Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did what I thought I would never do, I put gas in my 7.3 today.What did I hurt? Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Did you run it? Hopefully you caught it before you ran it!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I understand that truckers would but gasoline in diesel to prevent gelling in winter. That was years ago. Dont know if it would be a problem for the new systems. I also understand the during the mixing process things can get very volatile. After it is all mixed it is more stable however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got an 86 F-250 for free from my neighbour because she put gasoline in it, she didnt run it, but i asked my other neighbour what would have happened if she did.....the glow plugs could crack and fall into the cylinder, the head gasket could go, and in a really bad case, the head could crack

·
Registered
124 Posts
What 7.3 is it?

If it is an IDI and you ran it, it will melt stuff.

If it is a Powerstroke, If I understand correctly the fuel filter will stop it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have seen this before. What I have seen in almost every case is the motor stops or won't start. I never heard of it blowing a head gasket or melting anything. In fact gasoline wont fire in the engine and thats part of the problem. It has to high of an ignition point. I know it sounds backwards but thats the way it is. Just put diesel in a gas burner and it won't shut off. thats why they call it dieseling. the compresson is lighting the diesel. But the diesel engine can't light the gasoline with compresson. My advise is drain it, bleed it , do what everyou can to get it out. Put in diesel fuel with maybe some lube additive. Or even add some ATF to the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yea, most people dont' realize that while gasoline is much more volitile and explosive, it is actually very resistant to compression ignition. the best thing to do is mix at 25% cheap motor oil with the gasoline u put in the tank and run, that will stabilize the gasoline, also add some power service to the tank to raise cetaine

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would say to be on the safe side to drain the gas out of the tank and fill it with the correct fuel. I know a guy that put gas in his semi truck and it was way too much. It blew one of the head bolts out. Made a big mess. I would say though if you mixed oil in the tank with the gas you should be ok. I know a guy that has a dodge and when he changes oil in his Cummings he pours the old used motor oil in his fuel tank. He burns it. He puts the used oil in his fuel tank than tops it off with good fuel. A cummings will burn dirty fuel where a power stroke wont.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife put gas in my 97 PWS F-250 one day(she rarely drives it and never even thought about diesel) and called me asking if I had been having trouble with my truck. I immediately panicked and said "no"....why? She described the truck spewing smoke like a mosquito machine and loss of power....after we figured out what happened, I drained the fuel filter, switched to the other tank (this truck has two), and cranked the engine. The minute the diesel fuel hit the engine it smoothed out and I have been running it without problems now for over 2 years. She drove the truck on gas for approximately 7 miles and the tank she filled was not completly empty of diesel so it wasn't like she was on straight gasoline. In days of old, many diesel owners would add gasoline to the tank to clean the injectors but todays modern injectors don't need the treatment.

I did pump the tank filled with gasoline and used it in my lawn mowers for the next year. They smoked a little but no worse for the wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts