Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric

Got any good sugestions where to put the pyro box, sure would make it easyer if I knew before I start this installiation.

Geno

·
Registered
939 Posts
Geno,

I put mine under the cup holder insert in the center console. It just pops right out, there is a lot of room in there.

Bob

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Little velcro and it's been there for two years...

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes what is a pyro box?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The SPA 211 comes with an amplifier that takes the minute voltage generated by the thermocouple and amplifies it to a usable level.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hoot said:
The SPA 211 comes with an amplifier that takes the minute voltage generated by the thermocouple and amplifies it to a usable level.
Ok now we know what it does for the scientist. How about Pyro for dummy's this time

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That lill thingamajig that you stick in the exhaust makes eeelectricity. Bu it don't make much. So then thar is this little black box thingy that takes the little eeelectricity and makes it bigger. That way that round thing with the numbers on it can show haw stankin hot you got that thar thin

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
47 Posts
O, U speaky nu langage? May-B wee uz nu 4um 4 dis! Kool

·
Registered
101 Posts
hoot said:
That lill thingamajig that you stick in the exhaust makes eeelectricity. Bu it don't make much. So then thar is this little black box thingy that takes the little eeelectricity and makes it bigger. That way that round thing with the numbers on it can show haw stankin hot you got that thar thin
See guys with pyro for dunnys we can all be like scientists

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Geno

On the base of the steering column is a metal plate use you imagination ...

Mac

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys for all the confusion, years ago when I had my big truck the EGT was called a pyrometer, we drove by this instead of a tach

Geno

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hoot said:

Dam nation hoot

whar did youins larn to speek anglish okie stile

Perverserty

·
Registered
448 Posts
geno said:
Sorry guys for all the confusion, years ago when I had my big truck the EGT was called a pyrometer, we drove by this instead of a tach

Geno

It's still called a pyrometer. EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature, I think EGT gauge is maybe faddish or something like calling nitrous oxide NOZ because it's pronounced that way in a movie.Smart people driving heavy and modified trucks (even if small ones) still drive by it

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
thermocouple is the thin metal device that creates current when heated. The part that gets inserted into the exhaust stream.

pyrometer is the whole setup.... thermocouple, wire harness, amplifier and gauge.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
125 Posts
Why is it necessary to monitor EGT?

(I need a laymans response, read my sig)

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Your exhaust gas temp is probably the hottest part of your engine during operation.

Engines are designed to tolerate a maximum combustion temperature that will not melt or damage internal parts.

Without modifications there is no "need" to monitor exhaust gas temperatures. When all is well it will never exceed designed in limits.

When manipulating fuel, air and boost with aftermarket modifications, the combustion temperatures can rise dramatically.

By monitoring egt, we can safely add power without melting or damaging the engine. This is not to say we aren't shortening the overall life of the engine but we are containing a meltdown, so to speak.

How do you control egt? Remove foot from accelerator.

EGT can also be controlled with free flowing exhaust, better flow air cleaners.. properly mapped fuel injection and boost.

EGT is also a good monitor of fuel mixture. Lean burns hotter. All aircraft have pyro's as standard equipment. Race cars use them to monitor combustion and tune.

Max temps? Aluminum melts at around 1100 deg. The water in the jacket prevents the heads from ever getting close to that temp as well as the fact that they are bolted to a large cast iron mass (the block).

The pistons are aluminum also. They get cooled by air flow through the combustion chamber as well as with oil sprayed onto the underside by oil jets. Our pistons also have oil gallies cast into the crown with access holes for the sprayed oil to enter. Heat also transfers to the coolant through the cylinder walls. (A lot thinner than you realize)

The turbocharger is probably the most vulnerable unit to high EGT's. Our water cooled TC certainly helps but the impellor doesn't get much help from the cooling water. I was told the weak link in the turbo is the housing clamp that holds the cold side to the hot side.

We typically like to stay 1250 or lower continuous load. Much higher for short peaks. Some have hit 1700-1800.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
490 Posts
Back in the days of olde, when I drove truck, I had a Mack with a "300" in it. 300 HP with around 1000 ft lbs of torque, stock. Pulled 80,000 quite well. Mack trucks with certain engines, such as the 300, 300+ (315 HP) and 350's all came standard with pyrometers. Some were nice and big, 4" in diameter!! Some had "Manifold Pressure" guages. Today they are labeled "Turbo", "Boost" or "Turbo Boost". A turned up Mack could develop 50 Lbs of boost!!!!!

We changed our fuel filters when we noticed the engine power decreasing, usually about every other oil change.

My last Mack had three 2 quart oil filters and held 15 gallons of oil. Supposed to be good for 25,000 miles, but we did 12,000 mile changes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts