Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
1984 GMC K1500
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Banks kit is so old, there is no spot for a pyrometer probe cast into the manifold, so while the turbo is off, plan to drill and tap the manifold in the circled area. Should read both banks just before turbo.
Would there be a better place to put it? Its easy access here and not in the way.
Thanks

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle wheel

Ronald Reagan fan
Sounds good馃憤Before it reaches the turbo is where it should go and being able to read both banks at once.

Reactions: OkDually

Registered
Looks good to me!

Reactions: OkDually

Registered
1984 GMC K1500
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I鈥檓 not sure why Banks put theirs where they did later, as it only seems to read one bank to me.
(Pic from web, my manifold doesn鈥檛 even have this boss)

Bicycle part Bumper Automotive tire Wheel Gas

Registered
I would put it on the driver side near the collector. I was able to drill mine with the manifold still in with a cordless drill.

The driver side is going to be hotter. It's just the physics of it. The intended purpose of measurement is to monitor the temps in the cylinder so you want to get as close to that as you can. I don't see the point on monitoring both banks if you know the driver side is hotter.

The spot you proposed is just fine as well, but know it's going to be a few degrees cooler than the other spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts