Diesel Place banner

putting a plow on a 2500 hd

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  woodchuck2 
#1 ·
i want to put a plow on my 2003 2500 hd 4x4 ext cab. i was wondering if any one recommends a plow for the truck and where i can get the parts todo it my self. also if any one has done it how much im looking to spend.

thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Hey, you will find everyone has a preferance for plows. Myselve I have had 2 boss plows now. Love em but should have went with a V this time. Another popular plow is blizzard. They are cool as the sides can extend to go from 8 feet to 10 or 8.6 to 11 feet.

As for price I can't really help as price differences in the US vs Canada but some other members will chime in.

I recomend checking out the following sites

http://www.plowsite.com/
http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/index.php

EDIT> FYI
http://www.bossplow.com
http://www.blizzardplows.com/

#3 ·
I use a Western 8' poly blade Ultramount. They run around $4,000. I got mine when I bought the truck new using the $1,000 upfitters rebate I ended up with $2950 in the snow plow. Easy to install.

#4 ·
i myself have 5 hiniker 9.5' V-plows, love the blows. boss makes a good plow too. havent had any experience with a western or blizzard.

#5 ·
fisher

how are fisher RD min mount plows.

#7 ·
i qm jost going to use it to plow my driveway and some other peoples. not to much. how are fisher v plows and are they worth the extra money.

#8 ·
The Hiniker C plow is great for driveways.. it flips over for back dragging works great is tight areas.. I believe they are available in 8 and 9' I have the 8' on my truck and it works great!!
Cost are about the same as a v-plow it is getting towards the end of the season you may be able to find a deal on one..
Jon

#9 ·
i have a boss v and love it, if your just useing it for ur driveway and a few others you may just want to get a straight blade in order to save a couple bucks

#10 ·
Back blade imortant for driveways...especially if there in front of a driveway and you have to do them in reverse. Not sure about Fishers and there trip edge (great for parking lots,roads) if you can install a back blade.

#11 ·
First off..I assume that the truck warranty is a moot point right? If the truck has a plow package, it'll be easier to fight them if they try to deny work due to plowing.

With that said, I would go with a Fisher 8 ft. straight blade. Big enough for all around use. I made the mistake of going with a 7.5 RD when I had my ext cab, and it's worse since I went up to a crew cab. I'm working on getting a 8.5 Fisher as I type. As far as back blading, I have never had a problem.

I also believe that the Fisher is the easier of the bunch to install..

#12 ·
i have meyer 8' but rather have a boss v plow.so much faster if u work by the job.meyer plows are costly to maintain .boss are really cheep to maintain.dont know about any other makes,sorry

#14 ·
I own 3 fishers all back blade fine 2 straights one v and one boss v , the boss back blades the worst but all in all the fisher, western and boss are decent pieces, if you have he cash to blow buy the v but the straight will do you fine...

#15 ·
I installed my western ultra mount pro plus 8' myself. Not a hard job at all.

#16 ·
Go with a local dealer......they can support you. Companies i would look at are wester, fisher, boss(for thier straight blades) blizzards, snowway aint bad either. Stay away from Meyers IMO. Check out letstalksnow......great site. I havent been to plowsite in a year or so.

For just your own use I wouldnt wory about production from a blade like a blizzard power plow or any of the V blades. Also I wouldnt worry about back blades or anything like that.....just back drag a lil and turn around. Your not needing fast production becasue your not doing it as a biz. If you do it for $$$ remember insurance is the killer in this biz. Most insurance companies dont want to hear you are plowing for profit and if you are they will hammer you. Look into the insurance deal. There are 3 basic "grades" of plows.....they call em different things but you have your home owner grade, your regular duty, then your HD or commercial grade. Most manufacturers make a blade in each category. Most companies make a up to a 7.5' blade in regular duty and comercial duty but anything bigger than 7.5 is generaly a "HD" or "comercial" grade blade.

Western and fisher and blizzard are now all owned by the same company. Western and Fisher have very simmilar electronics and they are good IMO. Thier blades and mounting is a bit different.....for your use I would lean western.

#17 ·
I bought the 8' fischer which was installed when i bought the truck. Love the plow, just wish i had bought the V-plow for the heavy snow's. I have had no problems with the plow. Have had westerns and fischers in the past and used a meyers when i worked for the local town highway. The western and meyers are good plows and are easier to carry for the truck but fischer really shines in the deep snow and for cutting and pushing banks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.