Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pyrometers been bouncing around the dial lately like a set off double D's on a jog. Goes up to 1000 down to -200 just wacky. I checked all grounds all wires etc everything checks AOK. Their Autometer Lunar Series guages. When it happens the needle just goes crazy, then returns to what I consider the "right" temp. It will bottom out to the lowest possible temp(the close side of 1600* or 5pm on a clock) Cant figure it out...Is it the guage or something else I can check out. If it happens at night time, the guage lights dont flicker or flutter...so I dont think its a grounding issue. Any Ideas?

Bill

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When mine did that I found the wire loose where I tapped into the fuse panel. Later! Frank

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know, My CB radio is affecting it now, and when my CB isnt on, My radio will screw it up too. Like if theirs a loud commercial on XM it will screw up. And then if someone is really bombing out with a powerful CB radio, it will affect my guages also. Its weird thought, it only seems to happen when the trucks been driven for a little bit. Im going to start with changing the ground to another spot, and if that doesnt work im gonna smack the person that installed it in the head
, Just Kidding.......see ya ll tommorrow.....Ol' ladys gonna be designated driver(she dont know that yet) Im gonna tie one on big time....esp. after the day I had today.

Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just one of my experiences: the one time i saw this happen it actually didnt up being a connection, but the insolation on the wire. While trying to find the problem checking all the connections and such I found that where the heat shrink was convering the connections down by the probe, the insolation around the wires had been heated to the point that the two wires almost touching. When the heat from the engine would warm up the area, the restistance between the two wires would decrease and the probe would bounce irratically all over the map. So I parted the wires, heat shrinked them apart. Probably not your problem, but just an experience

1 - 6 of 6 Posts