded k-type thermocouple. Heres the link of the thread if anyone would like to read. Thanks Fire
Here is one that they had success with:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5427

·
Banned
4,035 Posts
yeap true forgot about tht one. i would just get yourself the edge insight you can log on tht as well willl be much easier imo especially untill the v2 has stand alone capability

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
My plans is to install a 10.5" touch screen auto PC. Want to beable to monitor, flash tune, use iTunes and play DVDs. I like that screen you have in the dash. Are you able to use steering wheel controls?

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Do you like that nav better than factory stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts