Diesel Place banner

PVC reroute Worth it?

16K views 56 replies 33 participants last post by  Polish Eagle 
#1 ·
I thinking of doing the pvc reroute on my LLY is it worth it? if so what kind of gains do you get from it

#2 ·
By rerouting the pcv you will keep the oily mist from getting into your turbo where is doesn't belong anyway and plugging up your intercooler. :grd:

#5 ·
Check my garage for the other end of the price spectrum.;)

#7 ·
x2 just keeps things cleaner, cheap to do pull the hose off the intake push heater hose into end of hose and run down the side of motor, this way you can put it back on if needed

#8 ·
X3! It's a good mod.

#10 ·
Biggest reason? If you don't do this, you run the risk of blowing your intercooler boots off under power. When that happens, you have no power.

#11 ·
i've yet to do this as well... i'm pretty lazy lol will this at all effect the turbo lubricity? i know it has internal oil pumped into it. but would the oil mist that gets shot into it from the pcv help lube the veins? or does it actually wear it down faster? sorry if this horse has been beat to death.

#15 ·
Well to start with the oil is introduced to the intake side not the exhaust side where the veins are so it would not help and two if it was in the exhaust side it would cause carbon build up in the exhaust and gum things up worse. so thats my two cents and do it it s a good mod

#12 ·
Honestly, I've not heard anything about these aspects of the reroute. Keep in mind that the lubricity issue is one pertaining to the fuel rail, not the intake.

The oily mist that comes from the PCV system into the turbo intake is not intended to be a lubrication source for the turbo; in ideal conditions, there should be nothing coming from the PCV into the turbo.

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
I just ordered my PCV reroute, and EGR blocker from Tony`s shop today, the girl that answered the phone knew exactly what I needed, and really nice on the phone....I wish all places a person calls were like this.

I also ordered an AFE mouth piece....cant wait till it all comes in

#16 ·
Just curious. I did this mod, do i have to put it back to the stock setup to pass inspection?

#17 ·
Unless the inspector is a moron, Yes.

#21 ·
Random thought of the day:
:confuzeld

I don't see why I need to do the reroute, I have no performance issues and CA has smog checks now.
Nobody said that you need to do there-route, or that not doing the re-route will cause performance issues. It's your truck, do what you want, nobody is telling you otherwise. Some of us just enjoy the peace of mind.

#23 ·
Do what you want... this is not a performance mod; it's a "keep from losing all power" mod. If you don't reroute it, no big deal. But you risk blowing an intercooler boot off under power due to the accumulation of oil in the intercooler... then you have no power. Getting 'em back on and staying in place is the trick then. Usually requires a lot of cleaning and some hair spray.

But what do I know...

#20 ·
I re-routed my PCV to keep the oil fumes from dumping into my turbo and intercooler. When it is time to do the "Smog", I just disconnect the hose, and plug it back together. Takes 1 minute-- I also like how much cleaner the engine stays with the re-route.

#25 ·
There ya go...

#26 ·
So an oil leak from an intercooler boot could lead to a cracked piston? I am sorry I just don't buy this upgrade, I don't see how my stock turbo and a little bit of leaking oil can cause my boots to come off. Maybe if I had a big turbo then I could see it but I don't so why do I need the upgrade. I think you all who have the upgrade done its great for you, but I am able to share my opinion regardless of what you guys believe or pitch to others.

#27 · (Edited)
No, oil will build up in your intercooler, stock turbo or not, then when you hit the pedal a little harder then normal it will send up a slug of oil into the motor. Leaky boots is just another issue.

We are not trying to talk you into anything, just informing you of what could or will happen in time.

If you do a little reserch in many threads you will find awsome results from hundreds and maybe thousands of people that have done a pcv reroute of one way or another.

I build d-max trucks for a living and i didnt get there by bull shitting people into things they dont need.
Please do not buy my kit, I only want to help those that want to be helped.

Randy the hack has nothing to gain by you doing a pcv reroute.

#30 ·
Has nothing to do with the PCV reroute...

#29 ·
The intercooler is there to cool pressurized air. You cannot pressurize a liquid like you can a gas; thus, you try to increase the boost contained within the IC and the boost tubes and you can wind up blowing the boots off rather than pressurizing the air in the system. The pressure has to go somewhere, and if you wind up with enough oil in the intercooler, the boot is going to go first. Do a little searching and you'll find this is a rather common problem.

As Tony said, you don't believe us or don't want to do it... fine by me/us. I have nothing to gain here... just trying to be helpful. I could not care less if you choose to not do the mod to your truck.

Good luck either way...

#31 ·
The intercooler is there to cool pressurized air. You cannot pressurize a liquid like you can a gas; thus, you try to increase the boost contained within the IC and the boost tubes and you can wind up blowing the boots off rather than pressurizing the air in the system. The pressure has to go somewhere, and if you wind up with enough oil in the intercooler, the boot is going to go first. Do a little searching and you'll find this is a rather common problem.

As Tony said, you don't believe us or don't want to do it... fine by me/us. I have nothing to gain here... just trying to be helpful. I could not care less if you choose to not do the mod to your truck.

Good luck either way...

Ok I think you guys are taking this a bit personally, and I understand how that is possible. However, I have talked to mechanics too who don't see why I need it or why it is needed. So you can understand my misunderstanding on this whole deal. I am only trying to gain information on things too here thats why I am on this forum. Unfortunately I live in CA and the smog laws are strict, and the PCV reroute will not pass smog. So I am not really certain why you would recommend it to people in CA especially when you know full well that it not smog ok?

#32 ·
Keep in mind, depending on how you route things, you could swing the hose and run it back into the PCV port on the turbo MP in about 2 minutes... so no problems with smog testing.

I'm not taking this personally (well, maybe just a little), just trying to convey the fact that a) there is a technical rationale for doing this, and b) the rationale for doing this has nothing to do with a product that we're selling.

#35 ·
Im not getting involved in the rest of this thread .. here is why you want to do it. I just finally got around to doing mine today (followed Radar's) along with my blocker and other crap... Now I want to pull all the plumbing and the intercooler to clean it out. You can see the bigger pics in garage. I cant make them bigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.